1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance Samples - Caspian Brass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by lucor, Nov 13, 2017.

1. vewilya

vewilya Senior Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Whatever the wizardry behind this amazing instrument, it surely needs its CPU to be running nicely. I host it in Kontakt in a DP session and it ranks number one on the effect performance meter!! BUT!! I adore it nonetheless. Will have to upgrade my CPU though... What a vicious cycle this has become....

Karl Feuerstake likes this.
  2. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

same goes with the Ocenia. Love the sounds but encountered a few hiccups here and there during the composition journey which ended up reloading the composition projects a few times. Can be frustrating at times. I'm on 7th gen core i7-7700 kabby lake processor though which is personally think it's fairly powerful for my current composition workflow. But !!! One thing for sure. It does live up to its name as Performance Samples. It's really great ! It truly has an amazing playability performance and the sound quality is top notch ! that's something i can't deny !

3. clisma

clisma Senior Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Latest version of Logic here, and playing around with Caspian I can see it requiring a lot in "live mode." In the trumpets, as I play fast chord repetitions, I do occasionally get a CPU overload for that core.

The way to deal with that for us Logic users would be to enable only one of the three mic position while writing/ recording, so as to keep the CPU usage to a minimum, then re-enable the remaining mics. Works well over here.

And yes, very playable. Great sound out of the gate. It's so good for what it is that I don't even mind the limited articulations. Well done, Jasper.

4. rvb

rvb Senior Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Just bought this andd I realllly like it a lot so far. It's really quick and fun working with this library!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    SoNowWhat? likes this.
  5. miguel88

miguel88 Active Member

Feb 25, 2016
    do you guys recommend this library for first dedicate brass library even doesn't have all brass instruments? the initial prices is gorgeous

constaneum likes this.
  6. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

I personally will recommend to get it but i for now have no plan to get as i already have cinebrass core, projectsam's orchestral brass classic as well as east west's hollywood brass & the classic SO Gold. The recommendation reasons are as follow:-
    1. The tone of the instruments is right
    2. The playability performance which i couldn't highly recommend enough based on my experience with Ocenia. I'm sure you all might have experienced that where by there are times when you want that flexibility switching capability between staccato and sustain notes which won't sound like a hiccup or chocking transition between the two articulations. I personally find it works very well. Imagine you have that staccato overlay which can be done with Cinebrass and Hollywood Brass but somehow the result might not be that satisfactory or convincing. I'm pretty sure Caspian can nail that aspect based on what i've experienced with Ocenia.
    3. Very good for sketching if you're on tight schedule. Quick and easy to use. This is what i like !
    Even though the down size is that it has limited articulations and no true legato for solo lines, don't let that factor turn your heads away from this library. Don't be deceived by its limited articulations. It's indeed a very hand and a potentially powerful brass library if used correctly or appropriately.

Here's my experience with Ocenia which you may refer to the following audio demo.

7. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I too am always interested in much can be done dynamically from simply playing on a MIDI piano keybed...

From your sig it looks as though you're a Reaper user. Can you verify that whatever CPU spike problem may exist for Logic users doesn't apply to Reaper?

sostenuto likes this.
  8. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Senior Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ahh damn, fooled by the lack of VAT on the price again!

Bought anyway, one last early birthday present for me!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    I hope this is the future of sampling. Only 1Gb in size, 3 simple patches without a million keyswitches, yet way more playable and better sounding than most brass libraries out there. More please!!

10. Karl Feuerstake

Karl Feuerstake Senior Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Honestly, the play-ability of it does seriously point to the future.
    I'm VERY impressed with the library. The ability to just play shorts and longs realistically without having key-switches is a true step towards to the future. Congrats Jasper.

I've produced a couple of private, self-tailored sample-libraries in the past - and so I see and appreciate how Jasper is truly showing a leading edge above even the AAA devs like Spitfire with how playable this. So easy to use, and sounds very good too. The intro-price is a steal. Don't get me wrong, in my honesty I will say I prefer the room-sound and microphones that Spitfire libraries offer, but this takes ease of playing powerful, realistic sounding lines to another level.

Polkasound and Quasar like this.
  11. calebfaith

calebfaith Senior Member

From what I've seen it hovers around 10% CPU on an old AMD FX8350 with all three mics. Only 93MB RAM as well (FH)

Quasar likes this.
  12. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Bought it, just under the intro price wire. The bass trombones most especially stand out to me, and the ability to play longs and shorts without key switches is cool. The CC1 dynamics are wonderful, the timbrel characteristics you associate with their various velocity levels seem perfect, and cover from p (PP?) to about fff really well. The modwheel in this regard seems much more sensitive than average.

Having no key-touch velocity control is different than what I'm used to, but I'm perfectly fine with this and can get used to it. Cool library.

vewilya likes this.
  13. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Just picked up Caspian Brass. The only thing I regret is not getting this during the intro price.
    Oh my lord, I've never loved a brass library as much as this one.

This is my first run with it.

@Jasper Blunk Will there ever be a companion product to this one?
    If so, permit me to throw my wallet your way.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  14. vosk

vosk Member

Oct 3, 2011
    where breath in part of horns?

15. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Rookie mistake; Of course you always hire ghouls to play brass. No breathing required!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. Geocranium

Geocranium Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Seattle
    He only hires circular breathers.

17. Jasper Blunk

Jasper Blunk Senior Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Most of the core concepts behind Caspian do apply to other sections (strings/choir, etc). Oceania has a good bit in common with Caspian in that respect, although Oceania was far more in-depth with repetition sample assets. I'm editing & programming Con Moto (8-6-6-6 legato strings) at the moment, which is stylistically a different product than Caspian but has some similar aspects of flexibility.

rottoy, Polkasound and lucor like this.
  18. Geocranium

Geocranium Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Seattle
    I understand that you're more than busy with Con Moto at the moment, but if there were ever a tuba addition to Caspian, well I don't think I could contain my excitement.

calebfaith likes this.
  19. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Senior Member

May 8, 2013
    Looking forward to Con Moto. You might as well just keep my credit card number on file. Caspian and Oceania were two of the best libraries I acquired last year, so Con Moto is likely an insta-buy. Keep up the great work.

rvb likes this.