What's new

Panned Sounding Audio via Interface (mk22) ?!

DarkestShadow

Hi!

I have a strange issue - recently got a new (Win 10) machine + Steinberg mk22 Audio Interface and the sound is always panned slightly to the right.
Both in the DAW and for general Playback on the computer.
My headphones are fine, tested them on 2 other devices.

I couldn't test the inbuilt audio because there is just no sound at all without interface.

Anybody has a clue what is going on and how to fix it? I have zero time for downtime and mixing with right bias is of course troubling.

Firmware and driver are updated. I haven't found a panning knob on the interface and the balance/panning in the computer is normal.

Thanks!

Soundbed

Steinberg mk22 Audio Interface and the sound is always panned slightly to the right.

Both in the DAW and for general Playback on the computer.

I have zero time for downtime and mixing with right bias is of course troubling.

That's unfortunate. My UR242 came with a software control for panning, if you are looking for a "quick" fix, try panning the control in that? (attached a picture) Mine is called DSP Mix FX.

But if it's also panned in the DAW ... I almost wonder if something else is happening, too... hmmm...

Attachments

• Yamaha Mixer.png
    Yamaha Mixer.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

There's a similar one for the UR22c but not the 22mkII ... https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur_c.html
Thank you! I already panned the master audio slightly to the left to compensate.. of course it's not a great solution since I have to do it for every project and have to remember to put it back to center when exporting.
I'm a bit careful about installing these if they are not for my interface but might be worth a try, with restore point created beforehand! :D

Soundbed

Do you have a different interface where the DAW is perfectly balanced, but with this interface the DAW is off center?

It's a strange problem.

And to "calibrate" did you play a mono sine wave on a mono track to see what the stereo out meter measured? I'm just trying to think of how I'd go about diagnosing this ... it seems such an odd problem. I'd make sure I don't have a mic plugged in picking up faint sounds from my speakers and sending them to one channel, etc.. . I'll think on it some more.

method1

Are you using balanced cables?
Tried swapping the cables around etc?
Do your monitors have independent volume controls?

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

Do you have a different interface where the DAW is perfectly balanced, but with this interface the DAW is off center?

It's a strange problem.

And to "calibrate" did you play a mono sine wave on a mono track to see what the stereo out meter measured? I'm just trying to think of how I'd go about diagnosing this ... it seems such an odd problem. I'd make sure I don't have a mic plugged in picking up faint sounds from my speakers and sending them to one channel, etc.. . I'll think on it some more.
No, I only have this interface and the inbuilt computer audio doesn't work.

It's not just the DAW, it's all the audio... inside and outside the DAW. So whether I listen to Spotify, play back a file from the library or work in Cubase - it's all off-center.

I just used a stereo enhancer to put my entire project to dead center mono/0% stereo - and the stereo out levels showed equal levels. And yet it sounded off-center.
Well, since everything is that way that DAW rules out as problem factor anyway.
Are you using balanced cables?
Tried swapping the cables around etc?
Do your monitors have independent volume controls?
I'm using headphones. And it's definitely not the headphones because I tested them on 2 different devices. I'll still have to test the audio interface on my old machine, but it's unlikely to be anything else because it is producing the audio, not the computer and the headphones I checked.

method1

No, I only have this interface and the inbuilt computer audio doesn't work.

It's not just the DAW, it's all the audio... inside and outside the DAW. So whether I listen to Spotify, play back a file from the library or work in Cubase - it's all off-center.

I just used a stereo enhancer to put my entire project to dead center mono/0% stereo - and the stereo out levels showed equal levels. And yet it sounded off-center.
Well, since everything is that way that DAW rules out as problem factor anyway.

I'm using headphones. And it's definitely not the headphones because I tested them on 2 different devices. I'll still have to test the audio interface on my old machine, but it's unlikely to be anything else because it is producing the audio, not the computer and the headphones I checked.

Ah ok I misunderstood, probably a bad connection on the headphone socket or issues with the headphone preamp, you can try blasting some compressed air into the jack just to try your luck, but if it's a new interface then return it if you can!

ryans

I had this issue as well... Just a slight pan about 5 percent. Rather frustrating.

After checking interface/headphones/amplifier in isolation, I (think) I have come to the conclusion that is a windows issue, as it occurred immediately following a windows update.

How windows is managing to mess with audio out of the external interface (in my case it's an RME)... I have no idea...

I went back to an earlier system restore point and the problem is resolved for now.

OP
DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow

I had this issue as well... Just a slight pan about 5 percent. Rather frustrating.

After checking interface/headphones/amplifier in isolation, I (think) I have come to the conclusion that is a windows issue, as it occurred immediately following a windows update.

How windows is managing to mess with audio out of the external interface (in my case it's an RME)... I have no idea...

I went back to an earlier system restore point and the problem is resolved for now.
wow, that's crazy! Actually I thought I had the same issue on my older machine for a short time without any audio interface (didn't have any) but at some point it sounded OK again.
So it's possible that Windows somehow manages to globally screw up the audio... in this case I unfortunately have no way to go back since the machine was configured just a few days ago basically.
Hope a future update fixes it if that's the issue!

Top Bottom