What's new

Our Greatest Instrument Yet. Announcing PercX! (Standalone/VST/AU/AAX)

...never mind. I checked out the video posted earlier in the thread by Matt Creamer (great video btw!) and he uses PercX as just a percussion instrument a bunch. Based on the sounds in the video, however, I get the impression that PercX is mainly about the pattern creation capabilities and not about realistic sounding performances. Even so, I'm going to get it. The value, especially at the intro price, is insane.

Plus, my purchasing PercX virtually guarantees Spectrasonics will announce the update to RMX at NAMM :)

()

Last edited:
How does PercX compare to Action Strikes / Stylus RMX? Similar concept? How are the recordings compared to say LAMP / Strikeforce?

How does PercX compare to Action Strikes / Stylus RMX? Similar concept? How are the recordings compared to say LAMP / Strikeforce?
I could be wrong, but I believe Action Strikes is a vaguely similar approach to PercX in that it's MIDI performance loop based (as opposed to sliced up, or time stretched samples), but the sounds in AS don't impress me much. RMX is something else entirely and has very little ethnic, cinematic, epic percussion (3rd party libraries are out there). The loops are all sliced performances in RMX. No time stretching even. I'm not familiar with LAMP or Strikeforce.

Another question about PercX: Can you drag the MIDI files of the patterns into your DAW, like you can in RMX etc?

Last edited:
You can save the midi from the GUI, but I haven't been able to find a way to do it drag and drop style from the GUI to the DAW. Maybe there is a way to do it, but I haven't found it just at a glance. Would be helpful though, for sure.

Perhaps the Pre-Roll information causes some issues for simple drag and drop that require a specific midi file be saved?

Hi and happy new year !

I recently purchased Percx Pro and I have the following error message when downloading the kits: 1577911387452.png

It seems to download correctly but the extraction fails for almost all kits. I am on Windows 10. I have enough space on my SDD.
I sent an email to the support but did not have any answer yet. If anybody had the same issue, I would really like to know how to fix this because it is not usable for the moment :( Thanks

I actually purchased PercX as a replacement for Action Strikes and see it as a similar beast. I've heard the criticism of fewer round robins on some instruments but AS "machine guns" much worse, imho. PercX is more organic and easier to get a bigger variety of sounds in my initial impression. I've been working on material that doesn't call for that sort of thing recently so i haven't had the time to get my hands as dirty with it as I'd like yet.

Hi, is there no more support coming in from Auddict on this thread regarding the numerous questions asked here from others? I haven't seen anymore comments from them here in a while.

@Auddict Hi Auddict, are there any plans to update several of the instruments to include more round robins? I am interested in this library, but as Cory Pelizarri pointed out in a walk through video of PercX, several instruments specifically drums and cymbols when played sparsely have only 1-3 round robins (machine gun effect). Same goes for the dynamic layers for many of them. Feel free to clarify or correct me if anything I mentioned or from Cory's video is inaccurate. Look to hear from you on this. Thank you.

Hi, is there no more support coming in from Auddict on this thread regarding the numerous questions asked here from others? I haven't seen anymore comments from them here in a while.
I sent an email to the support the 30th of december and did not get any response :(

I sent an email to the support the 30th of december and did not get any response :(
Maybe they are on break. I know several developers have been on break the for the past week or so and support is probably minimal. Audiobro is out at the moment although they are checking emails when they can and Sonokinetic just returned from break so their support is up and running again. You might have to wait a week or two depending. It would be nice if they had an automated email response to let you know they will be out until a certain date.

Maybe they are on break. I know several developers have been on break the for the past week or so and support is probably minimal. Audiobro is out at the moment although they are checking emails when they can and Sonokinetic just returned from break so their support is up and running again. You might have to wait a week or two depending. It would be nice if they had an automated email response to let you know they will be out until a certain date.
Yes, the only email I received was telling me they would get back to me within 24 business hours but no news from them at all : you are right, they should be on a break. Anyway, I solved one of my issues thanks to this forum and the other issue is not blocking.

As long as its not as long as with Hexeract.....but I hope they learned out of it as they promised to do...still observing this and waiting for final sales day....one time burned....

As long as its not as long as with Hexeract.....but I hope they learned out of it as they promised to do...still observing this and waiting for final sales day....one time burned....

Yup, I am interested in this library but until we hear back regarding all the numerous questions here asked, issues with lack of round robins, and if there will be continuous support for this library with fixes and updates coming, I will be holding off from purchasing as well. I've come to realize that the customer support is more important than ever. So many technical issues can go wrong and sometimes other software updates can interfere and cause further problems. And as this is a vst, and not a kontakt library. Thanks.

For me, it’s a perfectly fine and working library, compared to Herexact which was a beta release based on customers comments. I think they’ve learned.

Back!
If they are based in Europe they usually go on a looooong break. I wonder what that is like XD
Haha! we are back. Where are you based? I hear the USA have absolutely huge summer holidays, though could be wrong ;)

Anyway down to business...

Sorry if this is an obvious question. Can I use PerX as a simple MIDI percussion kit instrument? All the workstation-like, looping capabilities look amazing, but often I just need a simple pattern that would be much easier to just do in my DAW. ...or is the point of PercX mainly the pattern creation capabilities? Thx!

Yes absolutely, every instrument can be switched to total multi-sample mode. Also, contrary to certain misinformed video(s), there are actually more round robins and dynamic layers than just what are used in the default loops, these are all nice and filled up :) So yes - if you're wondering if the instruments can be used just as well in normal MIDI instrument mode, the answer is absolutely yes, with the only exception of a few SFX things which are not suitable in this mode. This would be whooshes, some revs, things which aren't really "round robin" material, if that makes sense. Or SFX stuff which is created or produced and does not actually have different dynamics

I get the impression that PercX is mainly about the pattern creation capabilities and not about realistic sounding performances.
()

Gotta stop you there ;) PercX is totally about creating realistic sounding performances, and absolutely can do! Happy to give tips if anyone is wondering about any specifics

I could be wrong, but I believe Action Strikes is a vaguely similar approach to PercX in that it's MIDI performance loop based (as opposed to sliced up, or time stretched samples), but the sounds in AS don't impress me much. RMX is something else entirely and has very little ethnic, cinematic, epic percussion (3rd party libraries are out there). The loops are all sliced performances in RMX. No time stretching even. I'm not familiar with LAMP or Strikeforce.

Another question about PercX: Can you drag the MIDI files of the patterns into your DAW, like you can in RMX etc?
Unfortunately you cannot do this yet, although it is heavily requested so all I can say at this stage is that it is under discussion. We will see what we can do

Sound quality wise - I have to stress that these instruments (not including hybrid/SFX of course in this case) are really carefully and deeply sampled, so you can expect to create very realistic percussion performances. Don't be mislead into thinking this side of things was neglected just because sequencing and pattern creation tools are included :) The two different performance/composing mindsets work equally well, and we wanted people to have a choice

@Auddict Hi Auddict, are there any plans to update several of the instruments to include more round robins? I am interested in this library, but as Cory Pelizarri pointed out in a walk through video of PercX, several instruments specifically drums and cymbols when played sparsely have only 1-3 round robins (machine gun effect). Same goes for the dynamic layers for many of them. Feel free to clarify or correct me if anything I mentioned or from Cory's video is inaccurate. Look to hear from you on this. Thank you.
This video is a little misinformed, although perhaps we could have elaborated on this so it was clearer. The dynamic layers and RR's are not limited to those included in the default performance. So if a default pattern uses only a loud layer with 4RRs (for arguments sake), you can still expect, if the drum in real life permits, 7x rr variations, and many dynamic layers, for example. The numbers may vary slightly from instrument to instrument (e.g. try getting seven dynamics out of a triangle hehe) but yes, as soon as you go to manual mode, you automatically have access to all dynamics, and cycle through all RR's

Back!

Haha! we are back. Where are you based? I hear the USA have absolutely huge summer holidays, though could be wrong ;)

I'm in Canada, but I am also a struggling freelance composer so none of the protections for vacation apply for me anyway, heh. I think they mandate 2 weeks of paid vacation per year if you are employed full time. It's been a while since I was employed though, so, I could be wrong.

Top Bottom