What's new

Piano Premier `at first light` vs Xperimenta Yamaha C3

I know but I want direct comparison with Premier Steinway. I like very much how that piano sounds from Youtube but I also like how Experimenta C3 sounds.
Yep, I have both. Happy to render one of your MIDI files with each piano if you like. Both great sampled pianos (180cm & 186cm long) but quite different characters.

PS: A general point: the Xperimenta Pianos give you far more built in controls and sound shaping options. The Piano Premier GUI is pretty basic, but the sampling is pristine and it has 3 mic sets (including a mono mic) so very flexible for either solo piano or multi track mixes. Very realistic tone & natural stereo image.

Last edited:
Geez, I'd never heard of these until this thread. Are they the best thing I can get for the price? The idea of having one for my more classical sounding work and another that's more 'cinematic' sounds appealing.

Ah, Craig, finally, I was looking for you :scout:, I know that you have both but I was thinking to use PM as a last resort because maybe it is good for everyone to know. Thank you for opinion, and thanks for all participants here :). Michael put some good questions about classical sounding. How do I send you some Rachmaninoff midi ?

Last edited:
Geez, I'd never heard of these until this thread. Are they the best thing I can get for the price? The idea of having one for my more classical sounding work and another that's more 'cinematic' sounds appealing.
They are stunning and a total bargain right now. More deeply sampled than the Simple Sam Steinway, but that has its own thing going on with the wonderful ambience.

Ah, Craig, finally, I was looking for you :scout:, I know that you have both but I was thinking maybe it is good for everyone to know. Thank you for opinion, and thanks for all participants here :). Michael put some good questions about classical sounding. How do I send you some Rachmaninoff midi ?
Just send me a PM and attach the MIDI file to that :)

Yes and I choose Piano Premier Steinway. Very good piano, no problems, easy to play, sounds raw and natural. Steinway model O is very rare to find among samples, I think that Soundiron Monticlarion is also model O but it is nowhere near quality of Premier at first light. I am happy to have this piano. I mostly play classical but this piano really excel in Jazz. When you need some dark mood feelings under dim light or candles with smaller Steinway grand, this piano is perfect. Thanks for Craig for helping me to choose.

I'm a bit puzzled with this statement by premiersoundfactory:

- 12 pedal on layers and 12 pedal off layers (7 Samples each)

Only 7 samples for 12 vel. layers? Is that what it means?

There are 2952 samples in total. If each note is sampled then it can't be 12 recorded velocity levels. Also, the website says something about the samples being 10 years old. This could be a renewal of an older library. My guess is that they created 12 'filtered' layers from 7 samples to ensure a smoother transition between the samples.

"PIANO Premier "At first light" has totally new samples and many new systems. I recorded it in 2019. You'll see the big difference from the G version with just one note. Because I recorded the samples of G version more than 10 years ago.
I hope you'll like it. "

I tried to back into an answer and looked at their Japanese site regarding the "12 pedal on layers and 12 pedal off layers (7 Samples each)" and "6 velocity release noise (4 Samples)". They note chromatic sampling which presumably samples 88 keys.

With 2952 samples / 88 keys = 33.5 samples per key. Maybe 12+12+6+3.5 noise/other. Maybe they don't provide separate mic mixes and don't count stereo samples twice. Not sure.

Different firms count the number of samples differently (e.g. excluding/including stereo channels, different mics, release samples, mechanical noises, etc.). So usually require developer to provide details if they are willing. That said, technical specs don't help me a lot to assess quality of a VI.

Top Bottom