1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organteq Alpha out Dec. 13, Pianoteq customers can download now

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Joe_D, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Joe_D

Joe_D Senior Member

Oct 7, 2013
    I just saw that Modartt (the Pianteq people) are working on a virtual pipe organ, Organteq. They will release a small alpha on Dec. 13, and existing Pianoteq customers can get it now by logging into their user area.

Here's a link to their announcement:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5399

I downloaded it, and first impressions are that it is very nice, though simple. It only has two ranks (8' and 4' flutes), but I like the tone and the "chiff" (attack). There is a built-in cathedral reverb, again very simple, but pretty convincing.

PaulBrimstone, pfmusic and Rudankort like this.
  2. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Oh, this thread was already up, oops. I also found it pretty convincing.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    There will be a full-blown much more fully-featured virtual organ coming later in 2018 based on this tech. This is just a teaser.

So yeah... say "no" to sampled organs! :whistling:

4. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    That's what I hope to do, all those stops & release samples look to eat up file space where I don't want file space to be eaten.

Although I wonder how Modartt intends to handle a lot of stops. A simple keyswitch works in the demo, but 30+ stops would end up with way too many keyswitches.

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    You'll very likely be able to assign MIDI CCs to them, like you can to various parameters in Pianoteq. I wouldn't worry about that :) Especially great because you can assign MIDI events from ANY MIDI channel, which in essence gives you 16*128 assignable CCs! Pretty great if you use a touchscreen based solution like TouchOSC or the like.

6. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    I never liked to use CCs for things that are on/off, so I will ;)
    Maybe there'll be an inbetween solution where you can set up registrations and assign those to keyswitches. Or maybe the keyswitches could be taken from a different MIDI channel.

7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Keyswitches can certainly be taken from a different MIDI channel. But I see no difference in using a CC, especially if your MIDI controller has options to do so. Sustain pedal is in over 90% of cases a CC operating as a switch! :P

8. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Well the thing is a lot of the time I am not using a MIDI controller - for instance, I might be modifying MIDI data with a mouse in piano roll. Which might seem odd for software that is meant to be playable. But it's unintuitive drawing in CC data to turn something on or off. Especially for something you'd be doing multiple of, how many CC lanes would I need open to swap all the stops?

9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Yeah, that would be a pretty unconventional workflow for something that's meant to be played in in realtime...

However your logic is a bit flawed... You'd either need to have CC lanes open, or you'd have to enter that and that many keys in piano roll... either way it's too cumbersome.

10. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    I know it is, but a lot of my workflow is in programming as well as noodling on a keyboard. I might even need to edit a performance for errors, like picking the wrong stop, or deciding I want different stops but not wanting to perform it again, or...
    Not to mention how many buttons/pedals I'd need to buy to access all the stops of an organ. Honestly I see the solution of being able to assign registrations to keyswitches or CC as the best, keyswitching from a different MIDI channel would be pretty unwieldy as well. EDIT: Seems like you came to the same conclusion and I missed that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. evilantal

evilantal Antal Nusselder

Holy crap!
    Very interested!

12. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    All you need is a tablet and install TouchOSC on it, there you can program however many stops you want, all in one device...

13. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Another solution is (editable) preset combinations, and selecting one of those via PC messages. Doesn't have to be complexissimo.

14. OP
    OP
    Joe_D

Joe_D Senior Member

Oct 7, 2013
    While I don't want to minimize your concerns, Lotias, I think that arriving at a control scheme for stop selection is probably one of the easiest tasks that the Modartt team is faced with. It's good that you are stating your preferences so that they can consider them as they design the GUI and control behavior, though.

IMO, most of the work will be in modeling the airflow, valves, pipes, sound dispersion patterns, swell, etc.

Evil Dragon, do you know if the tracker action (direct mechanical connection between the key and the valve that admits air into the pipe) will be modeled? The alpha seems to respond like an electrical or electro-pneumatic action. Personally, I find tracker actions to be more expressive, because you can control the attack sounds. Of course, it would be great to be able to choose either way (and there are tons of awesome non-tracker organs in the world, especially Romantic and modern).

That's just a question for the future; I'm not expecting such subtleties in an alpha release, of course.

And just FYI, for any Modartt customers who haven't downloaded it yet, it seems to be (for now) a standalone, not a plugin.

15. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I did get a number of clicks, in simple passages under low CPU usage. Bit odd.

16. PaulBrimstone

PaulBrimstone Far, Far Away

Nov 22, 2016
    This looks ... and sounds ... great. And I just bought Spitfire’s Union Chapel organ, too, dang. Never mind — the more the merrier. As a Pianoteq owner and fan, the commercial version will certainly be on my to-buy list.

17. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Very interesting. But it will be hard to beat Hauptwerk.

18. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Of course most of the real work will be in the actual modelling, I was just wondering what sort of workflow we might see.

19. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    I have honestly no idea, but I assume the full instrument with much more functionality (TBR next year) might have everything under the sun, and then some... we will see :)