What's new

OT Berlin Orchestra Inspire 1 - is the timpani a good standalone purchase?

Tremendouz

Hi! I'm looking for a budget timpani to complement the other percussion I have and I noticed you can buy the single instruments from some Orchestral Tools libraries separately. I'm just wondering if the timpani for €28 + VAT is a decent purchase (with that price I'm expecting at least some dynamic layers and round robins) or if it's too barebones. I don't need anything too fancy but I'd like the transition from quiet to loud be decently smooth.

Alternatively, Versilian Studios seems to have a pretty neat timpani for $15 but it lacks rolls. If anyone has that, are the RR and dynamic layers enough to build convincing manual crescendo rolls?

For reference I'm currently using the timpani from Sonuscore The Orchestra and I find it quite lackluster. I also have 8dio Majestica but the timpani is really wet, making it lack punch.

Thanks in advance!

It has 3 dynamic layers (p, mf, and ff) and 5 round robins. And comes with a separate rolls patch. It also has a true damping feature which i guess is a separate release sample.

It's quite we though. :)

It has 3 dynamic layers (p, mf, and ff) and 5 round robins. And comes with a separate rolls patch! It also has a true damping feature which i guess is a separate release sample. :)
Are the rolls modwheel controllable? I want to be able to crossfade from silent to loud at my own pace.

^That sounds great, thank you! I think I'll need to test with their freebie if the SINE player is usable, I've heard enough horror stories about it that I'm kinda sceptical.

you can just buy the timpani(full) that has like 7 dynamic layers, and I think 24 round Robin's?

paired with many mallet choices and rolls

Its only percussion OT sold separately before SINE.

to me, the timpani is an end game for all recorded timps, so why pay 1/3 the price and have to rebuy down the line

you can just buy the timpani(full) that has like 7 dynamic layers, and I think 24 round Robin's?

paired with many mallet choices and rolls

Its only percussion OT sold separately before SINE.

to me, the timpani is an end game for all recorded timps, so why pay 1/3 the price and have to rebuy down the line
Unfortunately 150€ (incl. VAT) for just a timpani is way above my budget and also overkill for my needs. With that price or a bit more I could buy a dedicated percussion library such as the orchestral percussion from Strezov, or ISW Rhapsody with APD reward points.

I wish cineperc libraries were sold separately since I don't need most of the stuff in it.

VSL just released Big Bang percussion libraries.

That seems like a wonderful deal but VSL is out of question to me because I don't buy anything that requires a dongle out of principle.

VSL just released Big Bang percussion libraries.

no idea what the RR or dynamic layers are, but vs the inspire one, this seems like a much better deal, since you get multiple pre-mixed mics.

I'm actually eyeing True Strike and Strezov X3M orchestral percussion at the moment, I thought it'd make sense to improve my other percussion as well rather than just the timpani so I can get more consistency instead of trying to mix and match several mediocre percussion instruments I already have.

economic purchases are only saving you money if you don't end up buying an upgrade.

don't buy twice. That's why I suggested the full timpani instead of wasting money on stepping stones
I was referring to percussion from the all-in-one stuff I already have, not dedicated percussion libraries.

I'm thinking my budget would be €20-40 for just the timpani, or €150-170 for a "full" percussion library. I have no doubt the timpani from let's say Strezov X3M would be plenty good enough for a hobbyist like me. I just need a workhorse that I can drop into my template.

Top Bottom