What's new

PEDAL STEEL by Impact Soundworks - Available NOW w/ intro pricing!

Once you register a serial you cannot unregister it - it's added to your NI user account, forever.

@NYC Composer - that's a pretty weird issue. All that's required is to select (NOT open) the overarching library folder (the one that contains .nicnt file in it), and press Install. Then NA does its thing and reports when library is installed successfully.

ED-you see my folder (posted earlier in this thread). I did what Andrew suggested and moved files into the sample folder. I don't have the option of opening it or not-when NA has me navigate to the enclosing folder with the .nicnt, I can "cancel" or "open". When I "open" it takes me back to the "Locate Pedal Steel" folder but the install button is greyed out.

Ive dl'd the files twice...in the unpacking there's apparently an error in how they unpack, but it shouldn't affect anything. I'm using WinZip to unpack and it seems to be fine, I get three .rar's for samples and one for instruments and they all unzip fine. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yup, more than a mild error re. unpacking. I've used UnRar X to unpack hundreds of Mac libraries, but today it told me the the first sample file wasn't valid...in spite of downloading it twice. I then found a program called The Unarchiver and it unpacked the sample file(s). Finally got this installed after over a hour of fiddling.

Larry, here's a screen shot of my file structure. Do compare, but at a glance it looks the same as yours.
Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 12.52.32 PM.png
I'm thinking that maybe your problem is somewhere else...such as your older o/s and version of Kontakt or something that has gone wrong in NA for you. One simply adds the serial number in NA and once it's recognized one next goes into "Uninstalled" and selects Pedal Steel. NA should ask you to Browse to locate the Pedal Steel folder, and once you see it in the browser, click "Open" then NA should proceed with the installation. Does any of this help?

Thanks Frank-well, it helps in that it confirms that I've done everything you said and it hasn't worked :)

I didn't see anything on the Impact Soundworks site that said anything about operating system, just said K5.7 or above, which I have. I'd be happy to update to 5.8.1 if necessary, but I can't get above El Capitan on my old Mac Pro without a kludge of some sort.

WinZip has always been reliable for me...jeez, I dunno.

ED-of course, no way to roll back NA to an earlier version? It updated me without giving me any choice, just by opening it.

Once you register a serial you cannot unregister it - it's added to your NI user account, forever.

Ok - maybe I don't need to de-register it, but what do I need to do to get Kontakt to see the samples? The instrument loads - but doesn't play the samples.

Larry, if you type "Roll back Native Access" into Google, you'll find lots of answers. First, just download an older version then trash the new one completely and install the old one. What I don't know..and Mario can answer this...is if when you open the 'old' version if it will just get updated to the latest version automatically...and you are back to 'square one'!

Ok - maybe I don't need to de-register it, but what do I need to do to get Kontakt to see the samples? The instrument loads - but doesn't play the samples.
When you are doing a batch resave, and it shows 'missing samples', are you saying you are unable to point it to the correct sample folder?? Is your sample folder identical to the one in the screen shot above??

When you are doing a batch resave, and it shows 'missing samples', are you saying you are unable to point it to the correct sample folder?? Is your sample folder identical to the one in the screen shot above??

It doesn't show "missing samples" on batch re-save. It just doesn't load the samples when I load the instrument.

The file structure isn't like above - it had the samples in [Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Documentation\Pedal Steel Samples\Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Samples].

When I first installed the instrument I had the "missing samples" box and I had to point Kontakt to the correct path, and it played fine. So I decided to be clever and do the batch re-save, that's when I first had the no-play problem.

The folder [Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Samples] just has Pedal steel.nkc (21KB), and Pedal Steel.nkr (26.898MB)in it.

So I copied the samples files into the samples folder, as you have above, and it still doesn't load the samples. The samples are present in the folder, but Kontakt doesn't connect to them.

jdf

Larry, if you type "Roll back Native Access" into Google, you'll find lots of answers. First, just download an older version then trash the new one completely and install the old one. What I don't know..and Mario can answer this...is if when you open the 'old' version if it will just get updated to the latest version automatically...and you are back to 'square one'!
Thanks Frank-nice pickup on the "older system", and yeah, I get it-I might go through the same unwanted updating process.

Guess I'll wait for ED to check in. Thanks again!

Torture! I'm dying for some examples of people using it. Pedal steel was always the achilles heel in the VI universe, looking forward to this.

I remember a pedal steel DX7 patch I used a bunch back in the 80s that made me totally happy then. I shudder to think what it might sound like now. But I shudder easily...

It doesn't show "missing samples" on batch re-save. It just doesn't load the samples when I load the instrument.

The file structure isn't like above - it had the samples in [Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Documentation\Pedal Steel Samples\Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Samples].

When I first installed the instrument I had the "missing samples" box and I had to point Kontakt to the correct path, and it played fine. So I decided to be clever and do the batch re-save, that's when I first had the no-play problem.

The folder [Impact Soundworks Pedal Steel\Samples] just has Pedal steel.nkc (21KB), and Pedal Steel.nkr (26.898MB)in it.

So I copied the samples files into the samples folder, as you have above, and it still doesn't load the samples. The samples are present in the folder, but Kontakt doesn't connect to them.

jdf
Possibly, when you did the batch resave, without the correct file structure, Kontakt keeps looking for the samples now in the wrong place now. Try completely uninstalling the library from Kontakt and on your computer (see NI's guide to uninstalling a Kontakt library completely) then start again, making sure your file structure is exactly as shown above. Then batch resave the new version.

Mac: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210291865
PC: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209569069

Sounds like you may have hit "Skip missing" during the batch re-save. That essentially saves the patch with the samples it can't find removed, which would account for no samples playing. If that's what happened you may have to extract the .nki from the original download to get the original back that still references the samples. Hope that helps.

Best,

SOLVED.

I should have tried this a day ago-I changed the install path to an internal SSD rather than an external SSD. I have no idea why it has to be that way, but it now works, and it is fan-friggin'tastic. Don't delay, buy it today! Sounds great, works out of the box, and you can do fully harmonized pedal steels tracks in ONE PASS without driving yourself nuts. ISW has a total winner here.

Sounds like you may have hit "Skip missing" during the batch re-save. That essentially saves the patch with the samples it can't find removed, which would account for no samples playing. If that's what happened you may have to extract the .nki from the original download to get the original back that still references the samples. Hope that helps.

Thanks - not sure I hit skip, but it's always likely (with me). I'll try the nki when I get back tonight, thanks

jdf

Mac extended journaled. Weird. I just ran First aid on the damn disk, seems to be okay.

I hate mysteries.
Very mysterious, especially since the external SSD is formatted the same as the internal SSD. Can you install other libraries via NA on that external drive??
In NA Preferences (middle icon, top right corner of NA GUI), are you showing your external drive in "Content Location"? (e.g. My default drive is an external SSD drive "Samples Four").

NA_Preferences.png

Top Bottom