What's new

Performance Samples Con Moto - Violins A

Allow me to disagree. CSS sounded and will always sound good as it simply sounds like...a real string section with real good sounding legato... so it's hard to be annoyed or bored from something that just sounds natural. yes the tone is dark but can be treated. Now with CM, good luck to avoid being repetitive with the wet environment+bow-change legato+hyped vibrato that you're stuck with in every single note. Not to say that it doesn't sound good by any means, in fact it sounds excellent, but overdoing the natural is in itself something unnatural.That's my personal humble opinion of course:)
I'm not sure why you pick out the vibrato because CSS has just as much vibrato if my sonic profile from the top of my head is correct. There is no in between full vibrato and zero vibrato. And the zero vibrato doesn't have true legato. So there is no real superiority there, unless you simply prefer the vibrato in CSS, which is subjective of course. I like both equally I think.
I also don't get the legato thing... CSS has one type of normal legato that can be lengthened and shortened, I don't think those are separate recordings. And then portamento, which doesn't really defy repetitiveness for the most part since it's not an alternative to normal legato, unless the notes are very close by. So, not really much more legato variance...
I also like the wet environment. I don't understand why a natural sounding sample should not be wet since that will be the case with every *typical* real recording as well, which we all try to emulate. And even just on a personal level, I don't like strings close or dry. + Actually they can be dried up and front faced quite well with 2 different types of close mics, one even isolating the first few players giving a very defined divisi/1st chair feel.
And I personally find it very easy to be annoyed by the very same samples being used in every 2nd piece! In fact I'm already rolling my eyes each time I hear CSS in a piece and when I use it I always layer something else to change the sound a bit.

CSS has one type of normal legato that can be lengthened and shortened, I don't think those are separate recordings.
Just to clarify, I believe CSS (advanced legato mode) has three speeds, which are each taken from recordings played at that speed*. Plus the portamento, the rebow, the marcato legato, and the very short legato that comes with the classic patches (for minimal latency). And there's no controls to stretch the legato length. :)

* EDIT: I thought I read in the CSS manual that the legato speeds are all taken from recordings played at those speeds. But after checking, I don't see it. So I actually don't know.

Last edited:
@Jasper Blunk ---

Please add a control to Con Moto that allows the user to compress/expand the volume range, like you have done with Fluid Shorts II.

It will help to match Con Moto with other libraries, since it is only a sustain patch and will need to be combined with other instruments to fill in the other articulations.

At the moment my copy of Con Moto Violins B is sadly sitting on the sidelines because I'm having trouble integrating it with my other strings.

@Jasper Blunk ---

Please add a control to Con Moto that allows the user to compress/expand the volume range, like you have done with Fluid Shorts II.

It will help to match Con Moto with other libraries, since it is only a sustain patch and will need to be combined with other instruments to fill in the other articulations.
He did actually add that feature to the Violins A! But yeah, an update to the other Con Moto's to bring them up to speed would be great.

He did actually add that feature to the Violins A! But yeah, an update to the other Con Moto's to bring them up to speed would be great.
My Con Moto Violins B is sad because it can't join in the fun. Won't you please help this poor VI play with its friends.

Kudos for adding that feature in Con Moto Violins A though.

Last edited:
The vibratos are a bit much for me on the demos. So is this baked in... is there a non-vib patch?

For those that have both A and B, are violins A more nimble or the same as B? Can they play a fast legato also?

Just to clarify, I believe CSS (advanced legato mode) has three speeds, which are each taken from recordings played at that speed. Plus the portamento, the rebow, the marcato legato, and the very short legato that comes with the classic patches (for minimal latency). And there's no controls to stretch the legato length. :)
It doesn't sound like different recordings for the legato at all. I even checked it some time ago and heard the same kind of recording artifacts at all the speeds. And the marcato legato is most certainly just the fast cut legato with short notes on top. At least that's how it sounds like to me.

hmm $209 for a single legato patch of a single section with only 3 dynamic layers ("MODERATELY soft"???). Not saying it's not worth it as it obviously sounds good from the demos. But the programming would want to almost cure cancer justify it. Also, disappointed there's no crossgrade option for Con Moto - Cellos owners where were the first to dive in.

Looking forward to hearing more use experiences.

This. It sounds good, but it is pricey for what it is.

Here some audio examples I did. (Links are not visible via handy!) Just a few minutes after installing the library. No editing or retakes, except removing a few bad notes and silly dynamics I played in. Of course it can sound even better with actual proper programming and processing. My examples are naked, except some mic mixing in the last 2, which I talk about below.

This one I think was just the decca mic as it loads out of the box.

And here another less nonsensical improv with a custom mic mix I made. Attached an image with my mix here: (click to make big)
CM Vlns A Mic Mix.png

Aaaand here I tried how it sounds like to play repeated notes. It sounds surprisingly good!! I don't think there is any rebowing scripting under the hood but it seems like the sustains were recorded in a way that makes them very suitable for defined and expressive re-triggering.

I'm very impressed and happy with this library!!!!!!! (Those are JUST enough !!'s haha)

Last edited:
I'm a little disappointed in the limited-time upgrade offer. One thing that I really like about the Cinematic Studio Series is that the loyalty discounts on new products never expire.

@Jasper Blunk ---

At the moment my copy of Con Moto Violins B is sadly sitting on the sidelines because I'm having trouble integrating it with my other strings.
In the meantime you could always use the faithful cc11 🙂

I was gonna push the buy button but it's just a bit high for me for a single patch product. Not to mention the vibrato is also a bit much for me.
Waiting for the Nashville Chamber Strings to come out,

Waiting for the Nashville Chamber Strings to come out
Me too...but let's figure if this Con Moto library is going to be upwards of $500 when all is said and done with the viola and bass...and that's for ONE articulation...imagine when its all 4 instruments and a normal array of articulations? probably well over $1k

Me too...but let's figure if this Con Moto library is going to be upwards of $500 when all is said and done with the viola and bass...and that's for ONE articulation...imagine when its all 4 instruments and a normal array of articulations? probably well over $1k

Over $1k would make it (to my knowledge) the most expensive strings library on the market. A pretty bold assertion of value.

Over $1k would make it (to my knowledge) the most expensive strings library on the market. A pretty bold assertion of value.
Well, of course this is a guess...based off of the Con Moto pricing so far...and for ONE articulation. I can only imagine how expensive it would be for an entire section with the major articulations...Believe me, I am hoping not even close to that, but it's been hinted already by Jasper that it's going to be well north of $450...as someone else suggested. So it's anyones guess.. LOL

Here some audio examples I did. (Links are not visible via handy!) Just a few minutes after installing the library. No editing or retakes, except removing a few bad notes and silly dynamics I played in. Of course it can sound even better with actual proper programming and processing. My examples are naked, except some mic mixing in the last 2, which I talk about below.

This one I think was just the decca mic as it loads out of the box.

And here another less nonsensical improv with a custom mic mix I made. Attached an image with my mix here: (click to make big)
CM Vlns A Mic Mix.png

Aaaand here I tried how it sounds like to play repeated notes. It sounds surprisingly good!! I don't think there is any rebowing scripting under the hood but it seems like the sustains were recorded in a way that makes them very suitable for defined and expressive re-triggering.

I'm very impressed and happy with this library!!!!!!! (Those are JUST enough !!'s haha)

The examples sound great to my ears. Somewhere in the back of my brain, though, there's a part of me that wonders if it's weird for a violin section to do a bow change on every note.

The examples sound great to my ears. Somewhere in the back of my brain, though, there's a part of me that wonders if it's weird for a violin section to do a bow change on every note.
I have that too when I play some things hehe... but mostly it works for me and when I really don't like the defined transition it should work to pull down the cc1 or cc11 data very quickly exactly at the transition to make it more subtle.

Top Bottom