What's new

Perkele! Any Scandinavia out here?

That is EXACTLY how I feel about this time, too! No makeup, no hair-do, just quick freshen upping and staying at home doing regular job and then the actual music. Love it. Well, in the future, maybe some days I could work from home. Have to arrange it somehow, because love this current situation as working from home.

I have heard similar experiences from several creative people, who have enjoyed their time at home during this exceptional time. Some others (with family and kids) have said that there is too much going on in the house to properly concentrate in creative work.

I wish you the best of success in reaching your goal of being a media composer.

Hello, and thank you for you kind comment! :)

I am too looking forward to being a media composer some day - let's make a pact that we both end up doing it some day (on some level atleast!) :)

I love my clavinova CLP, altough it can never replace the og instrumental one, but as a digital is really has a good touch. I bought mine from F-musiikki, and I honestly tried every piano in Helsinki's store. That was the best one price-quality wise. Ofcourse you can throw some thousands of euros and you get a better one, but for semi-pro Clavinova is just fine :). Hope this helped!

Do you have some your tracks on the Internet? :)

Making that pact sounds like a great idea! I hope you'll hold me accountable. :)

Might have to invest in the Clavinova it seems, I appreciate the insight and help greatly! I'm sure it'll at the very least be better than my half-broken semi weighted M-Audio keyboard haha.

And yes, I do have some of my tracks posted! There are a few over on my website at ethanavry.com. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll either add/replace some tracks! A few of the ones on there are a little rough around the edges in my opinion haha

Making that pact sounds like a great idea! I hope you'll hold me accountable. :)

Might have to invest in the Clavinova it seems, I appreciate the insight and help greatly! I'm sure it'll at the very least be better than my half-broken semi weighted M-Audio keyboard haha.

And yes, I do have some of my tracks posted! There are a few over on my website at ethanavry.com. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll either add/replace some tracks! A few of the ones on there are a little rough around the edges in my opinion haha

We can message each other in a couple of years and ask, if we ended up being (working, "real") composers!

I saw your homepage and listened to your music! I liked your bio, in which was described the composers you liked/were inspired by. I could hear them in your music, which was uplifting :). Keep up the good work!

We can message each other in a couple of years and ask, if we ended up being (working, "real") composers!

I saw your homepage and listened to your music! I liked your bio, in which was described the composers you liked/were inspired by. I could hear them in your music, which was uplifting :). Keep up the good work!

Sounds great, I look forward to it! :)

And thanks so much, I appreciate your kind words! I really do admire the composers I listed there endlessly and they have no doubt played huge roles in how I approach music in general.

Moro! Composer for trailers, games and this-and-that from Tampere. I’ve been full time media composer since 2007-2008. Now I’m a part time ”vanhempainvapaalla” and composer when I have time and the energy. There’s plenty of Finns hanging around here in Vi-control.

No voi sentthään...

Another Finn reporting in. I'm a student by day, a composer by night...or during the day time too, but that usually leads to me ignoring my studies and I hear that's a bad thing.

Nope but color me interested!

@fcangia - can you tell which kantele specifically?

EDIT: Obligatory SUOMI VITTU PERKELE PASKA SAATANA :grin:

I sampled 3 kanteles:
- Concerto Kantele (I don't remember the manufacter, but I can ask to the player), it was so long to sample because one low string played forte can last something like 1 minute. Sustain, Muted, Harmonics.
- "Round-Ended Kantele" or "stick Kantele" but I think someone name it as "Saurasaari Kantele" <sorry I don't have dieresis in my keyboard. It's a Kantele with some bass strings. Sustain (pick) and Sustain (Finger)
- Small Kantele (5 strings if I remember well). Sustain, Harmonics & FX)

The player was a Finnish artist and friend Emma Lomy, and it was recorded in the wonderful studios of Sibelius Academy. Such good memories from this place!
I'm working also on a Jouhikko that I've sampled but I think it will take longer to script.

I'm releasing it in few days!!!! I recorded just a little preview for you with OBS (quality might not be the best)
Stay tuned on my website by subscribing to the newsletter! https://www.xperimentaproject.com

Last edited:
That sounds pretty darn awesome! I love it :)

BTW a small tip: there is absolutely no need to have max polyphony set to 1000. That increases the voice memory, and obviously with that many possible voices, CPU usage. I'd recommend 256 as a pretty safe max here, even considering that there are 4 mic positions here.

BTW, how many velocity layers/RR?

And another mini tip: the default ui_value_edits are cramping your nicely done GUIs... I suggest using hide_part($Low, $HIDE_PAR_BG) to hide it. And change the font to a thicker one (font type 18 should be nice here)! :)

Last edited:
That sounds pretty darn awesome! I love it :)

BTW a small tip: there is absolutely no need to have max polyphony set to 1000. That increases the voice memory, and obviously with that many possible voices, CPU usage. I'd recommend 256 as a pretty safe max here...

BTW, how many velocity layers/RR?

And another mini tip: the default ui_value_edits are cramping your nicely done GUIs... I suggest using hide_part($Low, $HIDE_PAR_BG) to hide it. And change the font to a thicker one (font type 18 should be nice here)! :)

Kiitos! I tried to hide the background but it was kind of not clear. I was wondering if it is possible to set transparency for ui_value_edits? Or at least I can use an bk image with black 80% transparent.

Concerto = 4 Dyn, 2RR
Round-Ended = 3Dyn, 2RR
Small = 3Dyn, 2RR

You cannot set transparency, but you can definitely assign a different picture in the usual way: set_control_par_str(get_ui_id($Low), $CONTROL_PAR_PICTURE, "picturename").

I'd suggest trying to design it a little bit so that it fits better on the interface. :)

2 RR seems a bit on the low side for the smaller kanteles that can be strummed, so that might quickly result in a machine gun effect if you play it like you're strumming it - it makes sense to increase S.Mod for all zones to say 50 ms and then assign random unipolar modulator to modulate sample start, to give a bit more variation to it :) But really nice that there are 4 and 3 velocity layers in there!

Hello,
I'm not in Finland but in Stockholm right across the pond :) I have only been to Finland a few times for playing concerts or participating in meetings. Many friends and colleges here in Sweden originate from Finland though. From time to time I have played music professionally but currently, just a small part of my income comes that way, from performing concerts and receiving performance compensation generated from my music being used in all kinds of media productions. The guitar was my first instrument but today I play other types as well: most solo concerts with the Chapman Stick but when recording I also play the tenor sax, the soprano sax, the EWI, fretless bass guitar, many kinds of guitars including fretless harp guitar. Quite recently I added working part-time teaching Swedish to foreign corporate professionals working in Sweden. That teaching is done over the internet, with video conference software, from a minimal studio workspace where I also live.

Anyone here from Scandinavia, and in particular, from Finland?
Now, this has me a little confused, i thought Finland wasn't part of Scandinavia, but just the Nordic countries. Still, nice to meet you, i am a Dane, just finished me degree in musicology and film and media studies, so currently i am unemployed. I am trying my best to make music my "9-5" while i don't have anything better to do though.

Now, this has me a little confused, i thought Finland wasn't part of Scandinavia, but just the Nordic countries. Still, nice to meet you, i am a Dane, just finished me degree in musicology and film and media studies, so currently i am unemployed. I am trying my best to make music my "9-5" while i don't have anything better to do though.

Actually Finland is not part of Scandinavia.

I sampled 3 kanteles:
- Concerto Kantele (I don't remember the manufacter, but I can ask to the player), it was so long to sample because one low string played forte can last something like 1 minute. Sustain, Muted, Harmonics.
- "Round-Ended Kantele" or "stick Kantele" but I think someone name it as "Saurasaari Kantele" <sorry I don't have dieresis in my keyboard. It's a Kantele with some bass strings. Sustain (pick) and Sustain (Finger)
- Small Kantele (5 strings if I remember well). Sustain, Harmonics & FX)

The player was a Finnish artist and friend Emma Lomy, and it was recorded in the wonderful studios of Sibelius Academy. Such good memories from this place!
I'm working also on a Jouhikko that I've sampled but I think it will take longer to script.

I'm releasing it in few days!!!! I recorded just a little preview for you with OBS (quality might not be the best)
Stay tuned on my website by subscribing to the newsletter! https://www.xperimentaproject.com

Damn these sound soooo nice. I amy have to buy these once you finish them. :)

Top Bottom