What's new

Orchestral Tools - SINE Player - new update available—version 1.0.5

So far loving everything I'm hearing, especially the individual shopping system, can't wait to try out some Berlin Brass instruments and Choirs from the Arks! I hope the new player will not be as resource heavy as Capsule (from what I've heard the Berlin series are very CPU demanding), although I only own Ark 1 which has never been a problem on my RAM so I don't actually know how bad the Berlin series are.

The one thing I haven't seen ... and maybe it is there ...

The ability to hear or even try out sounds before buying. It would be amazing to actually be able to play 30 seconds of an instrument patch before buying it. Or at least hearing samples of it first.
Yeah I thought about that the other day because the only way to decide if you want to buy Horn 1, 2, 3 or 4 from Berlin Brass is to go on the walkthrough and listen carefully to the short demo performed on each horn. It's not much but it's something, it would be cool to have a preview of each instrument before buying it though

So far loving everything I'm hearing, especially the individual shopping system, can't wait to try out some Berlin Brass instruments and Choirs from the Arks! I hope the new player will not be as resource heavy as Capsule (from what I've heard the Berlin series are very CPU demanding), although I only own Ark 1 which has never been a problem on my RAM so I don't actually know how bad the Berlin series are.
The Arks are fine on my system, and Capsule works for them as well as it works on anything. Berlin Strings is a completely different animal, and that's where the resource issues come in. On the one hand, Berlin Strings does have a great set of articulations and add-ons for even more. The library with its add-ons is quite comprehensive and it sounds great. You can do wonderful things even with the basic library. Overall it's my favorite sounding string library across the range. On the other hand, it takes a huge amount of RAM to load all those articulations even using only one mic. With multiple mics, it's unwieldy for all but the largest and most robust systems. The library is fussy to program and takes far longer to get right than my other libraries. So it goes mostly unused even though I very much like the sound. My frustrations with it and Capsule are why I'm hoping the new sample player allows OT to make the library more useable on my rig.

I had a conversation today with OT support and asked them explicitly if something was in the making and if I'd better wait with my purchase of Berlin libraries. This was exactly 3 hours before the video was released, haha :))
Anyway they told me: "... all existing customers will get free crossgrades, so there is nothing lost in purchasing now."

Including BWW legacy customers?

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the great feedback so far. Walkthroughs and more content is in the making and of course they will be released with enough time before the pre-order ends.

Just to answer some of your questions so far, SINE will be free to download (after being released December 16th) and yes, in the future you'll be able to add your previously purchased OT libraries to SINE and start utilizing SINE's features across those libraries too.
All the OT libraries you purchased up until now will still work on Konakt.

Layers will be released after December 16th & we'll keep you posted on more news.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next episode of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRgk5yqZMg ('Introducing: the SINE Player') and if you have anything you want to ask us, fire away!

Don't forget to check out www.getSINE.com for more information on all of SINE's features.

Thanks for all your support,

Hendrik

Hey Guys,

I just shot another episode, showing you how to get started with SINE.
From installing SINE to playing the first patch.

Btw, more Walkthroughts around Junkie XL Brass & another view behind the curtain will come!
In the meantime, for more info head to www.getsine.com and jxlbrass.com

All the best,
Hendrik

You guys going to release any Junkie XL demos before we all spend our money during the black friday sales? ;)

UI-wise there's not enough separation of sections across the whole interface. For example, on the right side where the articulation list is, there should be a horizontal separator from the rest of the GUI. Or a different shade of background. Just something to make a better and more obvious separation between sections of different functionality.

It's still better than the Spitfire player fiasco of a GUI, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be even better. :)

What I'm more interested in is actual performance, I do wonder how CPU taxing all that realtime monitoring of sample levels in order to match them to RTs really is (considering you could have hundreds upon hundreds of voices going off simultaneously)...

UI-wise there's not enough separation of sections across the whole interface. For example, on the right side where the articulation list is, there should be a horizontal separator from the rest of the GUI. Or a different shade of background. Just something to make a better and more obvious separation between sections of different functionality.

It's still better than the Spitfire player fiasco of a GUI, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be even better. :)

What I'm more interested in is actual performance, I do wonder how CPU taxing all that realtime monitoring of sample levels in order to match them to RTs really is (considering you could have hundreds upon hundreds of voices going off simultaneously)...

Perhaps it's precomputed metadata somehow embedded into the samples? Maybe RMS or level data only needs to be 100 Hz instead of 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Probably not, because they say it's realtime. Which means they get the current dB level of the sample when you release the key (so that can be at any point), in order to match it with the RT.

Judging from the announced features, the new player should breath some new life into their existing libraries. Wonder if they were able to easily port their Capsule scripting into Sine?
I asked them about this earlier this month... Tobias said something along the lines of: "The Sine Player will do everything Capsule does, and will do more..." (I secifically asked about morphing patches from disparate libraries like Arks 1 and 2.)

From the email it sounded like part of the point was to improve on Capsule in ways that either weren't possible or easy to do in Kontakt...

We'll see on the 16th, but OT hasn't let me down so far... So far there are a lot of clever things I see being hugely beneficial over Kontakt... This is the one 3rd party-player I actually have very high hopes for, OT genuinely seem to get it...

Last edited:
In their original webshop video, it explicitly highlights the feature of buying single instruments from their collections. Would be a bit odd if they backtracked on that for some reason.
Oh, the a la carte purchase system was my most anticipated thing about this whole project. Hope they haven't changed their minds regarding this. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Top Bottom