What's new

Performance Samples + Musical Sampling libraries as core libraries?

Genki

Hey guys, I'm getting back to composing and I'm basically starting over with building my libraries collection, from zero. I've had this idea, but I don't know of it's a good one, so I need some of your thoughts to help me out.

Now here is the thing, I could get Albion ONE as a nice all in one to get me the orchestral stuff + perc that I need, I dont mind that it has ensembles and not sections, not at all. I also have a 30% discount on it, which brings it down to 314 euros.

BUT...

I still have Oceania and Fluid Shorts from PS and when it comes to Oceania I absolutely love the concept they go for with playability first. I love the fact that I can avoid keyswitches.
Now a choir alone isnt gona get me far heh, so I thought I would wait for the forthcoming Angry Brass Pro (this month I guess), as it seems it will have more instruments than their Caspian.

So a Brass library without keyswitches as well would be awesome imo.

Now they so some strings (Con Moto, Solo) but it will be a while before all instruments get released. As an alternative for string needs with a similar sampling philosophy I thought of getting Trailer Strings. It can do ppp to fff and has those cool Adventure Patches made with playability in mind.

This would be later accompanied by some perc.

Now I don't write any complex Williams style orchestrations, I go for epic, emotional, uplifting, dark, etc but nothing too complex in arrangement mostly.

I love the idea of avoiding keyswitches and programming as little as possible... Oceania is so fun to play and the fact that I can just well, play it, makes me come up with new ideas and in a more fun way then if I had to do it the normal way with keyswitches. It honestly makes the composing process a lot more fun for me, and I hate having a million articulations see of which are specialized FX, or stuff like trills, and others that I won't use that much. Honestly I'd rather have a library where I have the bare essential artics that I know I will make heavy use of.

I just have doubts that these PS/MS libraries may not do well in softer transitions and parts, hence there might not be a lot of versatility.

If anyone has these and uses them I would love to know your thoughts. Do you think for the music I want to make that I could use these as my main strings/brass libraries?

I watched Cory's and Mike Verta's vids on these, and read some threads here on VIC, but I'm still not sure with just how versatile they are.

Note:I don't expect anyone to have Angry Brass Pro ofc, but Caspian or Trailer Brass, if you have these, I would love to know your thoughts. (I'm interested more in the Trailer libraries than the Adventure ones, from MS)

Caspian and adventure strings are the bedrock of my trailer template. Made a huge difference on those 24hr custom job deadlines! You can go far with those two alone, but a dash of cinesamples or spitfire would help for the legato stuff. Hoping for performance woodwinds though.

Caspian and adventure strings are the bedrock of my trailer template. Made a huge difference on those 24hr custom job deadlines! You can go far with those two alone, but a dash of cinesamples or spitfire would help for the legato stuff. Hoping for performance woodwinds though.

Awesome, that's cool to hear! Do you find Adventure strings to be versatile and good sounding when it comes to both short and long articulations, or style of playing? Like are the sustains fine for slow chords/pads as well? How is the dynamic range? Basically can it be used as a sole string library in an epic/trailer music track? Or even an emotional one?

Edit: Do you have any demos or tracks where you heavily utilize those 2 libraries? I would love to hear :)

Last edited:
I hate the idea of 'epic' as a genre, but yes, it would be more suited to that sort of thing. The dynamic range and playability is more geared towards agile, spritely stuff. Check Mike Verta's video review for a good idea of what it's good and not-so-good at.
The end of 'A Timeless Tale' here and also 'Warrior Reborn' is probably a good example of mostly caspian and Adventure strings doing the work. Plus a smattering of live strings. https://harmony-music.sourceaudio.com/#!explorer?b=6424403

If you like to avoid articulations as I do you may want to look at:

1) Infinite Brass;
2) Infinite Woodwinds (incoming);
3) Infinite Strings (planned for this summer);
4) Sample Modeling Brass;
5) Sample Modeling Strings (Ensemble and Solos, incoming);
6) Audio Modeling Woodwinds;
7) Audio Modeling Strings (solos);
8) Audio Modeling Brass (not out yet);
9) Infinite Percussion (planned for generic 2020).

I'll definitely build my template with them.
Give them a look, you will be surprised! ;)

I hate the idea of 'epic' as a genre, but yes, it would be more suited to that sort of thing. The dynamic range and playability is more geared towards agile, spritely stuff. Check Mike Verta's video review for a good idea of what it's good and not-so-good at.
The end of 'A Timeless Tale' here and also 'Warrior Reborn' is probably a good example of mostly caspian and Adventure strings doing the work. Plus a smattering of live strings. https://harmony-music.sourceaudio.com/#!explorer?b=6424403

Oh nice, I listened to and promoted that album, nice stuff there :)
Anyway that's nice to know. Caspian looks great, but I think I will wait a bit and see how Angry Brass Pro (the Ensembles, coming soon) will compare. Apparently it's supposed to have a tuba too, hmm. Hoping it comes this month, can't wait!
But yea thanks this really helped actually

EDIT: Nice job on the tracks, I promoted "A Timeless Tale" on my channel, good stuff :)

Last edited:
If you like to avoid articulations as I do you may want to look at:

1) Infinite Brass;
2) Infinite Woodwinds (incoming);
3) Infinite Strings (planned for this summer);
4) Sample Modeling Brass;
5) Sample Modeling Strings (Ensemble and Solos, incoming);
6) Audio Modeling Woodwinds;
7) Audio Modeling Strings (solos);
8) Audio Modeling Brass (not out yet);
9) Infinite Percussion (planned for generic 2020).

I'll definitely build my template with them.
Give them a look, you will be surprised! ;)

Checking out Infinite Brass now, looks quite impressive too :) Though all of these mentioned libraries seem to be on the more costly side (but I'm sure it's worth it, just that I dont have that much to spend atm). Good to know others are doing this as well! I think I will go for PS and MS' stuff for now, but if needed I might add one or two of those later down the line. Will keep an eye out mainly on Infinite Strings.

Note:I don't expect anyone to have Angry Brass Pro ofc, but Caspian or Trailer Brass, if you have these, I would love to know your thoughts. (I'm interested more in the Trailer libraries than the Adventure ones, from MS)
This one from Blakus is a great example of how you can use Trailer Brass:

But there's so much going on, it's hard to tell how far you could get with only Trailer Brass (and Albion One + a few others as core libraries).

Also: While the Percussion and Strings in Albion One are great for epic, I'd also recommend to look into Berlin Orchestra Inspire (here) as an allrounder library, as they also have a few solo instruments + combination patches (Violins 1&2 for example) and imho the Brass sound is a lot better than from Albion One (especially for for sustain chords). Might be a little more versatile when you decide to do a piece not so much focused on Epic (as you also have other things like a great Steinway or Harp).
Biggest limitations are: you don't have multiple mic positions and the percussion is more focused on classical orchestra.

Last edited:
I can recommend the Musical Sampling products.
To summarize it:

Adventure Brass: Very versatile

Trailer Brass: more for over the top parts

Adventure Strings: feels like the players always dig into the strings, also at lower dynamics. Not really meant for subtle/soft writing.

Soaring Strings: Long articulations only, but does this really well.

Trailer Strings: The most versatile of the 3 string libs, even if the name does not suggest it.

If I'd had to pick only one from each section, I'd go with Adventure Brass + Trailer Strings. Or wait for Musical Samplings next 50% sale and get more than those 2. :)

With Adventure Strings alone as single String lib I would feel a bit limited.

I can recommend the Musical Sampling products.
To summarize it:

Adventure Brass: Very versatile

Trailer Brass: more for over the top parts

Adventure Strings: feels like the players always dig into the strings, also at lower dynamics. Not really meant for subtle/soft writing.

Soaring Strings: Long articulations only, but does this really well.

Trailer Strings: The most versatile of the 3 string libs, even if the name does not suggest it.

If I'd had to pick only one from each section, I'd go with Adventure Brass + Trailer Strings. Or wait for Musical Samplings next 50% sale and get more than those 2. :)

With Adventure Strings alone as single String lib I would feel a bit limited.

Thanks for the breakdown! I think I will grab PS Angry Brass Pro depending on how it turns out, and if not then maybe Caspian. Otherwise Trailer Brass is what I'm interested in. Good to know that Trailer Strings is versatile, I think I will pick that up as my string library.
Btw, do you know when Musical Sampling tend to do their sales? I think there was one not too long ago, but would be cool if there was another one soon ahah.

Btw, do you know when Musical Sampling tend to do their sales? I think there was one not too long ago, but would be cool if there was another one soon ahah.
Last year one was at the end of June/beginning of July and one somewhere in the middle of November I believe (both 50% off); at least those two I can remember:)

Last year one was at the end of June/beginning of July and one somewhere in the middle of November I believe (both 50% off); at least those two I can remember:)

Nice, looking forward to another one soon then :)

Checking out Infinite Brass now, looks quite impressive too :) Though all of these mentioned libraries seem to be on the more costly side (but I'm sure it's worth it, just that I dont have that much to spend atm). Good to know others are doing this as well! I think I will go for PS and MS' stuff for now, but if needed I might add one or two of those later down the line. Will keep an eye out mainly on Infinite Strings.

Worth every penny, look at this post for more info: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/infinite-brass-opinions.82764/

Nice. I checked out the walkthrough, though I do prefer the hall of the Performance Samples Brass. I also don't need the instruments to be separated, I actually just prefer simpler sections (6 horns, 3 trumpets, etc.). But it's very impressive! Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep an eye out for Aaron's future projects!

I really think performance based sampling is the future and I hope more devs jump on it. Like you, I too am trying to build a template or well collection of libraries which consists of libraries like these, to minimize track count and maximize speed of workflow and enjoyment of composing and to avoid all the programming. Stuff like Oceania is so easy and *fun* to play, it just makes the whole process much more enjoyable :)

Nice. I checked out the walkthrough, though I do prefer the hall of the Performance Samples Brass. I also don't need the instruments to be separated, I actually just prefer simpler sections (6 horns, 3 trumpets, etc.). But it's very impressive! Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep an eye out for Aaron's future projects!

I really think performance based sampling is the future and I hope more devs jump on it. Like you, I too am trying to build a template or well collection of libraries which consists of libraries like these, to minimize track count and maximize speed of workflow and enjoyment of composing and to avoid all the programming. Stuff like Oceania is so easy and *fun* to play, it just makes the whole process much more enjoyable :)

Yeah, I think it si for sure a more musical way of composing. You can think more about music than tons of keyswitching to get the right articulation.

Moreover you can cover all the shades between staccato and spiccato and so on.

About the instruments I'm trying to reach a more classical approach to composing so I like to go for single instruments instead of sections, this way I decide how much every line could go bigger or smaller.
I'd like to have sections only for the strings (adding solos instruments on top maybe) because they are so many instruments that it would be difficult to control all of them individually.

I hope too more developers jumps on it because there's nothing similar to this way of using libraries for making music.

Yeah, I think it si for sure a more musical way of composing. You can think more about music than tons of keyswitching to get the right articulation.

Moreover you can cover all the shades between staccato and spiccato and so on.

About the instruments I'm trying to reach a more classical approach to composing so I like to go for single instruments instead of sections, this way I decide how much every line could go bigger or smaller.
I'd like to have sections only for the strings (adding solos instruments on top maybe) because they are so many instruments that it would be difficult to control all of them individually.

I hope too more developers jumps on it because there's nothing similar to this way of using libraries for making music.

Regarding the individual instruments separation, is Aaron going for the same approach as with the brass for the rest of his libraries as well? Or is there no word on that yet?

And yeah for a classical approach it makes sense.

You may have already, but I would definitely download PS's free demo of Angry Brass. It has trombone, French horn, and trumpet sections that are highly useable. May give you an idea as to what the lib will give you. My only thing is that the dynamic range sounds cheap with them. But at FF, it's great.

Regarding the individual instruments separation, is Aaron going for the same approach as with the brass for the rest of his libraries as well? Or is there no word on that yet?

And yeah for a classical approach it makes sense.

What I know about it is that it will be the same for woodwinds but for strings he will build solos and ensemble patches with a dynamic approach.

Thanks for the breakdown! I think I will grab PS Angry Brass Pro depending on how it turns out, and if not then maybe Caspian. Otherwise Trailer Brass is what I'm interested in. Good to know that Trailer Strings is versatile, I think I will pick that up as my string library.
After playing a bit with Trailer Strings again, maybe I have to add that the attacks on the long articulations are very pronounced. Probably not that suitable for quieter melodic lines then.

Top Bottom