What's new

Orchestral Tools - SINE Player - new update available—version 1.0.5

Does anyone actually enjoy SINE?
Not wanting to sound negative and certainly don´t want to offend the dev team, but to me it seems overly complicated and looks a lot like an online store rather than a player for instruments.

Yes... IF they can get the stability rock solid (and that should be their top priority now) and tweak the UI a little I think it has a lot of potential to be a very good player.

Good to know that most (or all) of you like it :) Thanks guys.

At the moment, I am happy that the OT libraries I own are still Kontakt based, because I would not want them in SINE given the stability issues and the general concept. Furthermore, I am simply not a fan of plugins with integrated online stores - to me, that´s a constant reminder to "buy more" and not something I want to see when I am working. Also, downloading the free LAYERS was a real challenge in Logic.

Does anyone actually enjoy SINE?
Not wanting to sound negative and certainly don´t want to offend the dev team, but to me it seems overly complicated and looks a lot like an online store rather than a player for instruments.

Complicated is not a word i would use to describe it!

I find it pretty intuitive (apart from the on/off button on the mic mixer - the mics just need more clear seperation)

The only real massive issue is stability. Which as it stands is awful.

When is version 1.02 coming out? I'm having problems with the Sine Player causing crashes with VE PRO 7.

I think most are having issues with SINE crashing :P

I hope they get to the bottom of it, and soon. I HATE using software that is prone to crash. It just makes using it a ticking time bomb and a faff.

Looks like it's different for every system, which makes me feel kinda sorry for the developer team! Must be hard to fix if you struggle replicating the issues.

For me it is extremely crashy too... I can barely use it for more than a few minutes, so no way to use it in a big project. Even lost some work on a mini track, which was annoying.
Glad I only have the free Layers.

I'm on Windows 10 by the way (just 32 GB RAM & CPU i7-8550, 4 cores and 8 processors). I'm also curious on which systems people with similar issues are.

I'd recommend anyone looking at JXL Brass to first test how the Sine player performs for them with Layers.

Last edited:
I think it would be useful to add system specs (operating system and DAW) when commenting on whether SINE is stable or not - this info would probably help the devs to troubleshoot any issues.

Win10. Studio One latest. I experience freezes if I close down and open the plugin while its playing samples, but something akin to this is not unlikely for me with Kontakt either. I have a fairly modest set up, with 64gb ram and jxl running from a T5, while other samples are on a Samsung EVO, i believe its called. There is a way to generate crash reports with SINE isnt it?

When is version 1.02 coming out? I'm having problems with the Sine Player causing crashes with VE PRO 7.
Seems like the majority of us are. And the behavior is platform agnostic...

Id call it stable, I dont think Ive had any issues which might not just as well have happened with Kontakt.

Definitely not my experience. I'm finding it to be incredibly unstable. I've also found that I can get away with it using a few instruments but not using all sections.

Once I start to want to use the majority of the library its wound up breaking every single project I've put it in. This spans 3 separate DAWs; and also includes VEP, as a completely separate use case.

At some point it seems to 'break' the ability for every application I've tried it in to allocate memory.

I've also tried migrating these projects to another machine with very different specs, (nearly twice as much power in all regards; double ram; nearly double the CPU performance). The behavior is identical on both machines.

For me it is extremely crashy too... I can barely use it for more than a few minutes, so no way to use it in a big project.

---

I'm on Windows 10 by the way (just 32 GB RAM & CPU i7-8550, 4 cores and 8 processors).

I'm on mac but the behaviors pretty much the same.. So I stand by my statement that the behavior in general looks to be platform agnostic.

Last edited:

Definitely not my experience. I'm finding it to be incredibly unstable. I've also found that I can get away with it using a few instruments but not using all sections.

Once I start to want to use the majority of the library its wound up breaking every single project I've put it in. This spans 3 separate DAWs; and also includes VEP, as a completely separate use case.

At some point it seems to 'break' the ability for every application I've tried it in to allocate memory.

I've also tried migrating these projects to another machine with very different specs, (nearly twice as much power in all regards; double ram; nearly double the CPU performance). The behavior is identical on both machines.

I'm on mac but the behaviors pretty much the same.. So I stand by my statement that the behavior in general looks to be platform agnostic.
Cheezes! Scary. Im gonna save clean midi only versions of all recent projects.

I agree about it being a memory allocation related issue. 99.9% of my crashes are from unloading an instrument (it just freezes indefinitely) or closing the player/sequencer. I have also had the odd clash on loading as well. Something is going funky when it is loading/unloading into ram.

I'm on Windows 10, using Cubase 10

Looks like it's different for every system, which makes me feel kinda sorry for the developer team! Must be hard to fix if you struggle replicating the issues.

Indeed ... which is why for the user it is hard to understand why we need yet another player engine. While Kontakt is certainly not perfect, it is quite solid. And more player engines involve (usually) more issues when it comes to OS update etc.

Nevertheless, I like the dark interface of SINE a lot.

Indeed ... which is why for the user it is hard to understand why we need yet another player engine. While Kontakt is certainly not perfect, it is quite solid. And more player engines involve (usually) more issues when it comes to OS update etc.

Nevertheless, I like the dark interface of SINE a lot.
Yea... well another problem here is that it was not only a new player but also a high priced release for pre-order with no way to tell how the engine is going to perform before it's too late.

Must really suck for people who dropped monies only to find out that they can barely use it. I for one would be burned since I can't keep my project running with the player for even a few minutes and that's no exaggeration.

Yea... well another problem here is that it was not only a new player but also a high priced release for pre-order with no way to tell how the engine is going to perform before it's too late.

That's exactly the reason I held back even though it was still 40% off on pre-sale...
Especially since my experience with HZ Strings as a new non Kontakt Library, which I can only now (after the recent update/upgrade) use to it's full potential.

Though funnily enough I have no problems with Sine so far (Mac, Logic Pro X), no crashes etc. neither with Layers nor with the single instruments I bought from JXL Brass...

Top Bottom