What's new

Please help me choose an optimal M-AUDIO Axiom replacement

TomislavEP

I'm using M-AUDIO Axiom 49 in my studio for more than ten years now. I also have Studiologic SL-990 Pro - as a pianist, I cannot do without a weighted-action 88 keys controller, but for everything else, I prefer to have something like the Axiom. However, lately I've been experiencing more and more issues with it - the mod wheel gives me jerky data output in the 15-30 range, and the keyboard also sometimes sends "fantom CC data", which is noticeable by random numbers changes on the display. I could also do with a bit more real-estate on this secondary controller, so I would like to switch to a 61 keys version at the same time.

Basically, here are the things I'm looking for:
  • 61 keys
  • a decent non-fully weighted action with aftertouch
  • sustain and expression pedal ports
  • faders, knobs, and pads
  • relatively small footprint - total length abt. 1000 mm would be ideal
  • solid integration with REAPER, Komplete, and Kontakt libraries
  • relatively affordable price
Based on my research so far, these are three possible candidates:
  • Novation Impulse 61
  • Nektar Panorama T6
  • M-AUDIO Code 61
Unfortunately, they all have a few downsides in my book, which is why I need some help and guidance to make the final decision. Impulse looks like a solid all-rounder, but it is a bit large in size and might not fit my current and future desk. M-AUDIO seems like a no-brainer Axiom replacement, but I've read mixed opinions on its construction. I'm also not sure will the pads situated below the pitch and mod wheels greatly interfere with my workflow. The Panorama seems like the best compromise, but it costs more than the other two and I'm still not sure is it worth it.

So, if anyone has experience with all these controllers, I would appreciate your insights. Thanks.

It seems that this is going to be a one-way discussion... Well, maybe it will still be useful to someone in a similar dilemma.

Here are two more controllers I've taken into consideration:

Roland A-800 Pro

I'm a big fan of Roland workstations and synths, and I'm using them for many years when performing with a band. However, I've never really considered getting a MIDI controller from Roland for compositional and studio work. The most important reason for this is their trademark modulation lever. I guess there is a way around it by mapping CC1 to one of the faders, but on A-800 Pro those are situated roughly in the middle of the front panel, which is not the most ergonomic position.

Behringer Motor 61

Feature-wise, this keyboard seemingly has all the features I'm looking for in a really affordable package. However, considering Behringer's "notoriety" when it comes to build quality and durability of their products I'm a bit skeptical, as this is a very important piece of gear that should serve me well for many upcoming years.

Taking everything into consideration, it seems that the Nektar Panorama T6 should fit me best. But it is more expensive than all the other controllers listed here. It would be great if I could find some good BF deal for it. One can only hope... ;)

I think you would prefer the feel of the Launchkey over the Nektar ( a little still feeling). We have the Launchkey controllers at school and they are solid.

I was considering the Launchkey series too, but they seem to be missing some features I've gotten used to like aftertouch and expression pedal input. Also, I would prefer to have the faders more on the left side of the front panel - this is also (IMO) one of the design flaws of the original Axiom.

But thanks for the suggestion and your comment on Nektar's keybed action. Unfortunately, due to my location and the general situation, I cannot try it firsthand. Considering its feature set, I might even "close an eye" on the keybed as this wouldn't be my only keyboard controller, especially not for composing piano pieces.

In any case, I must think about this further.

Last edited:
I had an Axiom keyboard which was so noisy that I had to glue pieces of felt to the top of the back side of each key. Then the mod wheel stopped working completely.

So I went in to a Guitar Center and tried about 15 different keyboards and every one but one felt like a cheap plastic piece of crap.The one that didn't, to my surprise, was the Native Instruments unit.

I would have bought it on site, but someone at native instruments brain fell out and they replaced the tried and true mod wheel with a touch sensitive pad.

This is unusable for me but if it's not for you I can say that out of most keyboard controllers, the native instrument is the only one that felt really solid and had a really nice quiet key bed.

Lurking ! Have AxiomPro61 in home studio ..... must be ~ 10 years as well. Never a tiny issue. :inlove:
Trying to stay current on likely replacements when time comes. Roland KR-577 has done full piano duty for about same timeframe. Prefer strongly to have all functions in one quality instrument if possible.
Also have NI_Komplete Kontrol S49 ___ and S88 is being considered.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I've thought about getting Komplete Kontrol S61 as well. Considering my personal preference for Fatar keybeds and the fact the I'm using Komplete on a daily basis, it certainly looks like a wise long-term investment. However, at the moment, and sadly in the foreseeable future, this would be quite a hefty impact on my budget. Also, I would still prefer the unit which has all the types of controllers built-in (faders, knobs, and pads).

Anyway, though I'm quite a nitpicker, I will clearly have to make some kind of compromise here. Basically, I'm looking for an affordable "workhorse" with as many features as possible and a solid (not necessarily stellar) build quality.

I just wanted to conclude this thread by saying that I've finally purchased the Nektar Panorama T6. It arrived a couple of days ago, so while it's still a bit early, here is my preliminary mini-review. Maybe it can be of some use to someone else interested in this keyboard.

I'll start with the good things. The reason why I've noticed Nektar in the first place is my passion for REAPER and they're the only manufacturer - at least to my knowledge - that makes hardware "officially" compatible with this DAW. Indeed, the Panorama T6 seems like a perfect counterpart for the geek level of tweaking that REAPER enables. I've barely scratched the surface for now, but the level of the possible control is really deep, even without using the Nektarine software.

Speaking of Nektarine, I've tried to use it and while it promises a lot of flexibility and detail, I don't see myself using it as a wrapper for every track in my projects that use some kind of virtual instrument. Even if it means the capability of auto-mapping most of the available parameters and seeing each of them on the Panorama's display. Instead, I'll be probably using it in standalone mode while playing, practicing, and trying out ideas and sounds. It could also prove itself as an advanced VST host, as it has FX support, sends, splits and layers, etc. I'll try to do some further testing on resource impact when using Nektarine in DAW, as I have a rather powerful PC system now.

Hardware-wise, the Panorama T6 has a quality feel in every aspect, especially when it comes to wheels, faders, knobs, and pads. However, for the time being, I'm not too keen on its keybed. I'm a discerning pianist and keyboardist and having used numerous keyboard instruments over the years, each of them had its distinctive feel under my fingers. After using M-AUDIO Axiom for more than a decade, the keys on Panorama do seem a bit rigid, although I also use SL-990 Pro that has fully-weighted keys. While the piano is my primary instrument, I prefer the lighter keybed when dealing with all the sounds outside the scope of solo piano work. I also have several synthesizers and digital keyboards with a synth-action keybed, but I still find the waterfall type of keys more preferable for compositional work. But I would certainly need some time to get accustomed to the Nektar's keyboard action that is quite different from all the other keyboards currently at my disposal.

With all things said, I feel this is a solid purchase that would serve me well (after the initiation period, of course). ;)

Top Bottom