What's new

P-45 vs FP-10 MIDI Implementation

It's not like night and day difference between FP10 and FP30 action loudness, just a bit. When playing, both feel the same. Also FP30 features full 0-127 range for sustain (CC64) when using proper pedal. The 'newest' model is FP30X. I've read they made some minor improvements to the action, but not tried by myself. Nice feature they added is proper TRS line-outs, if you ever plan to use it as a standalone DP live.

It's not like night and day difference between FP10 and FP30 action loudness, just a bit. When playing, both feel the same. Also FP30 features full 0-127 range for sustain (CC64) when using proper pedal. The 'newest' model is FP30X. I've read they made some minor improvements to the action, but not tried by myself. Nice feature they added is proper TRS line-outs, if you ever plan to use it as a standalone DP live.
Good to know thanks! TBF, would this felt make any difference when installing it into a desk like one of users above has?

@musicisum could you please check if FP30X sends continuous CC64 values? Assuming you have dedicated pedal unit or Roland DP10 pedal. Someone on Pianoworld posted info that he has an issue with that. I tested FP30 with DP10 and it sent continuous messages, my FP10 does only 3 values like I mentioned (see pic attached). I'm curious if Roland 'broke' their new model.

P-45 vs FP-10 MIDI Implementation

It is not 'so' important, but useful for more advanced piano technique. On a real acoustic, when you press sustain pedal ~50% deep the sustain is different than when you press it 75% or 100%. Some piano libraries (just a few) try to emulate it (Pianoteq is doing it very well, since it uses modelling) but you need continuous CC64 messages to use it. Also theoretically you can utilize it for other effects (for example map CC64 to other CC and control some synth filter by pedal).

If you don't care for this half-pedaling thing, I don't think you should care about lack of this feature in FP10.

I did use the MIDI function thing to change the touch sensitivity to "light" which helped me access those higher velocities with ease.
Is this a changeable setting in the FP-10 piano or are you referring to a utility on your computer?

Asking for a… uh… friend who just moved and is a bit in doubt about where his manual is right now…

Hello, Does anyone know if the Roland FP-10 can reach normal MIDI velocities (up to 127) without setting the keyboard to light? I just bought the Casio PX-S1000 and the MIDI velocities are too low on the normal setting. Setting the keyboard to light helps reach higher velocities easier but also makes everything louder and harder to player softer, so less expressive. If the Roland FP-10 can output normal MIDI velocities that would be good. Otherwise I had the Casio CDP-S100 before and didn't have problems with MIDI velocities so I can always downgrade back to that. Thanks for your help

Can't really tell about the sound of the action vs the Yamaha (and I'm not bothered because a good weighted action will always make some noise), but I can confirm the FP10 does send velocities up to 127 to the sequencer.
Hello, Is that with the FP10 left on normal key sensitivity, or do you have to change it to 'light' sensitivity to get it to send the velocities up to 127 to the sequencer?

Hello, Is that with the FP10 left on normal key sensitivity, or do you have to change it to 'light' sensitivity to get it to send the velocities up to 127 to the sequencer?
I just tested with my FP10 on "Normal" with Pianoteq and pressing quite hard (but not crazy level hard) I was able to get to 127 velocity (the Pianoteq response curve is the default diagonal line). I do however normally have it on light for easier playing, as I am not a pianist and don't have very strong hands.

I've never touched the FP10's own velocity settings so I guess it's on normal?

It is very hard to reach 127 on normal (and it should be) but possible. I used to use 'light' for some time to train myself out of being heavy-handed, but 'normal' is more natural response for piano sounds. Still, most VIs need to have individually adjusted curve.

Hello, Does anyone know if the Roland FP-10 can reach normal MIDI velocities (up to 127) without setting the keyboard to light? I just bought the Casio PX-S1000 and the MIDI velocities are too low on the normal setting. Setting the keyboard to light helps reach higher velocities easier but also makes everything louder and harder to player softer, so less expressive. If the Roland FP-10 can output normal MIDI velocities that would be good. Otherwise I had the Casio CDP-S100 before and didn't have problems with MIDI velocities so I can always downgrade back to that. Thanks for your help
You can also switch the PXS from normal midi velocity to High Definition. Once I disabled Hig Definition,
everything was way better. I think that almost all VI/VST's can not handle the HiDef and some even
don't play anything until you use "standard" velocity. Weird but probably similar to MPE support, I guess.
Bizar thingy : HiDef works fine on Alicia's keys... but if it really accepts it, no clue at all.

totally agreed. Each piano library needs different attention. Personally I am loving the Bosendorfer Upright piano from VSL on the FP-10, heaven.

I also own the FP4, and I miss it for the slightly more keyboardy action, perfect for lazy playing - but the FP-4 really does have a realistic weighted feel, good for training those fingers.

Also the bluetooth ios app is very handy for changing velocity sensitivity or alternatively there are function keys on the keyboard itself.

Top Bottom