Piano Sustain Pedal Reccomendations

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by DMDComposer, May 16, 2019 at 6:04 AM.

1. DMDComposer

DMDComposer Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Hi,

I've gone through two "M-Audio SP-2 | Universal Sustain Pedal" from Amazon and as a piano player this pedal does not work for me. It just constantly misses my sustain pedaling and is only an on/off switch. I'm looking for a more serious pedal for real piano performing for my midi controller that has half-pedaling and is well-made.

Looking for any recommendations and personal experience from piano players out there? Not to be pretentious to only "piano players", but to those who know and understand real pedal technique from an acoustic piano that I can get close to from a sustain pedal for my midi controller. I'm actually considering even getting another pedal so I can soft pedal when needed.

P.S.

My midi controller is in fact just an electric keyboard, CASIO PRIVIA PX-130. I plan on replacing it with a different controller, so feel free to let me know what pedals/midi controller you use in conjunction with each other.

Thanks. :D

2. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    DMDComposer likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    DMDComposer

DMDComposer Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. Does the VFP210 support half-pedaling? I'm having trouble finding an answer. If not though, the upgrade to the 3 pedal version seems to support it so it might be worth it to go for a full 3 pedals.

As well, are you happy with it? I imagine so if you had it for several years haha! :D

4. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    I use the Roland DP-10, and it is a continuous pedal (although has a switch to toggle it to an discrete on/off pedal if desired). I've used it with various different controllers, including an Axiom 61 (via expression pedal port which I remapped to CC64), and most recently on my Kontrol S-88 (which did require a configuration change with the Kontrol to adjust polarity). I'd recommend the DP-10.

The pedal is only half your battle. Actually it's about 1/10th of your battle. The remaining fight will be with the virtual instruments, whose pedal behavior almost always leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Except, of course, for Pianoteq.

DMDComposer likes this.
  5. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I've been looking at these keyboards for a long time. Are these fully weighted keys?

6. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I very much like the pedal. I believe it's a continuous controller, at least I bought it thinking that it was, but as it turns out , my pc3-class kurzweil only supports on/off, so I never tested it :geek:

I've had it for 4 years. Big plus is that it stays put, ie no sliding around or falling over.

DMDComposer likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    DMDComposer

DMDComposer Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Thank you Tack for your suggestion. I put the DP-10 in my favorites, as from your recommendation, reviews, and it seems it might do the job. I'm going to have to replace my controller first though as the CASIO keyboard I have won't work it seems with the foot pedal, or pretty much any good pedal unless it's this huge footpedal with a special connector, Casio SP33

EDIT.
    I'll look into Pianoteq as I've heard great things about it. Right now I've got the Embertone Walker piano which I really adore, but I've heard about it's sustain problems. So you're absolutely right about the pedaling is just 1/10th of my battle haha!.

8. OP
    OP
    DMDComposer

DMDComposer Member

Apr 21, 2017
    It's a nice keyboard as I used it many years now for gigging. However, I'd say its semi-weighted, not full at all. Which actually is a drawback when I go back to my real piano and my fingers aren't used to how heavy real hammers are compared to my keyboard haha.