What's new

Please Seperate the “Your Daw Section”

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
What about general DAW questions?

I think this would lead to having less threads read. I'm certainly not going to go through each subcategory every time I'm on.

stonzthro

+1 on this! I could care less about anyone else's DAW and rarely dive into this subfolder for this very reason.

DivingInSpace

What about general DAW questions?

I think this would lead to having less threads read. I'm certainly not going to go through each subcategory every time I'm on.
But why would you want to look at threads about other DAW's than the once you use? The general DAW questions are easily fixed by having a general DAW Sub. Also, when it comes to general DAW questions, aren't they mostly limited to "What DAW" questions that are easily answered by a quick google search or is basically personal opinions?

Mike Greene

I don't have a good solution for this. I like the idea of separate DAW subsections, but that would be a lot of subsections. We already have a very long list of sub-forums (40, I think?) which can be a bit overwhelming to a newcomer, so if anything, I'd prefer fewer rather than more, so it's less intimidating.

VI-Control is at an awkward size. We're getting to the point where the Latest Post feed is very long. Unless you log on every day, it's possibly too long.

Yet we're not big enough to stop most people from using the Latest Posts feed instead of going directly to sub-forums. (At Gearslutz, they're huge, so you have to go to subsections. A general "Latest Posts" feed would be a nightmare to scan there.) Most people, including me, use Latest/Recent Posts, so even if we had separate subsections for each DAW, almost everyone is still going to see all the DAW posts.

The challenge we have with the subsections listings is keeping the most relevant forums (reasons to come to VI-C instead of elsewhere) towards the top, where newcomers will see them. Right now, the DAW subforum is 12th from the top. If we split it into 10 new subforums, that bumps other important sections, like the Composition and Orchestration forums, the Kontakt scripting forums, and all sorts of other forums down that much further.

Obviously we would need to re-organize and put the DAW subsections towards the bottom, but that would mean an overall restructuring as well, since other subforums currently reside next to the DAW subforum in the "Virtual Studio Production" section. It's harder than it looks to come up with an ordering that makes sense.

I'm open to suggestions, though.

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
But why would you want to look at threads about other DAW's than the once you use? The general DAW questions are easily fixed by having a general DAW Sub. Also, when it comes to general DAW questions, aren't they mostly limited to "What DAW" questions that are easily answered by a quick google search or is basically personal opinions?
I normally read threads about other DAWs because there are always new things you could learn like a feature available in another DAW that you might then want to see if what you use has. I think it's also important to know the shortcomings and issues with other DAWs.

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
Xenforo have a few features and add-ons that might be worth looking into for the next VIC restructure. Such as filtering options, which when combined with a tagging system (or custom fields) a user would be able to for example see only the threads with the "logic" tag.
Another option is Title Prefixes, which is like adding a little tag at the front of a thread title for easy identification of which subcategory it fits into.
But... if we're doing a poll... my current vote is for "nah - unnecessary"

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
This isn’t a complaint as such but I just wish the “Your DAW” section was split up into subcategories of the different daws eg: Logic, Cubase, Protools, Digital Performer and other?
A simple way to do this is for you to use the SEARCH function on the top right, and make sure "Search this forum only" is checked.

ab7f903d5c6cdd936f9355766c491351.png

Then enter the term you'd like to filter the whole forum with:

e484da459c6acd239db61a3607a7df1e.png

Click "Search" and the results will show ONLY threads containing the term you wanted to find.

2babffd36b5b3494f85d479ede8cfc74.png

Hope this helps! :)

I've been involved for over 20 years with both using and building web forums. And it has been my experience that over compartmentalization is bad. No one wants to click on a million sub forms to see if something interesting is in one of them. And so you often miss things that you might have found relevant.

Also, a lot of content doesn't fit neatly into the taxonomy of the forum. For example, let's say you wanted to do a post about a comparison between Pro Tools, Cubase, and logic. Where would you put that?

Of course, being able to filter content based on category or criteria is really useful. Sometimes I would like to be able to read posts about
Cubase and only Cubase. So having a Cubase forum would be really useful.

So what to do? Tags has been used on other sites with some success. But honestly, the best feature of this forum to me is the recent post or latest post feature that allows you to see content from all categories at once.

This feature is rare in my experience and really helpful. But it, too, has its drawbacks. I rarely want to read the latest posts from some of the forms here. So I wonder if, down the road, there might be a way to expand upon this feature. Like, for example, allowing one to see the latest posts from a selected group of sub forms. Then you could have your cake and eat it too.

Then if you wanted to filter for the latest posts in the Logic forum, you could do that. But you could also filter for the latest posts in all the Daw forums.

Of course, I'm not requesting such a feature as it sounds like it would take a lot of work, and the Forum is free, and I'm happy with it the way it is. But if someone was getting bored, and wanted to explore new functionalities, it might be worth consideration.

Top Bottom