What's new

Perfection is Overrated

But if we speak of Scriabin, the difference is, he was innovative, even though using traditional forms.

Except he wasn't trying to be innovative for the sake of being innovative. Unlike some of the 20th century composers

It all came down to what he liked to hear. From his early works to late works, you can hear every little one bits of pieces of progress from op1 towards the last work. It was evolutionary rather than mutational.

There is also a rumor that he had been on some kind of hallucinogen that made him perceive dissonant music as pleasant.

Oh, I have no doubt about that.

Honestly I am sort of a perfectionist myself. Would love to hear your opinion on regards to the following though

I generally have the belief about that it is the reality of how rarely there is anyone who's into classical (or concert) music, amongst the millennials population (like myself)

Among them (or us) there are both musicians and non musicians but very unlikely would there be anyone among them that is truly into classical music (and by that I mean they only have to fall in love with merely 1 composer's music but most of them have not) The perfectionist myself tells me that is a huge baloney due to how good classical music can be if the correct piece was chosen to be heard.

But I observe and suspect that the reason to it is because mozart has been repeatedly put at the fore front and is synonymous with "classical music". People around my age don't find that "cool" or "impressive". The older generation (65 years or older as of today) however, are more likely to be the opposite.

I don't think the "dumbing down of the next and next generations" theory is really accurate because beautiful music in the end is still beautiful even to untrained ears.

The people that I know who like classical music at the same time who also weren't music majors (because let's eliminate bias and by the way this is very few them) seem to always list composers like Brahms and mozart as their favorite composers. I also sense that they don't "love" it. Most of them don't even care about music all that much and aren't convicted by any composer's music that they claim to "be into" the same way Scriabin has convicted me so harshly. Or the same way Ravel's music has convicted you so much. It's just that I have serious doubts that they actually love Brahms and mozart to the point they would kill to want to make music that is influenced by their favorite composers

Now here's another barrier, its that music historians tend to paint Scriabin as this crazy composer who was extremely innovative and sadly most of his earlier works aren't viewed as important as his lates. making it very difficult for anyone to get into Scriabin. A lot of people care about music, they go to EDM festivals and claim some DJs gave them feelings rapture (even without drug) so I'm pretty positive that if they spent enough time with Scriabin' earlier works they would be into it just the same way they could feel listening to some EDM that has huge build up tensions and drops. But due to musicologists spend even more time talking about composers who had already been given enough attention, and making potentially attractive music more not on the front line of the concert music genre, we are almost doomed as a society that classical music is in decline and it's declined further than ever.

Just a pet peeve of mine due to that there is a more perfect world in my head which is not the reality.

Top Bottom