What's new

Panning bass guitars off center to fit better with picture?

I love that ‘wonky hard-pan stereo’ stuff. Rrrreally love it. (Do it all the time in my own mixes as well.) A bonus is that such mixes work great in mono too because most of the tracks are mono to begin with.

What I like about these extreme pannings is that you have to think about your tracks (and are forced to mix them) according to the weight a sound has. Whatever weight you put on one side has to have an equivalent on the other side. And if you judge that well, you’re on your way to a healthy mix. Just my opinion of course.

Below’s a great example: Cat Steven’s “Matthew & Son”: the entire orchestra sits in the right speaker, but it is perfectly balanced by the drums and the bass in the left speaker. (Just before the fade-out this track also has my favourite pre-Stewart-Copeland double snare flam in all of pop.)
Another good one is Aretha Franklin’s “Respect”. Or have a listen to The Small Faces’ “Itchycoo Park": perfect left-right balance. As has The Pretty Things' “Baron Saturday”.

Done well, you also get a unique sort of richness in the sound and the stereo image. As if the stereo field has become a kind of wide garden for the sounds to play in. In some cases it’s almost like listening to two records simultaneously. Love it.

_

Whatever weight you put on one side has to have an equivalent on the other side
_

I like the Cat Stevens outro one, and the Aretha one most. In my case I'm not trying to break any new ground or draw too much attention, I just want some space.
The idea of balancing sounds like you say is something I think about and I think mix engineers say it in youtube videos too.

@Haakond Makes sense, I'm more used to melody in the bass with classical. Some of examples posted @doctoremmet sound fine, but I think it might sound weird because I don't want to sound like a 60s track (for this purpose anyway).

@KEM Good point but I don't think I ever do it, even though I know it's what you are supposed to do!

@kmaster What it is the Beatles' oeuvre?

----

Thanks again for everyones input, I feel a lot more informed.

Some of examples posted @doctoremmet sound fine, but I think it might sound weird because I don't want to sound like a 60s track (for this purpose anyway).
I mainly posted them as examples of how much more creative certain stereo mixes used to be. For argument’s sake I may have picked a rather extreme example to start with ;)

Just before the fade-out this track also has my favourite pre-Stewart-Copeland double snare flam in all of pop
That is indeed a fine specimen. Out of curiosity, what would be your favourite Copeland example? My personal “close to perfection” drum recording in pop is of course also a Stewart Copeland performance (that is inevitable). [One world (not three), 1981 - which sounds as astounding to me now as it did 40 years ago].

@kmaster What it is the Beatles' oeuvre?
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.49.11 AM.png

Basically, their discography, but perhaps a little more inclusive (say, to non-official releases or recording outtakes—which, funnily enough, have been included in Anthology and many subsequent releases, thus canonizing them anyways)

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.49.11 AM.png

Basically, their discography, but perhaps a little more inclusive (say, to non-official releases or recording outtakes—which, funnily enough, have been included in Anthology and many subsequent releases, thus canonizing them anyways)
I like the bit where it says 'high school level'

Hi,

Just curious if this is a thing people do? I have drums and bass playing in sync as normal but it's a little cramped in that area once dialogue and sfx go in. Is it a normal idea to maybe pull the bass and or drums to the right a little?

My thinking is that orchestra set ups have basses WAY to the right so it should be fine? Maybe the difference I'm missing is that in those set ups the basses also have more 'reverb' so it works better. Not sure, anyway let me know your thoughts please!
What is the style of music?
By saying drums and bass you mean a regular drum set and electric bass?
Are you mixing to stereo or 5.1?
What do you mean by "cramped", too many things happen the the center or too much low end fog?

Top Bottom