What's new

Orchestral Tools: OT Sample Player

kevthurman

I see a world where instead of charging four times the price of the exact same library because of licensing fees, companies provide their own samplers to play their sample libraries and offer more affordably priced virtual instruments for people who's entire paychecks go to rent and bills and for whom saving even 20 a month is an extreme challenge. Fingers crossed.
Not to mention a sampler tailor-made to work with a given developer's scripts allows more ambitious new sampling tech from devs.

MarcelM

I see a world where instead of charging four times the price of the exact same library because of licensing fees, companies provide their own samplers to play their sample libraries and offer more affordably priced virtual instruments for people who's entire paychecks go to rent and bills and for whom saving even 20 a month is an extreme challenge. Fingers crossed.
i dont think prices will be lowered. in the end they are not our friends and doing it for fun. they are a company which aims for profit, so i doubt prices will be much lower for upcoming releases.

i actually love the modular approach... i actually had the idea a few month back here on vi, so i guess it was already in the works and i had a right guess :)

korruptkey

You realize samplers don't just appear out of thin air right?

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
OK. Well, I like the look of the ability to break up the libraries and purchase just a part of a larger collection. Dependent on pricing I could see me taking advantage of that several times.

The new sampler, undecided for now. Keeping an open mind. Could be great. Need more information. I do think that having multiple sampler options in the market is a good thing. Kontakt/NI has done a good job so far but I guess they could disappear at any point due to circumstances beyond our control and having alternatives is good for users. Wishing OT every success with their new venture.

Last edited:

Geoff Grace

Any new sampler that shows up will live or die on its performance vs Kontakt, not to mention all the various compatibility issues with different hardware and different DAWs. And so far the only one that has matched its performance is Vienna's own engine.
These are good points, and of course time will tell.

As for performance vs Kontakt, there will be a wide variety of areas to compare. The most obvious two are RAM and CPU hit. The Orchestral Tools Sample Player feature set seems to indicate that—at least as far as mic positions are concerned—RAM will be considerably reduced via its Mic Position Merging feature. It looks to be a bit of a time hit though, similar to freezing tracks but taking longer. Another possible performance improvement might come in the area of sample transitions, if the Auto Volume Scaling and Core Implemented Legato features work well.

On the downside, there will be a learning curve; and it's likely that there will be bugs to work out, despite the rigorous testing Orchestral Tools plans to undertake. Kontakt may turn out to be more CPU friendly and offer other performance features that OT Sample Player won't have, possibly including a smaller RAM hit under some instances. (Will OT Sample Player offer a purge unused samples feature, for example?) Kontakt is also likely to be editable in a wider variety of ways.

Comparing Kontakt to a yet-to-be-released program is full of pitfalls, so I won't go further down the rabbit hole at this point. Interesting times ahead though...

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:

dogdad

Looks really nice. Wondering if it will be compatible with the older version of BWW (don’t have the newer release). Also, love the idea of buying just the instruments you want. Really interesting and exciting development.

jamwerks

One of the most important reasons for doing your own player is copy protection.

On the video it looked quite advanced, maybe more so than the SF player.

It should be easier for them to implement their own advanced technology that maybe wasn't possible or difficult on Kontakt.

Layers is a great idea, everyone will obviously download it and learn it for free. In my experience it only takes a few hours to understand a program like this.

The competition for SF & VSL just got a little stiffer!

KallumS

OK. Well, I like the look of the ability to break up the libraries and purchase just a part of a larger collection.
I think this is the biggest thing to come out of this announcement for me. In theory you can just buy instruments/ articulations as and when you need them instead of whole collections. Think of it like buying individual songs versus albums.

Wunderhorn

Nice to see the development of something new.
However, I have to remind that it took years until things were working smoothly in the Kontakt eco-system, PLAY also took many years to become usable and still is not on par with Kontakt. I hope while this is allowed to take its time to mature we will have the option for Kontakt. Having been a guinea pig before I won't do it anymore (I am nodding over to you, Spitfire, too). "Ain't nobody got time fort that" ...

fretti

my understanding is that you can buy e.g. Violins 1 of Berlin Strings, and Trumpet 1 of Berlin Brass and then decide what Mic you want to download. But I didn‘t get that they offer one to buy single Articulations or Mics?!
Did they say this (and I missed that part)?:)

Shagal

For us customers AND from a business point of view for OT, the possibility to buy single instruments is huge! Opens up a whole new market segment for them.
If their player is working fine, I'll be happy to use it. AD uses this concept of combined player, shop, update center aso and I like how it works. Looking forward to it!

Saxer

I'm happy for every move away from Kontakt.

First of all it's the NI eco system that is standardizing the way how to work. Keyboard lights to show the key switches might be handy but it also removes the need to think about the own individual work flow. Do I want to use key switches at all? When I watch their newer commercial videos where 'artists' put together snippets from different libraries it feels like convenient food in an expensive restaurant. Everyone can cook: open the package und put the content into the microwave. It's the removement of individuality. Even the creaters become consumers. Buy your creativity.

When everything is standardized developement has finished. So every movement in another direction is welcome! I don't want to say that Kontakt is a bad sampler or kind of evil. I use it all the time. But having different options is never bad.

Pietro

With every new engine, I'm quite worried about performance/stability and memory usage. Since I use instrument tracks in Cubase, rather than rack instruments, this is quite a big deal.

It's easy for early build of software to "forget" about things like loading 200 instances in a project and not using 20GB of RAM.

- Piotr

osum

Since I use instrument tracks in Cubase, rather than rack instruments, this is quite a big deal.
This. In the past I used rack instruments and midi tracks but for several reasons I switched to using only instrument tracks. It's way more convenient for me and the only disadvantage are larger cubase project files and longer save times but I can live with that. In fact a lot of the composers using Cubase just use instrument tracks these days as far as I've seen. (if they don't need to use ve ensemble etc of course)

(Off-topic) @Pietro , I just realized you also worked on the Blood & Wine soundtrack for Witcher 3. I'm currently plaing it on my second playthrough, what a coincidence :D Love the soundtrack.

MartinH.

(Off-topic) @Pietro , I just realized you also worked on the Blood & Wine soundtrack for Witcher 3. I'm currently plaing it on my second playthrough, what a coincidence :D Love the soundtrack.
It's easy for early build of software to "forget" about things like loading 200 instances in a project and not using 20GB of RAM.
(offtopic: Bulletstorm is one of the few soundtracks that I often took with me on my MP3 player. Kudos to you and the rest of the team!)

I agree about the performance considerations and loading many instances. E.g. in Kontakt you can load 10 instances of different patches that share the same samplepool into one Kontakt instance, without it loading 10x the data into RAM. It's quite efficient in that regard.

I wonder if their player is going to be using some kind of runtime interpreted scripting language, or if the scripts are compiled ahead of time into more high performance native code, and what the implications of that will be for performance, updates etc..

Pietro

(offtopic: Bulletstorm is one of the few soundtracks that I often took with me on my MP3 player. Kudos to you and the rest of the team!
Many thanks, guys!

And to follow up the specific RAM matter, Kontakt is handling that fine, but it could be better. PLAY actually does better in that regard, as it eats up less RAM per instance. Empty instance, I mean. Add Komplete plugin to that, and you get quite a bit of RAM pretty much wasted :/...

- Piotr

Top Bottom