What's new

Piano library with round robins?

erica-grace

I know the Spitfire Hans Zimmer piano library has round robins - I have it. But it's not just round robins, it's the way it is scripted where it's by group - not by note. Extremely effective.

What other libraries have round robins? Most have just one, which is kind of annoying a lot of the time.

Does the Synchron VSL piano? Anything else?

Thanks!

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Impact Soundworks Pearl Concert Grand has 8 velocity layers x 2 RR.
Strezov Sampling Lipp Grand Piano has 5 velocity layers x 4 RR.
The old VSL Bosendorfer Imperial has 7 velocity layers x 5 RR.

DarkestShadow

I have 8dio's 1928 Scoring Piano and it also has round robins.
I guess other 8dio pianos will then also have round robins. Should always be written in the "Articulations" section at the bottom.

Reactions: CGR

Jaap

Yes, that's an alto flute
I have many piano libraries, but the one I am using at the moment only is Keyscape. I don't know how they handled the round robins and how much, but it feels extremely natural and responsive.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
I sometimes wonder about the redundancy of Round Robins for sampled pianos, but when a piano is sampled by hand, there will be slight variations within a given sample range (pp, p, mp etc.) which when captured and implemented as round robins, would result in a more natural variation of tone across the differing velocities.

I'd suggest RRs wouldn't be as important in sampled pianos produced with automated/player systems fitted (ie. Soniccouture's Hammersmith Steinway D, Embertone Walker D, Production Voices Production Grand Yamaha C7), but then again that would depend greatly on the number of velocity layers sampled.

Ben

The VSL SYN CFX has at least 60 velocity layers. If I remember correct it has more RR if you play staccato notes. I've never heard the machinegun effect from this piano. And it has different releases depending on how long the note sounds.

OP
E

erica-grace

Thank you for the replies. Some things to look into here.

Does anyone know if the Ravenscroft piano has round robins?

Strezov

Keyscape satisfied all my needs... and I even hated the grand pianos at first glance (!), now I won't pick another one...

OP
E

erica-grace

from the cinepiano
web site
The RR Borrowing knob employs surrounding notes as additional round robins. A value of 6 results in up to +/- a tritone of borrowing providing up to an additional 12 round robins per note
Right - which means no REAL round robins

hawpri

Orchestral Tools' The Grands has this:

"Up to 4 round robins on sustains"
"Staccatos with 6 round robins on Steinway D"

miket

I sometimes wonder about the redundancy of Round Robins for sampled pianos, but when a piano is sampled by hand, there will be slight variations within a given sample range (pp, p, mp etc.) which when captured and implemented as round robins, would result in a more natural variation of tone across the differing velocities.

I'd suggest RRs wouldn't be as important in sampled pianos produced with automated/player systems fitted (ie. Soniccouture's Hammersmith Steinway D, Embertone Walker D, Production Voices Production Grand Yamaha C7), but then again that would depend greatly on the number of velocity layers sampled.
I know you're a Piano In Blue fan. How do you feel that one performs with repeated notes, given that it was sampled by hand, and doesn't have round robins (as far as I know)?

Top Bottom