What's new

Perception, my latest track made entirely with Arturia Pigments 3

Tatiana Gordeeva

Long time member
Hi everyone! Let me share with you my latest track and video entitled Perception.

It is made entirely with Arturia Pigments v3, actually 18 tracks of separate Pigments synths running concurrently with mostly granular and harmonic engines. Even percussion instruments are made with it :) I really enjoyed using Pigments and it did not tax my machine unduly as many would suspect. I didn't have to freeze anything even using EQs, compressors and Ozone on my master channel.

The feel is mostly dystopian, think Blade Runner meets Inception meets Terminator and a touch of Orwell's 1984 and some multiverse in it too for good proportion :)

The accompanying video on YT is kinda crazy, especially the second part which is 3D.
You can find it here:

Last edited:
Well done! Your description of the feel is spot on. The music works very well with the video, did you compose it to the video or adapt the video to fit the music? Either way, it's great. I have one small critique and that is I wish the organ was replaced with a different instrument. To my ears it seemed to not fit in perfectly with the rest of the piece. Anyway, small nitpicking.. I really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

@patrick76 : thank you for your nice words!! Much appreciated :) The video & music were co-created actually, hence the good fit I guess. The music was the leader of that dance I would say.

The organ patch (2 harmonic engines) by Victor Morello was chosen exactly for this out-of-time feel, one foot in the present the other in the dystopian future, both sides of the "perception".

I love exercises like yours... the so called One Synth Challenges. Fantastically executed, I enjoyed this very much.

❤️
Thank you so much!! I absolutely fell in love with the new harmonic engine in Pigments v3. It has such a distinctive flavor. I did not start thinking I would only use Pigments on that track but, going on, I just couldn't stop piling them up, even for percussive sounds, which surprised me quite a bit.

wow Tatiana, your sound has a lot of depth, clarity and separation! Really well made, congratulations, can I ask what monitoring system you use?

@Tatiana Gordeeva
Wow! as always well done 👍
This beautiful work is making it much harder for me to resist Pigments 3.
Now I think of you as Tatiana: the Pigments temptress.
At least I don’t think of you as the Pig lady,not yet anyway ………..lol 😘
Bravo! 👏

wow Tatiana, your sound has a lot of depth, clarity and separation! Really well made, congratulations, can I ask what monitoring system you use?
Thank you very much @Toecutter ! It's funny that you mention this as just today, before posting the track, my husband and I were having a discussion about playback systems and how mastering for streaming platforms is now difficult because of the lack (or rather the multitude) of loudness standards, different devices, etc. Now, like me, he'll be glad to know that some people really appreciate carefully crafted sound.

The answer to your question is more complicated than one would expect. My studio monitors are custom-designed by him. He explains it better than me: they use long (>1m) narrow magneto-dynamic drivers, very narrow enclosures for dispersion control and low diffraction effects, with custom specs mid-drivers and two SVS cylindrical subs (1kW+ amped) because the room is about 25x30x12H feet (300+ cubic meters). The mains are bi-amped and everything goes through 3-way digital XOs.

Of course the system is sonically calibrated (idem for headphones) and diffusing wall treatment is assured by books (the studio is set up in his library). In the past we have used TacT Audio digital Room Correction, then ARC 2 but since then we've moved to Sonarworks which also offers headphones calibration. Response is absolutely flat but bass is terrifying! About headphones (for work late at night): mostly Sennheiser (HD-800, HD-600), Beyer DT-880, a few Senns 280 (isolated) for live work, etc. Most useful in that regard is Cubase Pro's Control Room setup with separate vst plugins for mains and for headphones outs.

Last edited:
Watched/listened moments after your post. Struggled with immediate comment ...... nothing negative, just assimilating both video and audio taken together.

Now ... just focusing on sound track; both in context with video, also with Pigments 3 ( which was just purchased amid many post and critiques ).
Your composition is pleasing, filled with depth, emotion, diversity, impact.
Many thanks for providing this opportunity to follow your adventure ! Nicely done. 🎈🎈

@sostenuto : thank you very much for your nice words! The video and the music kind of co-evolved in a way. There were many challenges in the making of this video that were addressed pretty well in the end I think. But, as usual, there's always room for improvement, given time... which is rarely available as we all know. Other projects are always begging for attention :) But it was a fun experience and I discovered many Pigments v3 new features along the way. Thanks again!

Another great track, Tatiana! You never stop surprising me. It seems like you can work in any style. Terrific video, too.

You are the best demo-maker for Pigments ever, even if you aren't an official one. I bought Pigments shortly after hearing this and I don't think I'll be the last person to do this. :2thumbs:
No you’re not the last,I take back all of my tepid comments about Pigments 3, I caved after hearing Tatiana’s awesome demo,I bought and installed Pig3 and I really like Pigments more than I thought I would.
@Tatiana Gordeeva
I hope Arturia at least gave you a NFR & I guess I’m officially a
🎶🎶Piggy🎶 🎶 👍

Last edited:
Well, I’m going to agree with just about everything written so far. I’m also not sure what style you can’t write!
Pigments 3 and earlier really didn’t grab me, but this got my antenna’s up. :)

Top Bottom