What's new

Phase Locked Violin

Hi,

I was wondering what would be a good violin library that has phase locked samples in order to cross fade between velocity layers. My interest is performing the sample library live using the modulation wheel to control dynamics. Also, I'd like for it to have a monophonic mode that behaves like many analog synthesizers so that you can hold a note down, play another note (which then sounds), and when you release the second note, it transitions back to the first note.

I'm eyeing the Friedlander violin specifically, but I'm open to other libraries.

Thanks!

d.healey

Music Monkey
The Friedlander violin has a lovely sound but I don't believe it is phase-locked, in fact other than the audio/sample modeling stuff I'm not sure there are any phase locked string libraries. Auddict's string libraries have a great sound and really smooth crossfades.

hawpri

The Friedlander violin has a lovely sound but I don't believe it is phase-locked, in fact other than the audio/sample modeling stuff I'm not sure there are any phase locked string libraries. Auddict's string libraries have a great sound and really smooth crossfades.
I think Friedlander had only one recorded dynamic layer and EQ to emulate certain characteristics of dynamics. There shouldn't be any issues with phase and dynamics unless I'm confused. This review refers to the Fischer viola as trumping the Friedlander violin because it has p and mf layers.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/embertone-friedlander-violin-fischer-viola

ism

Yes the Emberton Viola and Bass are phase locked, but not the violins (although the JB has recorded short and long de/cresendo). There is a note on the website promising to upgrade the remaining ISS instruments to the level of the viola, but I'm not sure where they are with that.

Actually, now that I double check, I can no longer find that not on the embertone website (which is a pity as its a part of what pushed me over the edge in deciding to buy the cello and the Friedlander).

Lots to love about embertone ISS, but the dynamic range of the violin and the cello are probably the weakest points. Although the simulated dynamic range on the Friedlander is remarkably good - for a simulated dynamic range.

SchnookyPants

I never metaphor I didn't like
Last edited:
Top Bottom