What's new

Performance Samples VOYAGE - Discussion!

Curious about the anti-keyswitch crowd, how do you handle switching to shorts? Isn't it way more natural to have a dedicated patch for shorts rather than an all-in-one faked performance patch? And since that's the case, why not just offer keyswitches for the people who prefer them?
I would think so, too. I mean Con Moto doesn't work with fast staccato. I've seen some of the videos from Voyage, so perhaps there's another way he will go about it, but i wouldn't mind having a separate keyswitch for fast round-robin short articulations. How would he even switch to pizz without keyswitches?

How would he even switch to pizz without keyswitches?
I think he can offer a separate patch for Pizz. Just a guess.

I'm not against key-switches, provided the developer doesn't go overboard, and provide more than I would like to deal with. keeping it within a max of 10 key-switches is fine for me, but more than that it becomes an overkill.

But, if VOYAGE will have no KS's , then maybe one can use Kontakt Bank Instruments, and switch via program change, or use Kontakt Script tools to change patches. i.e. the one from Orange Tree samples, ..etc.

Maybe more info. about this will be revealed by PS.

I think he can offer a separate patch for Pizz. Just a guess.

I'm not against key-switches, provided the developer doesn't go overboard, and provide more than I would like to deal with. keeping it within a max of 10 key-switches is fine for me, but more than that it becomes an overkill.

But, if VOYAGE will have no KS's , then maybe one can use Kontakt Bank Instruments, and switch via program change, or use Kontakt Script tools to change patches. i.e. the one from Orange Tree samples, ..etc.

Maybe more info. about this will be revealed by PS.
Sure, but you see how that's a less ideal solution, right? Lol!

Curious about the anti-keyswitch crowd, how do you handle switching to shorts? Isn't it way more natural to have a dedicated patch for shorts rather than an all-in-one faked performance patch? And since that's the case, why not just offer keyswitches for the people who prefer them?
Watch some Infinite brass and woodwinds walkthrough videos and experience enlightenment. Join us my friend and find the Truth. 🙏

But seriously, keyswitches have their place for pizz, harmonics, col legno, fx etc. But for shorts, bends, trills and in some cases even measured tremolos, can be done with a single patch. Just play it in and you're done. Although Caspian didn't have samples for short repetitions, it handles the shorts, and longs perfectly fine. Vista was also surprisingly bitey and fast for playing marcatos and shorts - but again, lacking of repetition samples.

Last edited:
Watch some Infinite brass and woodwinds walkthrough videos and experience enlightenment. Joins us my friend and find the Truth. 🙏

But seriously, keyswitches have their place for pizz, harmonics, col legno, fx etc. But for shorts, bends, trills and in some cases even measured tremolos, can be done with a single patch. Just play it in and you're done. Although Caspian didn't have samples for short repetitions, it handles the shorts, and longs perfectly fine. Vista was also surprisingly bitey and fast for playing marcatos and shorts - but again, lacking of repetition samples.
It doesn't seem to me like they're taking the Aaron Venture approach. They have short note patches separate from legato patches and it doesn't seem like they're going to be phase aligned

It doesn't seem to me like they're taking the Aaron Venture approach. They have short note patches separate from legato patches and it doesn't seem like they're going to be phase aligned

Yes there seems to be a lot of different patches and Jasper even is planning to include older recorded versions of many of the articulations so we have options. He did reply my question about performance patches on Facebook tho. Here is his reply:

”Tapani Siirtola - yes, most articulations in the library are 'performance patches,' in terms of release speed and phrasing flexibility (that's the main reason I re-recorded the sordinos I had started recording, to get more speed flexibility -- details in another post), and I did get rel RR & shorter material for the legato sustains, but it's very WIP right now, so it's a little early to say how it will manifest - though that's definitely an aim with this library.”

Well, for that "boutique" pricing as it was announced, wouldn't asking for a "boutique" articulation handling be out of place...?
I think this gets the same response as the GUI discussion earlier. Except the fact that different articulations will all require different negative track delays, which is a solid reason to keep them separate.

Or a reason to script in a uniform delay for everything!
Sure, possibly. Either way, things like GUI or keyswitches really wouldn't affect my decision. I'm just pushing back against the idea that these basic features found in most libraries have anything to do with the premium. If it's something I can do myself (assembling a multi with the keyswitches I want) I'm not really sweating whether they put them together for me - I'm paying for the things I can't do myself, the recordings, the scripting, etc. I mean, it might even become more commonplace for developers to create articulation maps for us as well but I can't imagine it being a problem. Only thing I hate is when you can't create your own (Play), but that's just me.

A little test patch for your pleasures :D

From Jasper's FB:

Voyage Strings Pre-Alpha Patch

For my Facebook friends: here's a little taste of the sound of the strings from Voyage. These are the 4-viola poco espressivo sordinos - the original recordings, not the re-recordings. Seven dynamics.
Read the included information text for more. This probably won't be online indefinitely.

Also, since I know people are going to say something, it's not noise-reduced here - these samples are pretty much straight out of the editing software, and imported in with extremely minimal work. I will be doing some level of noise reduction on this, but it will be *extremely* minimal (there's a voice around MIDI D4 on low dynamics), and probably won't meet the standards of those who prefer cleaner samples.

The immediacy and feeling of having an actual instrument under your fingers you get from something like Oceania is unparalleled for me. No key switches, that thing basically reads your mind and does what it has to do in a spectacular fashion. :)
Will be really interesting to see how that will work on Voyage....

From Jasper's FB:

For my Facebook friends: here's a little taste of the sound of the strings from Voyage. These are the 4-viola poco espressivo sordinos - the original recordings, not the re-recordings. Seven dynamics.
Read the included information text for more. This probably won't be online indefinitely.

Also, since I know people are going to say something, it's not noise-reduced here - these samples are pretty much straight out of the editing software, and imported in with extremely minimal work. I will be doing some level of noise reduction on this, but it will be *extremely* minimal (there's a voice around MIDI D4 on low dynamics), and probably won't meet the standards of those who prefer cleaner samples.
This is a really lovely patch. Beautiful tone, excellent dynamic range, and the "louré" feature with the pitchbend wheel works really well. Very playable patch and so satisfying to have believable, non-phrase based long repetitions that just sound right. Definitely recommend downloading this nice freebie, folks. This is only a tiny foretaste of what's to come with Voyage.

Last edited:
Regarding a possible lack of keyswitches in Voyage - it's really not a big deal because of this great free keyswitches router script (link) by Orange Tree Samples.

I would actually prefer this way because it 1) saves development time, 2) patch loading time and 3) gives more control to the user (e.g. in terms of keyswitch order and output routing).

That said, I wouldn't mind having keyswitch patches of course.
OH. MY. BAJEEBUS. I could cry with happiness...I've wanted this control since like. forever....! Thank you so much!

From Jasper's FB:

Any chance you have a mirror online somewhere? : )

Top Bottom