What's new

Orchestration and mockup of Ravel String Quartet

AL4PD

This is something I've been chipping away at for a while and I wanted to share it with this amazing community that has taught me so much!

The main excuse for doing this was to do a full test drive / stress test of a new orchestral template, but instead of doing a mockup of an existing orchestral piece I thought it would be fun to hone my orchestration chops at the same time. Also what a great piece!

Would be very grateful for any feedback about the orchestration or mockup.

Main Libraries used:

Cinematic Studio Strings
Cinematic Studio Solo Strings
Cinestrings Solo
Berlin Woodwinds
Berlin Brass
Metropolis 1 & 2 Choirs

Haha more like 2 months on and off

AL4PD

Hi Nite Sun... just wrote you a message. Please read! Loved your orchestration of the Ravel quartet!

Iskra

Wonderful and very musical! (which is the most difficult thing to accomplish with VIs)

SergeD

Kind of strange, it's like Ravel played in a Debussy spirit. Is it the first time that piece is orchestrated with brass, choir and woodwinds? If so, it would be interesting to hear it from a real orchestra.

giwro

This is simply spectacular... very wonderful use of the orchestra - it sounds as if it could have been originally conceived this way, which is to me the acid test of an orchestration like this.

Then there's the fact that the rendering was done so well that I wasn't listening to see if it sounded realistic, I was simply lost in the music. Bravo!

A few years ago I attempted something like this (with far less success) orchestrating an organ work... it is fun, isn't it?:)

miket

A few years ago I attempted something like this (with far less success) orchestrating an organ work... it is fun, isn't it?:)
What piece? I've had a few Duruflé/Langlais pieces in mind to orchestrate for years, but never get around to it.

giwro

What piece? I've had a few Duruflé/Langlais pieces in mind to orchestrate for years, but never get around to it.
It was actually a quite obscure piece - a Choral by Fauchard. If I can dig up the rendering and the score, perhaps I'll post it.

OleJoergensen

This orchestration and mock up is wonderful! I like also the choir, it is “Ravelish”.
I wish I could watch over your shoulders, especially with your layering of different libraries and the 3 depth reverb- it makes the mockup sounds great.
I do like the strings e.q. especially in the high register. Maybe the do lose some body in the lower register.
If you have plans for a tutorial, I am ready to order and buy :)
Thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom