What's new

Pipe audio from Logic into VEP7 from an Aux track?

Soundhound

Anyone know if that's possible? Just learning how to route audio from Logic into Vienna ensemble Pro (to save some cpu by doing some group processing in VEP7) and it seems as though the only way to do it is from a track that has an instance on of the VEP7 plugin on it, which rules out any combined tracks. Possible to do it?

I don't have Logic or VE Pro open to check, but I think this should work:

- assign the Instruments' aux sends to a bus (probably stereo)

- make that bus the input to an Audio track that has the VE Pro Audio Input plug-in on it.

Thanks all, but what I’m trying to do is pipe the audio from aux track which has several tracks assigned to it, to VEP7. only way i’ve found to get audio from Logic into VEP7 is with VE Pro Audio plug-in as you recommend Nick, but it seems to need to be in a track that has main VEP plug-in in the Instrument slot, and aux tracks don’t have an instrument slot… I may be trying to do something logic/vep can’t do

Hi,
I have made a related Video tutorial about that some time ago. Watch it to see if it fits your needs.

Thank you! I thought about sends but hadn't thought about a dummy track (what a dummy I am!). I'll give this a shot and report back. Not optimal for what I want to do I suppose , but only has to last me until apple comes out with M series macs that will properly replace my neolithic iMac. :)

Edit: What I'm wanting to do definitely seems to be work-around territory, I posted the question on the VSL forum and got no replies, so far anyway....

Last edited:
Thanks all, but what I’m trying to do is pipe the audio from aux track which has several tracks assigned to it, to VEP7. only way i’ve found to get audio from Logic into VEP7 is with VE Pro Audio plug-in as you recommend Nick, but it seems to need to be in a track that has main VEP plug-in in the Instrument slot, and aux tracks don’t have an instrument slot… I may be trying to do something logic/vep can’t do

I haven't watched AG's video, but whole point to my possible solution is that you can then bus the audio to shared auxes inside VE Pro.

I haven't watched AG's video, but whole point to my possible solution is that you can then bus the audio to shared auxes inside VE Pro.
Thanks Nick, that worked. I'm trying to set this up to work with the new Sonible Smart EQ which allows you to have several instances of EQ across tracks, and the EQs listen to each other and adjust to each other. just experimenting with it, but so far it actually seemed to be pretty useful, opened things up right away without getting into it too deep yet. But it takes a lot of cpu and my old Mac just can't deal with it, so...

I wanted to set up a VEP instance with several channels which can have those SmartEQ plugins running, pipe the audio from various groups in Logic to these channels, and then have it all come back to Logic from the master out of the VEP instance.

Something I'm not understanding is the input in the VEP instance is 1/2 from Logic and I'm not seeing how outs 1/2 are chosen inLogic to be sending to the VEP audio input plugin.

Do you know how I'd get various bus/channels in the VEP instance to hear other outputs from logic (3/4, 5/6 etc.)

Making a hash of this I know, hope it's understandable what I'm asking here....

I wanted to set up a VEP instance with several channels which can have those SmartEQ plugins running, pipe the audio from various groups in Logic to these channels, and then have it all come back to Logic from the master out of the VEP instance.
If you watched my Video tutor carefully you should understand that the additional VI (Dummy Track) is the goal. It behaves as an "Audio Bridge" allowing you to create a separate VEP Instance for such extra audio pipe routings (Aux Send & Return etc).

I'm not sure whether the channels in VE Pro will listen to each other. It sounds like you'd need Logic sidechain inputs for that, but I don't have Sonible Smart EQ and can't check.

I'm not sure whether the channels in VE Pro will listen to each other. It sounds like you'd need Logic sidechain inputs for that, but I don't have Sonible Smart EQ and can't check.
No worriesNick, thanks. I thought I'd use the current interest in the Sonible Smart EQ3 as an excuse to learn how to pipe audio btwn Logic and VEP, which I've wanted to do occassioanly. I'm not sure the cross channel thing will work either but thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

If you watched my Video tutor carefully you should understand that the additional VI (Dummy Track) is the goal. It behaves as an "Audio Bridge" allowing you to create a separate VEP Instance for such extra audio pipe routings (Aux Send & Return etc).
I did watch! I set it up that way but it didn't seem to route the audio to VEP when using an instrument track as the 'bridge' track. When I did as Nick suggested, using an Audio track as the bridge, that does pipe the audio into VEP.

Now where I am is I'm able to send audio to VEP via Logic Outputs 1/2, but want to be able to send to 3/4, 5/6 etc. as well so I can route to various busses in a single VEP instance.

Other than using surround (which I haven't tried), I can't think of a way to get more than one audio output pair from Logic to a single VE Pro Server instance.

One instance of the plug-in can only connect to one Server and v.v.

Other than using surround (which I haven't tried), I can't think of a way to get more than one audio output pair from Logic to a single VE Pro Server instance.

One instance of the plug-in can only connect to one Server and v.v.
Thanks Nick, that makes sense and lets me stop barking up this tree. I did learn about getting audio in and out of vep, so that’s definitely a good thing. Thanks all!

Top Bottom