What's new

Piano + Strings?

madfloyd

Anyone know of an instrument that combines piano & strings? I thought for sure I'd have something like this (friend needs it for a live gig) but it seems I don't...

Thanks in advance!

Well I'm responsible for setting it up for him. How would I create it in Kontakt? I could see using a sequencer and using two instances of Kontakt (monitoring both at the same time) but I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind.

In Kontakt, you can add multiple instruments at the same time. And you can save it as a multi - call it something like Piano-Strings. The key is to set the midi channel as the same. So if piano is set to input (A)1, the strings must also be set to A1. Normally when you open a second instrument, it will set to (A)2. You just have to change the second one. Then you go the the little disk at the top and save multi as...

It is actually pretty easy to do.

You may need to set the volume on the individual instruments so one doesn't overwhelm the other. Or make the ouputs separate?

Afflatus has a patch with piano and strings recorded in the same room (not in front of my pc ATM but i know it's there)

In Kontakt, you can add multiple instruments at the same time. And you can save it as a multi - call it something like Piano-Strings. The key is to set the midi channel as the same. So if piano is set to input (A)1, the strings must also be set to A1. Normally when you open a second instrument, it will set to (A)2. You just have to change the second one. Then you go the the little disk at the top and save multi as...

It is actually pretty easy to do.

Thanks, I get the Kontakt solution now.

Afflatus has a patch with piano and strings recorded in the same room (not in front of my pc ATM but i know it's there)

I have Afflatus and just went through the library (albeit quickly) and I don't see anything with piano...?

The patch is called Shark Strings Legato but it has a small range so might not be useful for your need

The patch is called Shark Strings Legato but it has a small range so might not be useful for your need

Thanks for taking the time to find the patch name. You're right that the range isn't adequate (high strings are more suitable for the pop music he'll be playing).

I'll just do the Kontakt layering trick. :)

If you're headed down into the "live performance with virtual instruments" rabbit hole, you may want to start looking into hosts designed for it, as in Cantabile or Gig Performer.

If you're headed down into the "live performance with virtual instruments" rabbit hole, you may want to start looking into hosts designed for it, as in Cantabile or Gig Performer.

I appreciate the tip. In this case it's for a one-time performance where my friend is playing a party at my house and instead of just playing guitar, he will play some songs on keyboards (piano, electric piano) but he now wants a patch that is suitable for the keyboards Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb and he said the basic piano+strings would do. I'm just going to load up my Studio One on my Mac laptop and load different tracks with various patches and find some combination that works well enough for that one song.

Sonivox Eighty-Eight Steinway Grand has some fantastic Piano-Strings patches that combine their Symphonic String Collection Ensemble patch with the piano patch..... one patch that I use has the perfect blend, and the strings are soft with perfect fades. You might check it out... priced right too....

Sonivox Eighty-Eight Steinway Grand has some fantastic Piano-Strings patches that combine their Symphonic String Collection Ensemble patch with the piano patch..... one patch that I use has the perfect blend, and the strings are soft with perfect fades. You might check it out... priced right too....

What kind of music engine does it use? I've installed it. I've authorized a trial but nothing shows up in my DAW and I don't see a VST file anywhere.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was installed in the wrong folder...

Last edited:
Top Bottom