Performance Samples Caspian as a first/main brass library - thoughts?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Arise, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Arise

Arise Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I have Oceania and love the ease-of-use and performance based sampling (no articulations or keyswitches needed).

Caspian has the same thing going on, which makes me interested in it, and I need a brass library. Kind of a shame it doesn't have a tuba though.

Do you guys think it's worth it to get this?

From what I heard the trumpets are good, the french horns are aight but nothing special and the trombones are really good.

It's 239 full price, though for 40 more bucks I can have Cinematic Studio Brass (loyalty discount).

I love both Performance Samples and Cinematic Samples and their way of making libraries.

2. Syneast

Syneast Active Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I have Cinematic Studio Brass and the marcato patches in it work sort of like Caspian if you turn on staccato overlay. And you get solo instruments and lots more articulations

Caspian is very small and light though.

3. OP
    OP
    Arise

Arise Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Yeah Caspian is incredibly small (1.16GB iirc). But I know that CS Brass will give me a better sound overall. I don't know, I could see myself liking either one of the 2 heh .Decisions..

4. tadam

tadam Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Hungary
    I think all their libraries are fantastic, but to me a little overpriced.

While I can purchase the CASPIAN for 92.330 HUF,

Hollywood Brass Diamond is 94.484 HUF,
    Cinematic Studio Brass is 104.240 HUF with loyality discount.

So for me don't worth it because there are very detailed sample libraries at similar prices.

Casiquire likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Arise

Arise Member

Dec 24, 2018
    That's true, the prices are very similar (considering the loyalty discount) and with CS Brass I get a lot more instruments and a better sound I'd say. And it would blend better with CSS.
    Still I find the performance sampling method of PS fascinating. But overall I'm leaning a bit on CSB when it comes to bang for the buck

6. tadam

tadam Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Hungary
    To make the choice even more difficult:

CASPIAN is on sale ;)

https://performancesamples.com/caspian/

MartinH. likes this.
  7. col

col Active Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Have both here.
    CSB has the superb solo instruments as well and is a better all rounder.

RightOnTime likes this.
  8. Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Worth getting? Yes. For the playability. As a main brass library? Definitely not. No tuba, no separate bass trombone, RR on trumpets only. I have many brass libs and use Caspian for layering or to quickly sketch something. Never as the main library (for that, I use CSB and CineBrass).

sostenuto and RightOnTime like this.
  9. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

but make sure you turn off the legato coz sometimes you might have that "sticky note" by accident. just to be safe. =)

10. NeonMediaKJT

NeonMediaKJT New Member

Dec 16, 2017
    I own both Caspian and CSB. Caspian is really great, I love it. Especially the Trombones. The only issue is playing repetitions is hard because there aren't really Round Robins. But playing big brass melodies with it is so fun! CSB I just bought and it just sounds amazing all around, IMO. The legato is so smooth and I LOVE the short articulations on the Trumpets and Trombones. You can pull of really nice Star Wars-y type repetitions with it and it can play rather softly, too!

ScoreFace likes this.
  11. midiman

midiman Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think Caspian is amazing at what it does. Very musical and easy to use. Sounds good out of the box, with just a bit of reverb. Performance Samples is amazing.