What's new

Ownership of the staffpad company

sundrowned

Probably not that interesting but I looked up the company documents for staffpad and it looks like it was sold in February either to musescore or ultimate guitar the parent company of musescore.

Documents here

Probably not that interesting but I looked up the company documents for staffpad and it looks like it was sold in February either to musescore or ultimate guitar the parent company of musescore.

Documents here
?? !! What will this mean for roadmap of the product?

Documents here
Wow, that is very interesting, could we see musescore combined with Staffpad?!

A fellow StaffPadder called my attention to this a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, David William Hearn and Matthew Tesch will continue in their previous roles, but the future is most certainly not clear. I wondered about a combination of StaffPad and Musescore, but it doesn't make very much sense for a company to buy a product to incorporate it into a free one. The sale was unannounced, so they clearly have no intention of broadcasting their plans.

A fellow StaffPadder called my attention to this a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, David William Hearn and Matthew Tesch will continue in their previous roles, but the future is most certainly not clear. I wondered about a combination of StaffPad and Musescore, but it doesn't make very much sense for a company to buy a product to incorporate it into a free one. The sale was unannounced, so they clearly have no intention of broadcasting their plans.

Doesn't musescore make money through their subscriptions to musescore.com? Which probably has a much bigger customer base than staffpad. And recurring income.

I know better playback is something musescore is aiming for.

Seems like it would make some sense.

Musescore also lacks a iOS version, it only has a viewer currently. That doesn't mean combining the 2, but they can now create a iOS version of Musescore more quickly. Which could then have either premium upgrades to improve music quality and/or they are incorporated into the subscription model.

Just thinking this through. They could basically rebrand Staffpad as Musescore. The keep the Staffpad (rebranded Musescore) viewer free but incorporate the Musescore database of scores and then charge for the editing facility (I know this is free and open source on the desktop versions, but the code the iOS version would be based off wouldn't be) and the sample libraries. Or more likely these are bundled into a subscription.

Interesting thoughts here. I downloaded Musescore just to see what it was all about. Simple but very functional. Looks like about 1998. If StaffPad goes there, so will I.

Can't decide if I have to scramble now to buy the Berlin libraries for Staffpad or if it will just be throwing money out the window.

Can't decide if I have to scramble now to buy the Berlin libraries for Staffpad or if it will just be throwing money out the window.
I thought to get the Cinesamples libraries during the 50% sale. Now I am confused...
Strange that they didn't announce anything. They used to announce at least the last updates on the software on the Staffpad blog, but nothing there since December of last year.

I thought to get the Cinesamples libraries during the 50% sale. Now I am confused...
Strange that they didn't announce anything. They used to announce at least the last updates on the software on the Staffpad blog, but nothing there since December of last year.
These are the same thoughts I am having. I can easily see how staffpad could fit into a musescore based subscription service or both desktop and ipad

If you have paid money for StaffPad and its in-app purchases, only Apple can take that away. So even if the new owners decide to discontinue the product (highly unlikely), you still have your Apple purchases. You might not get any future updates that make the app continue to work with the latest iOS. If this happened, I would just never again update my iPad. (I have no idea how things work on the Microsoft side.)

But there is no reason that the new owners would suddenly decide to stop making money off of the existing software. In no reasonable world would the current state of StaffPad be in jeopardy. And for my part, if it never received another update, I would continue to use it.

What is in question is how much the future vision of StaffPad will continue to be dictated by DWH. It is disconcerting that the sale of the app was not announced and a statement issued reassuring users of the future of the product. They had to know this would come out, and yet they chose to remain silent. This is, at best, a poor business decision. At worst, it is a nefarious plot by DAW manufactures to undermine the future of composers who actually read music.

If you have paid money for StaffPad and its in-app purchases, only Apple can take that away. So even if the new owners decide to discontinue the product (highly unlikely), you still have your Apple purchases. You might not get any future updates that make the app continue to work with the latest iOS. If this happened, I would just never again update my iPad. (I have no idea how things work on the Microsoft side.)

But there is no reason that the new owners would suddenly decide to stop making money off of the existing software. In no reasonable world would the current state of StaffPad be in jeopardy. And for my part, if it never received another update, I would continue to use it.

What is in question is how much the future vision of StaffPad will continue to be dictated by DWH. It is disconcerting that the sale of the app was not announced and a statement issued reassuring users of the future of the product. They had to know this would come out, and yet they chose to remain silent. This is, at best, a poor business decision. At worst, it is a nefarious plot by DAW manufactures to undermine the future of composers who actually read music.
I think that MuseScore still has its priorities on written music. but of course, it is stressful to not know the future of a product many of us have embraced wholeheartedly. I cannot speak for David, aside from referencing the reassurance from him when I brought this to his attention. I hope development continues in an exciting direction. that is what I'm focussing on.

Top Bottom