What's new

Owning KU11, it's convienent to buy Symphony Series?

Knomes

I own KU11 so i'd be eligible to buy all the symphony series collection at 150€ each one.
I found two reviews about Brass ans Woodwinds here:
https://www.samplelibraryreview.com...d-collection-by-soundiron-native-instruments/
https://www.samplelibraryreview.com...collection-from-soundiron-native-instruments/
Quoting from one of the reviews:
"Crossgrade for SSW Collection is only $299 which is a great deal!"(Talking about Woodwinds)
I didn't find a review on the same site about strings, but I found it in others. For example: https://www.musictech.net/2016/04/native-instruments-string-ensemble-review/.
I understand that these are not the top libraries but the price is lesser than others.
In Komplete Ultimate 11 I already have the "Essentials" version. Do you think I can just use them without taking the complete version?
Also, I could buy just 1 or 2 of them, i'm not obliged to buy them all.
I'm playing a bit with the essential versions and they seems to me to have a good sound.
Thank you all for your help!
Any advice will be appreciated!

What do you have already for Brass libraries? And btw before you even answer, I must let you know that I've fooled with the full Symphonic Series. They're very good...but there are several libraries I can think of off the top of my head you'd much rather have. So, either way I'm going to vote to stick with the essentials.

No i don't have any Symphonyc library at the moment. Just what you get with Komplete Ultimate 11

I'd take a look at other affordable options (like Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion..etc) before pulling the trigger. Also, there's "The Orchestra" coming out in a couple days - No idea how much it will be though.

I recently bought them - but I did a bit of research first. There is not a lot of love for these on VI-C, but it is indeed a very tempting offer.

I have found the strings very useful - they really layer nicely with other libraries too. It cost me £ 124 to upgrade and since I'm VAT registered too - well I didn't agonise over the decision too much. The Auto Divisi is quite fun too.

The brass is a mixed bag, it is dripping with reverb, but has a tone that is easy on the ear. I'll certainly get some use of out of this one too.

The Woodwinds - well - I only bought this very recently, initial impressions are that its the weakest of the lot - but it's often the case that libraries grow on me the more I use them.

I certainly don't regret spending money on these cross grades - well at least not yet.

East West Hollywood, Berlin, Chris Hein, Spitfire Symphonic...all great imo. The Hein gives you great bang for your buck...but, like the EW, takes some engineering know how. If you're looking more for out of the box stuff, the Spitfire libraries may interest you more.

I'd take a look at other affordable options (like Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion..etc) before pulling the trigger. Also, there's "The Orchestra" coming out in a couple days - No idea how much it will be though.

$400

Thank you all for your answers.
As far as I understand the understand the Spitfire Albion doesn't contain the single instruments or sections (like Violas for example), so it's not what i search.
East West Hollywood comes in different versions: the gold one is similar in price to the sum of Symphonic series while the Diamond one is more expensive. Is the gold one a good buy?
Berlin it's too expensive for me.
Chris Hein is more expensive for me than Symphony series and from what i see by looking here https://www.chrishein.net/web/CH-Brass_Overview.html there are no Tubas in the brass. On the other hand, the woodwinds have more instruments than Symphony Series. I like their sound, but as I said they are more expensive.
Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra is too expensive too.
However, i could wait for offers on these virtual instruments.
Of course before buying anything i'll wait the launch of that "The Orchestra" by Best Service.
Regarding the engineering know how: i'm a beginner in the field of virtual instruments and at the moment I have not much time to spend learning things about it, even if I'd like it, so I'd prefer something more out of the box, yes.

I must admit, it certainly has me intrigued. Still a couple of days before they release it, and I will be interested to see if it lives up to the marketing.

I've seen a couple of videos - one was appalling the other really caught my eye.

As a Brit I will assume that national default attitude of mild disappointment until we learn more......

When I bought HWO Diamond I ended up buying VE Pro 6 and spending a load of cash on upgrading my old Mac Pro - - the difference between Gold & Diamond is that Diamond has more mic positions.

In your shoes, if going HWO I would go for the gold version -( and add QL Spaces for reverb if you can - I absolutely love it and use it on loads of things)

I will say that when I first got Hollywood Orchestra, I did feel (and still do to some extent) that I was fighting with it somewhat. But there's no denying that HWO Gold/Diamond is the biggest bargain when its on sale - which it is a remarkably regular event.

If you are considering HWO, you would be well advised to subscribe to East West Composer cloud for a month. This way you can test it out (along with a shed load of other stuff). Then you could make sure it was for you - because you can't sell it on if you don't like it (sadly not entirely unusual with libraries).

But in terms of what you get - it's impossible to beat HWO Gold when it's on sale in the value stakes - that is, of course, as long as you realise it is not what is rather rudely regarded as a library for instant gratification.

Also checking throughout each day, but $450. , for ALL of Symphony Series is not matched anywhere else that has been searched so far. NU11 has notable other supporting content and a bit more time to sort details. Since most regular Members indicate many Libraries, and large sums invested, Symphony Series seems very low risk to get started with a 'Komplete' package. :thumbsup: :P

I bought The Symphony Brass collection yesterday. It would not replace my Cinebrass Core and Pro, but it is certainly a great addition and it has a crystal clear tone that easily fit in your mix. I think it sounds great. Well worth the money

Last edited:
In Komplete Ultimate 11 I already have the "Essentials" version. Do you think I can just use them without taking the complete version?
Also, I could buy just 1 or 2 of them, i'm not obliged to buy them all.
I'm playing a bit with the essential versions and they seems to me to have a good sound.
Thank you all for your help!
Any advice will be appreciated!

I see a lot of suggestions here and there that other libraries might suit you better, etc...But I think what is in question here is the great "value" for your money right now. While other libraries may have better reviews and more love they're currently not available for the ridiculous low offer of $149.00 each. So it would depend on if you wanted to buy a much more expensive library like say a brass library from Berlin or Spitfire where you'd pay around $600.00 plus, or $149.00 for a completely usable, functional, and in my opinion great sounding library you can "add" to your palette of colors. These are all still top notch professional libraries. If they weren't people wouldn't be talking about them so much.

I been going down this road called "decision" for several days now, reading the forums, going through every walkthrough on YouTube, seeing the pros and cons, and playing with my Essentials library to compare (I just upgraded to Komplete 11 this week as well).

I've come to the conclusion that unless after tomorrow's unveiling of "Sonuscore's The Orchestra" blows me away (I've had my eye on it for some time), I will be adding NI Symphony series to my collection. For me the price & value on this deal looks too good to pass up and might not come around again soon. Sure NI is known to have annual cross grade sales but sometimes they don't or they'll do a sale on other things instead. I'm already sold on the brass. If you look deep into the comments on this forum for the "strings" Audiobro has some great things mentioned.

I certainly know where you’re at with dropping 450 (or less) as it’s a lot of cash. I think we can all pick apart a library to death and look for pros and cons, like a car or a new house for that matter hell I’m the king of the need for validation. For me after having a play with “Essentials” these libraries attract me for functionality and beautiful ease of use of the interface and design. The strings sound very lush & beautiful.

The only thing that I'm left in question with are the woodwinds mainly because there's not a lot of info about them but I'll probably grab them anyway as I don't have a lot of them in my arsenal. A 150.00 value for a full 500.00 library is up there with Audio Plugin deals lol! Plus they all come with the solo libraries included! Good luck on your decision. I was impressive overall by "Essentials" so for me...call it a personal choice which is what really matters. I've decided I can't let this deal pass as I’m sure they’re good enough if not better.

Last edited:
In a sense there are 8 parts to an orchestra Solo Strings Brass & Woodwinds, String Brass & Woodwind Sections, Percussion and Piano. This has 5 of the 8 parts at $90 bucks a part. So the question is are there any other comparable options at roughly $90 bucks a part? Also where will you get the other 3 parts or do you already have some / all of them?

Impact had a deal where you got Percussion, Orchestral Colors and some other stuff for $100 and could upgrade to Scoring Brass for another $100. This would give you what I think most would agree is solid Solo Brass, Brass Section & Percussion along with a more limited version of String, Brass & Woodwind sections all for $200. Of course they may never do that sale again.

Beyond that sale, most higher end 'parts' seem to be $300 to 400 or $2000+ for the whole orchestra. Even on sale they tend toward $200 per 'part'. For instance the Embertone Solo Strings were $199. $90 certainly seems reasonable next to $300+ or at best $200+ on sale. While there are some questions of section size and tone, no one here is having this discussion about more entry to mid-level orchestras like GPO, VSCO2, Miro2 or older ones like Kirk Hunter or the Complete Orchestral Collection. They are certainly sampled by reputable houses and are a step up from all but the highest end orchestras.

Oh and Sonuscore Orchestra clearly states it is ensemble so no solo instruments.

In a sense there are 8 parts to an orchestra Solo Strings Brass & Woodwinds, String Brass & Woodwind Sections, Percussion and Piano. This has 5 of the 8 parts at $90 bucks a part. So the question is are there any other comparable options at roughly $90 bucks a part? Also where will you get the other 3 parts or do you already have some / all of them?

Impact had a deal where you got Percussion, Orchestral Colors and some other stuff for $100 and could upgrade to Scoring Brass for another $100. This would give you what I think most would agree is solid Solo Brass, Brass Section & Percussion along with a more limited version of String, Brass & Woodwind sections all for $200. Of course they may never do that sale again.

Beyond that sale, most higher end 'parts' seem to be $300 to 400 or $2000+ for the whole orchestra. Even on sale they tend toward $200 per 'part'. For instance the Embertone Solo Strings were $199. $90 certainly seems reasonable next to $300+ or at best $200+ on sale. While there are some questions of section size and tone, no one here is having this discussion about more entry to mid-level orchestras like GPO, VSCO2, Miro2 or older ones like Kirk Hunter or the Complete Orchestral Collection. They are certainly sampled by reputable houses and are a step up from all but the highest end orchestras.

Oh and Sonuscore Orchestra clearly states it is ensemble so no solo instruments.

Discussed this in bits & pieces (other Threads), BUT, still not really solid on what I NOW have with KH Diamond Symphony Orchestra AND is NI Symphony Series and 'attractive' complement ?? If NI SS is much overlap, given surely many differences, how in the heck does one sort this in terms of real added value ??

Likely NOT B/W answers, yet important to somehow get a decent sense before dropping another $450.

Thanks everyone for the useful answers.

I see a lot of suggestions here and there that other libraries might suit you better, etc...But I think what is in question here is the great "value" for your money right now. While other libraries may have better reviews and more love they're currently not available for the ridiculous low offer of $149.00 each. So it would depend on if you wanted to buy a much more expensive library like say a brass library from Berlin or Spitfire where you'd pay around $600.00 plus, or $149.00 for a completely usable, functional, and in my opinion great sounding library you can "add" to your palette of colors. These are all still top notch professional libraries. If they weren't people wouldn't be talking about them so much.

I been going down this road called "decision" for several days now, reading the forums, going through every walkthrough on YouTube, seeing the pros and cons, and playing with my Essentials library to compare (I just upgraded to Komplete 11 this week as well).

I've come to the conclusion that unless after tomorrow's unveiling of "Sonuscore's The Orchestra" blows me away (I've had my eye on it for some time), I will be adding NI Symphony series to my collection. For me the price & value on this deal looks too good to pass up and might not come around again soon. Sure NI is known to have annual cross grade sales but sometimes they don't or they'll do a sale on other things instead. I'm already sold on the brass. If you look deep into the comments on this forum for the "strings" Audiobro has some great things mentioned.

I certainly know where you’re at with dropping 450 (or less) as it’s a lot of cash. I think we can all pick apart a library to death and look for pros and cons, like a car or a new house for that matter hell I’m the king of the need for validation. For me after having a play with “Essentials” these libraries attract me for functionality and beautiful ease of use of the interface and design. The strings sound very lush & beautiful.

The only thing that I'm left in question with are the woodwinds mainly because there's not a lot of info about them but I'll probably grab them anyway as I don't have a lot of them in my arsenal. A 150.00 value for a full 500.00 library is up there with Audio Plugin deals lol! Plus they all come with the solo libraries included! Good luck on your decision. I was impressive overall by "Essentials" so for me...call it a personal choice which is what really matters. I've decided I can't let this deal pass as I’m sure they’re good enough if not better.

Yes, you centered the point! The value!
Thanks for your answer, it was useful.

With Komplete Ultimate I already have more than a piano, and i bought the Embertone solo strings when they were discounted at AudioPlugins. I think there are also percussions spreaded among various libraries of Komplete Ultimate (but i can search for a percussions later).
Also, in KU there the basic versions of VSL instruments which have just some articulations.
However, when they asked me if I had already had something for Orchestra i forgot to say that I already have Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO), pheraps because at the moment i only used it to make sound better my scores on Finale, so I didn't thought at it.
Of course there would still be missing instruments (of high quality) like Harp and Celesta. But as I said quoting the other message, i'm interested in the value of this offer.
Thanks for the advice on "The Orchestra".

I still have 10 days to decide.
Thank you all very much!

Thanks everyone for the useful answers.

Yes, you centered the point! The value!
Thanks for your answer, it was useful.

With Komplete Ultimate I already have more than a piano, and i bought the Embertone solo strings when they were discounted at AudioPlugins. I think there are also percussions spreaded among various libraries of Komplete Ultimate (but i can search for a percussions later).
Also, in KU there the basic versions of VSL instruments which have just some articulations.
However, when they asked me if I had already had something for Orchestra i forgot to say that I already have Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO), pheraps because at the moment i only used it to make sound better my scores on Finale, so I didn't thought at it.
Of course there would still be missing instruments (of high quality) like Harp and Celesta. But as I said quoting the other message, i'm interested in the value of this offer.
Thanks for the advice on "The Orchestra".

I still have 10 days to decide.
Thank you all very much!

Some good thoughts you guys :) Also remember as percussion goes with Komplete Ultimate you get Action Strikes and Damage. That truly covers a lot of ground.

As far as going for "bits & pieces" of libraries here and there I personally would much rather have this 1 all together library "Series" crossgrade offering. I think it's still truly the best offer out there. The interface and ease of use is top notch and if you know and learn just one you'll know how to use the others. 2 of the libraries are recorded in the same room I believe. Not to say you shouldn't have other bits & pieces and other libraries but as far as the value and it being all together it looks and sounds pretty solid.

Glad we still have a little more time to decide, and yes, I'm not pulling the trigger till I see "Sonuscore The Orchestra" tomorrow and the price. I hope the price is right I'm hearing it's 399.00 euro (that could change right lol!)...and it has Choirs! I can't seem to get enough of them :--)

At the bottom of this page is a comparison of many woodwinds including the Symphony Series woodwinds and the Kirk Hunter woodwinds.
https://vi-control.net/community/th...ndiron-symphony-series-woodwinds.53962/page-4

I was messing about listening to a bit of Finlandia using several different flutes. As best I can tell the Hunter flute section is 2 while the SS flute section is 6 so definitely a big difference. I've always heard / assumed that the woodwinds were more of an addon in Hunter and the SS flutes sound better to me. The flute sections seem very different to me and having both would certainly give you more options. I thought the SS flute section had a pleasant natural sound though I backed way off the included reverb. In fast staccato sections I thought it was a bit too wet even with the reverb turned down a lot. Oh note I'm just using the Essentials that comes with KU11. I don't own the full version. I assume the tone is the same and they share the same samples.

Top Bottom