What's new

Pettinhouse is back with updated Classic Guitar

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
I'm so glad to see Pettinhouse is back with updated instruments.
His guitars are among the best in sound and playability. And I always loved that Classic Guitar, so I welcome his 2.0 version, with added Bass and Percussion as well as a Little Guitar version.
(I see there's also a sale going on in the Commercial Announcements - Tier 2 section but I thought the return of Pettinhouse would certainly warrant a thread in Sample Talk.)

AllanH

I bought the Classical Guitar 2.0 on release. It is very well done and has become my favorite nylon guitar in my template. I'll have to ask him if this is a newer version or the "original" 2.0 release from a few months ago.

Oscar_GE

I bought the Classical Guitar 2.0 on release. It is very well done and has become my favorite nylon guitar in my template. I'll have to ask him if this is a newer version or the "original" 2.0 release from a few months ago.
Did you get an answer? I have the exact same question.

AllanH

turns out, I didn't need to: He had provided a custom link in one of his emails and there was indeed an update to download.

Mark Schmieder

Yeah, it's a huge improvement over the original. I haven't had enough time with it yet to learn whether it supports articulation switching, but the basic timbre is very good.

Mark Schmieder

I prefer user manuals and other written word, to YouTube tutorials, as the latter doesn't have random access like audio does and as browsers take up such huge resources (if you use them for multi-pronged research like I do), but thanks for the link. Maybe I can jump it to some salient points, but I'm too frustrated at the moment regarding how last night's cloud subscription software purchase interferes with my internet.

Fortunately, some of those are short (under a minute), but not on the subjects I care about at the moment. I'll see if the long video has some headers that mention articulation handling and whether there's a short video for that, which isn't showing up on the first set of Pettinhouse videos.

Update: in the main video, for a brief half-second (at best), some key switches show up for bass behaviour, and other stuff, as well as mention of velocity-sensitive handling. Several vendors use velocity as the main trigger for different articulations, so this is not unusual.

Later in the video, it seems that some of the switching is contextual based on how fast you play neighbouring notes (to suggest trills, etc.), and there's another super-brief snapshot of key switches and the like, but it seems clear that the feature set is not supportive of classical playing.

I am seeing more evidence that this library would be useful for bossa nova though, so I'll give it a try this weekend on two bossa arrangements I made, where the multi-note playing style is probably causing some hiccups with VSL Concert Guitar that get partially disguised by not striking the notes at exactly the same time but which nevertheless are probably muting prematurely due to its single-note nature.

Last edited:

Oscar_GE

turns out, I didn't need to: He had provided a custom link in one of his emails and there was indeed an update to download.
Hi AllanH, do you mean this one? http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/CG2UP.html
It´s the only link I could find in my mails from Andrea pointing to CG2.0, but unfortunately this is only the upgrade from version 1 to 2 and not from version 2 to the updated version 2. He should better have named this update 3.0 to avoid confusion, I guess. But maybe I am missing the point and it´s all clear for you. Please advice/help. Thx.

Top Bottom