OSMOSE by Expressive-E - MPE keyboard

bvaughn0402

I REALLY want to like this. So, why do all the videos leave me a little numb?

All the sounds used in demonstration sound so weak to me (well some of the synth sounds are cool ... but like the one video of the guy playing a flute patch, and to me it sounds nothing remotely like an actual flute part).

I would love to hear an example using something like a SWAM instrument ... like violin ... flute ... or sax.

Or, would be interesting to hear a traditional orchestral source ... like OT or Spitfire violin section playing multiple CCs at once.

Any demos of that out there?

It just sounds like a bunch of Casio keyboard sounds, and not hearing the "rich" sounds that make me feel I need this. Or are all the demos playing sounds from the keyboard? Maybe that is where I'm getting caught up.

I would be more interested in how this sounds with other external sound sets.

Last edited:

cpaf

I REALLY want to like this. So, why do all the videos leave me a little numb?

All the sounds used in demonstration sound so weak to me (well some of the synth sounds are cool ... but like the one video of the guy playing a flute patch, and to me it sounds nothing remotely like an actual flute part).

I would love to hear an example using something like a SWAM instrument ... like violin ... flute ... or sax.

Or, would be interesting to hear a traditional orchestral source ... like OT or Spitfire violin section playing multiple CCs at once.

Any demos of that out there?

It just sounds like a bunch of Casio keyboard sounds, and not hearing the "rich" sounds that make me feel I need this. Or are all the demos playing sounds from the keyboard? Maybe that is where I'm getting caught up.

I would be more interested in how this sounds with other external sound sets.
Not yet really. The only videos are from cuckoo, Engadget and Expressive E themselves. But more will come next week with other musicians. Do be sure to watch all the artist ones (as they actually play and not just demo like the more simple ones from expressive e). But it is mostly with the eaganmatrix for now.

But really it is not that hard to imagine playing a Spitfire lib with the vibrato and pitchbend set up to work per note by sending cc's having articulation switching on the aftertouch and modulation on the continous strike.

Damn i should preorder one...

bvaughn0402

Thanks!

And I really CAN imagine it ... but I need a $1k board like a hole in the head ... if I just saw something like that, it would definitely tip me over!

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Finally a keyboard controller that I desperately want rather than just always thinking “meh. Bet it’s horrible”

cpaf

Gonna preorder one - 40% off and I REALLY like what i hear of the synth engine in the demos! (havent given the haken much attention til now because of the price of the big continuum). Also i am really excited to try it with my modular synth stuff!

rheudabaga

Can this puppy do pitch-bends over many keys, ribbon controller-style like the Seaboard? I know there's an actually pitch bend controller, but wondering if you can do it from the keys.

bvaughn0402

Still hoping for more videos that demonstrate regular usage, or perhaps external sound control usage.

I asked the Audio Modeling team if they had tried it ... and they had not. They were going to ask Jordan Rudess to do some tests and comparisons with the Seaboard. But who knows if and when that might happen.

Welldone

Can this puppy do pitch-bends over many keys, ribbon controller-style like the Seaboard? I know there's an actually pitch bend controller, but wondering if you can do it from the keys.
Unfortunately not, as stated in their FAQ:

Gliding one sustained note up or down, passing other keys, is not possible on the Augmented Keyboard Action of Osmose.

SvenE

I preordered the Osmose after watching all of the promo videos. I have really high hopes for the keyboard and the soundengine alone blew me away. This is exactly what I was looking for and I hope that the Osmose will also change the way I work with Orchestral Libraries. I prefer playing in notes compared to Midi programming and this might be a game changer for me. Lets see. So far I really like what I hear/see. I just would like to see videos of people playing with external sound sources. I assume that the Slate and Ash libraries would be a perfect match.

slateandash

Developer
I preordered the Osmose after watching all of the promo videos. I have really high hopes for the keyboard and the soundengine alone blew me away. This is exactly what I was looking for and I hope that the Osmose will also change the way I work with Orchestral Libraries. I prefer playing in notes compared to Midi programming and this might be a game changer for me. Lets see. So far I really like what I hear/see. I just would like to see videos of people playing with external sound sources. I assume that the Slate and Ash libraries would be a perfect match.
Osmose looks really cool would be interested to hear how you get on with it and Auras. The Touche is a really nicely made bit of kit, they absolutely nailed the feel and touch so hopefully the same for the Osmose.

bvaughn0402

I went ahead and put down a deposit. I like my Roli, but I think I would like the restrictions of actual keys. Just hoping that it does well with other soundsets. I'm not too crazy with the sounds I heard.

If anyone is interested, I saw a message saying they are running out of preorders. So if you want one, better hop on soon.

jonnybutter

It's sold out now :blush: I wonder if it means we have to wait for another run, or that it's just sold out in terms of the discount.

Nathanael Iversen

I put my order in a week ago, and am quite interested in this one. I had one of the first Roli Seaboard Grands. It was neat at first - I could definitely play more expressive lines on it than on even my VAX77 (which has Poly-AT). But ultimately, I never gelled with it and sold it on. I could not make peace with the semi-tone behavior. I have a Seaboard Block now that I rarely play. The thing is that it is not enough like a piano keyboard to transfer any technique. It seems to be good only for lines - and slower expressive ones at that. I ended up in the place of realizing that if it wasn't black and whites, I'd prefer to go all the way to a Continuum, as it is clearly as expressive as a classical instrument. It also has their learning curve. So I never bought one.

Now, this comes out and it is regular keys WITH MPE! This is interesting, and immediately useful. I'm sure it will be more expressive than anything I own, and that is enough. It also has MIDI to use with other things. The intro price was quite reasonable. And I would rather have the Eagen matrix than the new Ashun poly-AT keyboard. The Eagen matrix is capable of exeptionally good sounds - at least in the Continuum videos.

slateandash

Developer
I put my order in a week ago, and am quite interested in this one. I had one of the first Roli Seaboard Grands. It was neat at first - I could definitely play more expressive lines on it than on even my VAX77 (which has Poly-AT). But ultimately, I never gelled with it and sold it on. I could not make peace with the semi-tone behavior. I have a Seaboard Block now that I rarely play. The thing is that it is not enough like a piano keyboard to transfer any technique. It seems to be good only for lines - and slower expressive ones at that. I ended up in the place of realizing that if it wasn't black and whites, I'd prefer to go all the way to a Continuum, as it is clearly as expressive as a classical instrument. It also has their learning curve. So I never bought one.

Now, this comes out and it is regular keys WITH MPE! This is interesting, and immediately useful. I'm sure it will be more expressive than anything I own, and that is enough. It also has MIDI to use with other things. The intro price was quite reasonable. And I would rather have the Eagen matrix than the new Ashun poly-AT keyboard. The Eagen matrix is capable of exeptionally good sounds - at least in the Continuum videos.
What the seaboard actually excels at is slow evolving controllable/malleable textures, but no one seems to have cottoned on to this - which is why we put AURAS out. Auras seems to translate well to the Continuum so hopefully it will be the same for OSMOSE :)