What's new

Play 5 Now Available!

@Ashermusic thanks for post, i just dont get it all mestup on my end

EDIT:
Ok i believe fire fox was the issue, i have tried windows explorer and the center now opens at least now i can search for some answers,

thanks

Last edited:
Throughout the years, I've read a lot of complaints from people who stopped using EastWest products altogether due to Play causing them issues. This new update makes me wonder how many of those people will go back to using their EastWest libs now.

I wonder how many sales EW has missed over the years because of customers having problems with Play. And how many new customers they didn't get because of Play's reputation. AND, if they would have needed to reduce the price of their products as much as they have to maintain sales.

Difficult returning to PLAY after so long of using better software.

No special features are missed from Hollywood for me. Will use one-shots and FX as before, and will enjoy improved loading, but the still very bad legato and shorts will see no use by me.

Expression maps are not fun to make also. Not worth this trouble.

I wonder how many sales EW has missed over the years
Are you doing there tax returns now, should that even bother you, I have play5 yes can get fussy at times but no one is forcing me to use it, and i am aware of users slamming it even before i got ahold of eastwest librarys,

I still made my own choice and purchased it and glad i did its doing me more good than bad, but if i come into problems, i will find work around or wait for updates, slamming eastwest IMHO serves no purpose.

They still provide a service that i and many love.

I still made my own choice and purchased it and glad i did its doing me more good than bad, but if i come into problems, i will find work around or wait for updates, slamming eastwest IMHO serves no purpose.

Honest criticism maybe helps focus efforts for future growth, but must be considered sincerely.

Problem of EastWest is ignoring so much criticism, and actions display almost contempt for customers after sales. Still numerous problems of Hollywood reported years past, but unattended.

I recommend Composer Cloud for this always. Very good business model, and all users will see with time this quality of libraries maybe is or is not so good for them. Low expense to customer means no dedication to defense of this product. This is most important for community honesty.

Well they finally fixed a bunch of Play's issues didn't they? Looks like the complaining did have a purpose.

If you assume that there would not have been work done sans all the complaints. We will never know, but I think it would have happened anyway.

Dont forget the waves SSL has two it has an E version channel strip plus it has a G version channel strip they bath come together, one version I think it is the E version that is meant for a harsher sound and the G version is a more softer clean sound.

Hmmmmm I am not gong down this road i have them and i love them, have not used the one in play 5 yet plus my play5 is down so dont know when i will get to use it any way,

Fair enough, the way I worded it sounded worse than intended. Sorry if that came across poorly...

Waves are certainly great at what they do, the API and Pultec EQs are pretty great... Their SSL bundle misses the mark for me though, that's all...

You should try an A/B between the two, the difference is pretty substantial... Not only do the filters sound smoother, Play and Duende's saturation sounds nicer to my ears... Nice on drums, bass etc...

And actually you can flip between G and E series in Play 5 (and Duende.) The box labelled "Equalisation" has an E button, so it appears to default to G series...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 5.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 5.29.21 PM.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 6
I wonder how many sales EW has missed over the years because of customers having problems with Play.
Are you doing there tax returns now, should that even bother you, I have play5 yes can get fussy at times but no one is forcing me to use it, and i am aware of users slamming it even before i got ahold of eastwest librarys,

I meant prior to Play 5. Play 5 is great. And as a PC user, other than it being slow, I personally didn't have much trouble with the older versions. But anyone reading this forum knows that a lot users did have problems. And when posters would ask for opinions about it, it got more bad reviews than good.

My point is, what would EW sales have been if they'd have come out with Play 5 years ago. My guess is that they would've been a lot higher.

As an example: I had already bought a bunch of EW libraries (I bought 2 of their bundle sales) before I found this forum. Reading posts here, I did not find much positive about Play. I'm happy with what I have, but had I found this forum first, no way I would have bought any EW products.

I'm having trouble bouncing in place in Logic X with PLAY 5 hosted on my slave in VEP6. Anyone else having notes dropped and sound cutting out? Playback is fine it's just when I bounce in place.

OK, Matt, I got curious, so I just did a test.

1. I opened 5 VE Pro 6 and created 5 instances.

2. In each one I loaded a single HS instrument with 6 articulations, (Vln 1, Vln 2, Vla Celli, Basses.)

3. I opened Logic Pro X and in a new project loaded 5 orchestral strings loops, then created 5 VE Pro tracks and dragged the loops to them.

4. Connected to each with a 2 buffer size.

5. Hit play and it was flawless.

6. The performed Bounce And Replace all tracks, which Logic Pro X of course does offline.

7. Played it back.

No dropouts. Flawless.

OK, Matt, I got curious, so I just did a test.

1. I opened 5 VE Pro 6 and created 5 instances.

2. In each one I loaded a single HS instrument with 6 articulations, (Vln 1, Vln 2, Vla Celli, Basses.)

3. I opened Logic Pro X and in a new project loaded 5 orchestral strings loops, then created 5 VE Pro tracks and dragged the loops to them.

4. Connected to each with a 2 buffer size.

5. Hit play and it was flawless.

6. The performed Bounce And Replace all tracks, which Logic Pro X of course does offline.

7. Played it back.

No dropouts. Flawless.
Thanks for doing this Jay. I don't know what's wrong with my system then.

Thanks for doing this Jay. I don't know what's wrong with my system then.

Well as always, you troubleshoot the way I just did it, but first repair permissions, trash prefs, and restart the computer. If the problem persist, change your audio interface to built-in audio and see if the problem persists, etc. Uninstall and then reinstall Play 5, etc.

Well as always, you troubleshoot the way I just did it, but first repair permissions, trash prefs, and restart the computer. If the problem persist, change your audio interface to built-in audio and see if the problem persists, etc. Uninstall and then reinstall Play 5, etc.
Trashing Logic's permissions scares me. What will I loose by doing this? I did the other things you mentioned. What about on the PC?

Trashing Logic's permissions scares me. What will I loose by doing this? I did the other things you mentioned. What about on the PC?

You will not lose anything much by trashing the prefs other than custom key commands. Logic will revert to loading the latest project on loading, etc.

Oh, wow, this morning when I open VE Pro 6 and load the HS stuff and then load the project that connects to it, VE Pro 6 is in fact crashing on the Mac and the crash log says that it is Play 5. Not happening with the PC though.

I just sent the crash log to EW.

EDIT: I just tried this with the AU instead of the VST formats of Play 5 and it is not crashing. Adding the UAD plug-ins, it still bounced flawlessly.

Last edited:
I'm having a strange bug
Figured it out...working really smoothly now. Apparently Play 5 was hanging in REAPER because I had set it to run as a dedicated process. Once I set it to run as a separate process instead, it worked like a charm.

Top Bottom