What's new

Playing around with Freyja and Wotan

meradium

A little cue I have been working on while time permits. Given it is currently raining here pretty much all day long, it was the perfect mood to get into writing a more muted piece. Hope you enjoy listening to it :)

It also served as the perfect opportunity to give my new choir addition a little test spin (comes in around 1:00).

Really love that library so far!

Updated link with the lastest iteration (v4).

This is so far almost without any horns, except in two spots where a solo is played or the 4 unisons (BB). I still hate my SM Horns. They just sound like a boomy metal can if I use more than a single instrument. I wonder if JXLBs Solo or 4 Horn patch could do trick. I just wished BB would have the same consistency this new brass library seems to offer now :crying:.

Last edited:
Very nice string arrangement. What library you used for the strings?
Nice utilization of the choirs, especially at 1:30

Thank you! Strings are from Spitfire Symphony and Solo Strings. The cello in the middle is Cinesamples Tina Solo legato library set further back using an instance of 2CAudio Precedence.

I really love the sound of the Sul-Gs. That’s what you hear at the beginning from Violin 1 only. It’s just a little bit temperamental. For whatever reason I sometimes get volume spikes during transitions on the first few notes. I haven’t really figured out what is causing this. Looks like there is an internal timer in the patch that only gets triggered when the initial note has been played for at least x seconds. I should open a ticket with them.

The overall timing of the various lines could probably be improved for a more dramatic impact on certain moments. Right now it’s pretty much straight to click.

In case somebody is interested: Brass is entirely Sample Modelling with a bit of the 4 Horns patch from Berlin Brass. Percussion is from VSL. No woodwinds yet other than the English Horn at the beginning and a little bit of Oboe in the middle, all from Berlin Woodwinds.

Some more doodling right after work. Thoughts and critique welcome - good and bad ;)

Refined the first part and added a second section. But somehow I think I am missing a proper connection between the two. I guess that would need to be another refinement in the future.

Last edited:
I'm of the mind that the expressiveness of a piece of music is the sum total of all the responses to it. My response to this track comes from a place of being a bit saturated by 'epic' tracks, so ... I liked the initial english horn which established an intriguing minor mode, but then you overwhelmed everything with strings, etc. If you intended total 'epic', then scroll past my comments, but for perhaps a few of us, this track could have been more interesting with *less*. I suspect you could easily do it ... but perhaps that's not what you wanted.

EDIT: hmmm, I'm confused about which 'phase' I listened to, but just listened again and am no longer overwhelmed by any swells .. I better withdraw the word 'epic'. The choirs sound quite nice.

Last edited:
I'm of the mind that the expressiveness of a piece of music is the sum total of all the responses to it. My response to this track comes from a place of being a bit saturated by 'epic' tracks, so ... I liked the initial english horn which established an intriguing minor mode, but then you overwhelmed everything with strings, etc. If you intended total 'epic', then scroll past my comments, but for perhaps a few of us, this track could have been more interesting with *less*. I suspect you could easily do it ... but perhaps that's not what you wanted.

EDIT: hmmm, I'm confused about which 'phase' I listened to, but just listened again and am no longer overwhelmed by any swells .. I better withdraw the word 'epic'. The choirs sound quite nice.

Thanks for your opinion. So version 4 sounds better to you?

Top Bottom