What's new

OUT NOW — Originals Firewood Piano

To quote some guy that plays guitar, "It's in the way that you use it."

Something we can all remind ourselves of when the dreaded GAS bug strikes.

i grew up playing an old upright. I feel no nostalgia for it.
We were let loose on an old (mostly out of tune!) piano at my grandmas house when I was growing up... I get the opposite effect, I´m drawn to uprights!

I´ve been chasing THAT sound from my childhood for years.

If only I had been into sampling when I was 7 years old ! :laugh:

We were let loose on an old (mostly out of tune!) piano at my grandmas house when I was growing up... I get the opposite effect, I´m drawn to uprights!

I´ve been chasing THAT sound from my childhood for years.

If only I had been into sampling when I was 7 years old ! :laugh:

Once I went to Boston Conservatory and played a 7' Steinway, I said to myself, "So THAT'S what a piano is supposed to feel and sound like.

Nope, no nostalgia for crappy pianos here.

Once I went to Boston Conservatory and played a 7' Steinway, I said to myself, "So THAT'S what a piano is supposed to feel and sound like.

Yes totally get your point :thumbsup:

I think pianos and strings are the most personable sounds...each person hears things very different and strives for a certain sound they find the most pleasing.

I'm sure that 7' Steinway was fabulous. But ! That old Mrs Mills upright in Lady Madonna helped make the song. For example.

I'm wondering now if we'll see Spitfire have a go at sampling that !

EDIT: actually, there is no way on earth @christianhenson would leave the Abbey Road project without sampling at least one piano! :laugh:

Last edited:
I wish you could get recordings of stuff like Liszt’s sonata in b minor as played on character uprights. And not just midi.

Not related to this piano specifically, but as a guitar player I can tell you that some of the most iconic electric guitar recordings ever made were played thru really bottom of the barrel amps... something most ppl and even guitar players are not aware of.

The vibe of the instrument should suits the music:)

Not related to this piano specifically, but as a guitar player I can tell you that some of the most iconic electric guitar recordings ever made were played thru really bottom of the barrel amps... something most ppl and even guitar players are not aware of.

The vibe of the instrument should suits the music:)

But not bottom of the barrel guitars: Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Lukather, Bloomfield, Knopfler, and on and on, any of them playing the guitar equivalent of a spinet?

Look, I am not the sample library police. If you do have warm fuzzy feelings for mediocre quality pianos because you like the vibe, go for it. I simply don’t.

Last edited:
Don't forget Brian May's Red Special, built from an old mantlepiece with worm holes in it. That's a bit of an iconic sound but definitely mediocre quality yeah. Too bad for him.

I'm fascinated by all types of pianos, from the humble "mediocre" upright to the premium concert grands. For me it's finding the right character and tone for each song/composition, so all kinds are welcome. I can imagine this new Spitfire Firewood piano would be the perfect vibe for some uses - from the demos I've heard it has real soul and character. I'd imagine if you gave Tom Waits the choice of using the spinet piano sampled for this new release or a new Steinway Concert Grand, he'd take the beat up spinet any day.

Well EVH - rest his soul - played on a parts guitar he made from seconds of a parts guitar maker, that even for them they were rejects :grin:

Hendrix - his soul probably will never rest - got his first stratocaster in 1966 just before moving to England. Before that, as a pro player (played for Solomon Burke, Isley Brothers and others, had bands with Billy Cox) he played his Supro and later a Danelectro, Ibanez, and Epiphone.
His first REAL good guitar was a Jazzmaster he got at late 1964.

That's just from the top of my head lol

Look, I am not the sample library police. If you do have warm fuzzy feelings for mediocre quality pianos because you like the vibe, go for it. I simply don’t.

My comment has nothing to do with samples or fuzzy feelings... for that I think a spritz works better.
I was just playing the lawyer of crappy instruments lol

I’ve just bought it. I’m glad I did. I like Originals, so I can imagine lots of use for this one too.

Well sampled and well mixed “crappy” piano is something better for me than 7’ Steinway somewhere in Boston Conservatory regarding were I live ha ha.

And yes: I have access to grand Stainway, Yamaha and Fazioli. Really. I know how bassoon sounds from 3’ distance, English corn, French horn, all the strings woods and brass etc etc as well.
And so far no problems with all this digital vi stuff.
ymmv

cheers

Top Bottom