What's new

Payment methods other than PayPal or credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Aversa

Lead Developer
I've recently heard that in some countries, the most popular payment methods are not credit, debit, or PayPal, but instead services I've never heard of before! Things like Alipay (well, OK, I've heard of that one), Bancontact, Giropay, iDeal, etc. So, I'm curious... for those of you who live outside the US, do you use any of these services instead of PayPal/credit card? Would you use them for your audio software purchases?

Definitely YES, and I think in the past over the years I have contacted your support sometimes asking about it :).

As my preferred resellers with my preferred payment options (any direct banking like Giropay, Sofortbanking, shareit which offers these for example) bestservice and timespace now offers these options and Impact soundworks products I have to use these but they mostly follow later and dont offer updates/upgrades so it is still not satisfying.

Might be incredible in the US but here in germany you can still live without credit card or paypal (mostly) so I dont have any of it. So really glad you ask even if I think you wont be able to offer something like giropay without something inbetween like shareit but I might be wrong with this.

Might be incredible in the US but here in germany you can still live without credit card or paypal (mostly) so I dont have any of it. So really glad you ask even if I think you wont be able to offer something like giropay without something inbetween like shareit but I might be wrong with this.

When I was in Berlin a couple of years ago the lady behind the bar told us that paying with your bank card was not as common as it is in The Netherlands. I hardly ever use cash these days and we weren't too well prepared for our trip. Maybe there is a common reason behind that.

Anyway, I have a slight preference for iDeal (which is the system used by all Dutch banks), but I don't mind using PayPal or my credit card directly.

I don't like credit cards much but have found PayPal to be useful for foreign purchases. Other than that, I'm Dutch so iDeal is my preferred method of payment.

I'm Finnish, and we also have a bunch of different options from our banks, but most of the time I'd rather just use PayPal for the ease of it.

Maestro (run by MasterCard) includes many of these debet (instead of credit) payment options.
The great thing about PayPal however is that it includes credit card options AND allows for easy transfers between individuals. The bad thing about PayPal is their convoluted and ever changing fee system.

I've seen a developer with separate stores (each with separate payment systems) for mainland China and the rest of the world.

There are bitcoin payment solutions of course. Not sure if people actually use bitcoin for payments, or if they just sit on them...

I would be happy to simply use my bank's Visa credit card. But the payment system is so convoluted and buggy, that I prefer to use PayPal, even if I can't understand why I have to use what is a second intermediary.

As far as I know, there aren't other services that one can efficiently use from Italy.

Paolo

I'm from Croatia and I'm using a prepaid Mastercard for all my online purchases and transactions. I've never had any problems when buying Kontakt libraries from numerous developers based all around the world. However, I've noticed a certain inconsistency concerning the Mastercard SecureCode system; some of the digital shops insist on using it while the others don't. A few times I've had some problems with SecureCode; either my transaction got stuck in the process or I've accidentally entered the wrong SMS code before the entry window expired. But, AFAIK, I've had none of the problems when purchasing from ISW shop, though I only have a couple of your products so far.

My wife is from China so Alipay/WeChat Pay (makes north american's Whatsapp look like a joke) extensively. It is starting to crop up at some stores here. Thanks to BestService using Alipay, she gladly dropped the cash on Cubase and Cinesamples without a fuss for my birthday present.

I think supporting more services couldnt hurt. If Impact Soundworks uses Alipay for the upcoming Tokyo Strings then it will make it very easy for my wife to get it for me for Christmas ;)

MODERATOR NOTE - It was a spambot that revived this thread on Monday, bringing it back to the top of the Latest Posts and eliciting a number of new posts. We deleted the spam post, but of course that makes it looks like it was erodred who revived it. So ... don't blame him/her! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is an old thread! For Japan, Konbini is popular. Here’s a guide to many popular global payment methods.

Paybright helps Canadians with financing. Can split the expenses between 4 months. Has caused me to spend a bit more money on my studio monitors and midi controller at the beginning.

I often use Paypal since the bank is cagey about developers in random countries. I don't even have an account - they just step in to guarantee the card transaction.

If other companies also do this then that's worth supporting.

But timely, as I have some recordings of an instrument that need editing, and that instrument is pretty much used only in non-Paypal countries. Taking credit cards without Paypal seems like the answer there. Also talked to a South African distributor, domestically they do Paypal but for the rest of Africa, taking credit cards also seem to be the main viable option.

Crypto is not yet really practical for small transactions and buying things as inexpensive as samples. When I looked into Alipay on Shopify a few months ago, the only available gateway seemed more like a full service that also wanted to do marketing in China, but Alipay could certainly be a game changer, and the launch of China's digital currency could allow an easier way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom