• Intermediate

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Confident Pro

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Pianist - Concert Level

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

3DC

As a beginner I wonder how good are you guys in actual playing of piano and how essential - or not is this skill in your every day music production.

Thanks for feedback.

Monkey Man

Charitable Hack
I'm a hack.

Thanks to the ability to edit MIDI 'though, I firmly believe that all you need is a good ear.

EDIT:
There needs to be a "Beginner" category IMHO. Going from "Piano Roll Only" to "Intermediate" makes no sense.

Had the option been there, I'd have chosen it 'cause I don't rate myself as being intermediate.

Last edited:

Shiirai

Avian Member
I'm currently very much focussing on my Piano/Keyboard skills (You need a level between 'Piano Roll Only' and 'Intermediate') and I'm noticing a very real skill increase all across the board.

Granted, Piano skills do not only consist of pressing white and black keys. There's quite a bit of theory, sight-reading and experiencing different types of music and progressions to go along with it.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
I'm several years into learning piano/keys after being a life long guitar player. I barely ever pick up my guitar now days. Mainly cause there's not enough time to practice both instruments. That's kind of sad.

I guess I'm an intermediate. But often I'm back in the piano roll editing my parts. I can sound like a confident pro on easy pieces... or for a few measures on tougher parts. :)

I never realized how easy I had it with the guitar. On the keyboard, your left and right hands can be playing two completely different parts.

It's the quickest way to get your ideas down - it would be very hard to try and articulate something in my head by jabbing notes in one-by-one with the mouse before I forgot the idea! Definitely recommend playing piano as much as possible - there's a reason playing in a piano guide track and orchestrating out from that is so popular.

Shiirai

Avian Member
I'm several years into learning piano/keys after being a life long guitar player. I barely ever pick up my guitar now days. Mainly cause there's not enough time to practice both instruments. That's kind of sad.

I guess I'm an intermediate. But often I'm back in the piano roll editing my parts. I can sound like a confident pro on easy pieces... or for a few measures on tougher parts. :)

I never realized how easy I had it with the guitar. On the keyboard, your left and right hands can be playing two completely different parts.
I come from guitar as well and yeah. That part messed me up as well.

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
Playing the ivories definitely helps.

Put it another way, when I'm trying to hack out a virtual guitar part, I wish I played the actual instrument.

Who voted "concert pianist?"

Nils Neumann

I feel like very highly trained pianist have such a big advantage in the DAW world.
Kinda unfair:shocked:

Can't imagine learning music theory without the piano too.

It is hands down the best Instruments you can learn as a composer. Nothing is even close for me.

It depends on what type of music you want to make. I've seen a lot electronic and Epic music created by just painting notes into the timeline which required no playing skill at all. But if you plan to have piano as the lead instrument, then you'll need to develop your playing skills. As mentioned, if you know how to play it's just a lot easier and quicker to get your ideas down.

bbunker

tbh I'm not sure what the difference is between "Confident Pro" and "Concert Level." Or between "Confident Pro" and "Intermediate" really, because they're not mutually exclusive. I'm happier sight-reading Kuhlau than Beethoven sonatas, but I've gigged on the instrument and been both confident and professional and hired back, so...?

I kind of read the categories as being "never touched a keyboard," "I can play," "I grew up on the keyboard," and "I grew up on the keyboard and excel beyond my peers." Which - unsurprisingly, you get mostly the second option. And it doesn't really help you figure out how much keyboard you should learn, because the only options for you as someone who didn't grow up on a keyboard is to learn some or not, right?

TLDR: Just go practice some.

daan1412

Well, I can use the keyboard to some extent, but to say I can play the piano is an insult to piano players. ;) Wish I was better. Being able to play and record midi parts is a huuuuge time saver and convenience. I bought midi keyboard to be able to audition instruments easily and to discover stuff by just pressing keys randomly. After some time I started being more comfortable with the keys and began to understand it - all that by simply spending lots of time doodling total nonsense. Now I notice that more and more often it's easier for me to play the parts, rather than to draw most of it manually. I still rely heavily on editing in piano roll, though.

kgdrum

Greetings
Speaking for myself,for the poll to reflect the possible levels of piano skills I think there needs to be a tier between piano roll and intermediate.
I don’t really use a piano roll and by no means would I consider my piano skills,chops or knowledge as intermediate.
I consider myself a bit past a beginner but intermediate? Yeah in my wildest fantasies! lol
I’m an admitted hack that plays the piano like a percussion instrument and hope for the best,sometimes it works ,often it doesn’t.
When I listen to monsters like Chucho Valdez,Herbie or McCoy I can’t imagine having that kind of keyboard virtuosity but I can fantasize! 👍

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Fading with age :notworthy:
Catholic grade school with strict, capable nuns, High School private lessons with cool, senior pop pianist, University & beyond _ brief studies with extraordinary Howard Brubeck. Capable sight-reader, mediocre player.
Light classical, jazz, pop. Concert Grand, Church Organ, Digital Piano, Keyboards.

FAVS: Dave Brubeck, George Shearing, Stan Kenton, Lyle Mays, Billy Joel.

Reactions: CGR

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
Not really sure what "piano roll only" means in the context of the poll (not playing piano I assume?). Based on the piano grade system, I'm probably somewhere around a grade 2 to 3, so late beginner to early intermediate.

Gerbil

Confident pro and concert pianist are pretty much the same thing, unless you're up there in that special place with people like Rubalcaba or Argerich.

Leigh

I play what my teacher called "arranger's piano": I can slowly get through something enough to hear how it sounds.

**Leigh

Monkey Man

Charitable Hack
You need a level between 'Piano Roll Only' and 'Intermediate'
Speaking for myself,for the poll to reflect the possible levels of piano skills I think there needs to be a tier between piano roll and intermediate.
Ditto.
I’m an admitted hack that plays the piano like a percussion instrument and hope for the best,sometimes it works ,often it doesn’t.
... and I play like a bass player, Brother KG. :laugh:

Top Bottom