What's new

Outra vez - to Joao

Rob

stale member
trying my hand on dimension strings se... I see the potential, particularly if I had the complete library. But even the se edition has so many possibilities that it will take months to make it do what I want. So here's a first try with just legatos, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. The idea was to mimick the sound of the strings of the 60s in those bossa nova recordings, and thus the respectful dedication to the late Joao Gilberto. Took advantage of a free afternoon, not easy to find lately...

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/outravez-dimstrgs-mp3.21126/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• OutraVez-dimStrgs.mp3
    6.2 MB · Views: 224
Love the voicings! They do remind me of the '60s and current string arrangements that accompany and compliment bossa nova/samba genre.
Is this the synchronized DS?

Love the voicings! They do remind me of the '60s and current string arrangements that accompany and compliment bossa nova/samba genre.
Is this the synchronized DS?
thank you artomatic! That's exactly the vibe I was aiming for...
not the synchronized, this is the V.I. version, just because I know vi pro better...

thank you artomatic! That's exactly the vibe I was aiming for...
not the synchronized, this is the V.I. version, just because I know vi pro better...
Wow i really like the sound. Could you tell us how did you eq it? Reverb? I would love to reproduce the sound.

Wow i really like the sound. Could you tell us how did you eq it? Reverb? I would love to reproduce the sound.
Thanks mcovarrubiasi, no eq, but I put all sections in Virtual Sound Stage and did the panning/mixing there. Reverb is Verberate2, a hall, now I can't remember which one, about 3,5 sec
Oh, and as always I use an akai usb ewi... actually I think I might be the father of the breath controller community, as nobody used it (apart for wind instruments) back in the early days at Northernsound, and I've done a lot to spread this technique.

Last edited:
Nice ! For some reason I was having visions of Doris Day while listening.
yeah, that block chords strings motion was sort of a signature sound of that era... I should have used portamentos

Fantastic writing Rob. Very cool! I would have wished for a slightly shorter reverb tail, but that's just personal preference. And not being very familiar with Bossa Nova from the sixties, maybe that's what they used back then.
In your hands Dimension Strings sound fabulous.

Fantastic writing Rob. Very cool! I would have wished for a slightly shorter reverb tail, but that's just personal preference. And not being very familiar with Bossa Nova from the sixties, maybe that's what they used back then.
In your hands Dimension Strings sound fabulous.
the long reverb tail was a stylistic choice, it's actually a bit too much though :)
thank you muk much appreciated!

Reactions: muk
Yeah, that's the string sound and style like in the "Stan Getz and Strings" recordings! They just may have used more expressive vibrato. I don't know the DS SE sample content but it might be worth add a layer of more vibrato. Beautiful chords and voicings!

Yeah, that's the string sound and style like in the "Stan Getz and Strings" recordings! They just may have used more expressive vibrato. I don't know the DS SE sample content but it might be worth add a layer of more vibrato. Beautiful chords and voicings!
no "molto espressivo" samples in the SE version unfortunately... but I might try and raise the velocities globally, in order to have mf/f samples come into play. If the sound doesn't get too aggressive...
thank you Saxer!

Afflatus Strings, specifically the Scene d'Amour patches come to mind.
Thanks again for posting this, Rob!

Reactions: Rob
Really love it! What a beautiful piece. It reminds me of the strings in Histoire de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg.

trying my hand on dimension strings se... I see the potential, particularly if I had the complete library. But even the se edition has so many possibilities that it will take months to make it do what I want. So here's a first try with just legatos, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. The idea was to mimick the sound of the strings of the 60s in those bossa nova recordings, and thus the respectful dedication to the late Joao Gilberto. Took advantage of a free afternoon, not easy to find lately...

[AUDIOPLUS=[URL]https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/outravez-dimstrgs-mp3.21126/][/AUDIOPLUS[/URL]]
Shades of Ogerman, impressive stuff

Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom