What's new

Orchestral Tools NKS offer 2019

Okay, different question: What does Time Macro add to Inspire 1+2? 😁
Time Macro is totally another beast. Time Macro is focused on evolving and moving textures while Inspire is much more of a bread and butter library with your standard patches. Time Macro doesn't have any staccato patches but have some repetition patches, though these are not meant to be "perfect" repetitions, but more free and textural repetitions.

It stops when you stop. Look at me for example. I just bought Inspire as my first paid library. Now I stopped. I'm satisfied. Period. Now excuse me as I'm busy searching for dedicated choir library to compliment the Inspire. Also I'll need to buy a dedicated acoustic/electric guitar lib. After that, a church orgran lib. All of this within this Black Friday.
Hahaha you have achieved something great: Self control! That's what I trying to do as well! :)

So far I am going well! I am not buying something if I am not 100% sure that I need it!

Like you, I am in the middle of the way! I am already done with Folk/Celtic/Medieval libraries (Eduardo Tarilonte ERAs), I am done with Choir libraries (Requiem Light Symphonic Choir for full epic choir + ERA 2 Vocal codex for solo voices), and I am done with "sections and players" orchestral libraries (EWHO Gold)!

I have 3 more to go: 1) a sketch library featuring pre-orchestrated full ensembles and various mixed-orchestra patches, 2) a solo strings library, and 3) an epic orchestral percussion loops library! After that I will have to stop (at least for a few years), and I will not have the right to complain that I am missing something important! I will have everything I need to create organic orchestral symphonic music!

About what YOU are missing, I could really recommend you (value for money) Requiem Light Symphonic Choir! Especially if you are into epic / symphonic choir, this one sounds very nice out-of-the-box and it's very easy to use! Of course if you are willing to spend much more money for a dedicated choir library, then you have many more interesting options as well!

Now about church / pipe organs, Garritan has a cheap dedicated library! If you want lush cinematic symphonic sound and modern interface, I suppose that you just can't go wrong with Spitfire's Symphonic Organ!

About guitars sorry I have no idea! :P

Meanwhile, Black Friday is slowly approaching! So plan carefully and wisely! :)

Hello my first post here!

My quandary is this. I'm a TOTAL Orchestral novice but have a comprehensive studio (Neve, Shadow Hills MC blah blah!) to use this in.

Im about to buy Ark x 4 + macro and given Inspire is " In order to make life easier for users, Orchestral Tools created the Berlin Orchestra Inspire library, featuring sections and solo instruments culled from the company’s larger collections and streamlined for fast creation on less powerful systems and laptops. " is it worth getting Inspire x 2 as well??? I think its better suited as a novice but given the above " is it overlap (i.e. redundant once im up an running), yet dont want to miss the ridiculous prices.

Yes im a shameless software addict :rolleyes:

Time Macro is totally another beast. Time Macro is focused on evolving and moving textures while Inspire is much more of a bread and butter library with your standard patches. Time Macro doesn't have any staccato patches but have some repetition patches, though these are not meant to be "perfect" repetitions, but more free and textural repetitions.
Yes, that's it. Both are recorded in the same room, but other than that these are very different libraries with very different approaches. You want have double patches if you buy Time and Inspire. If you have to decide between them, you need to know what kind of music you prefer making @okay

Hello my first post here!

My quandary is this. I'm a TOTAL Orchestral novice but have a comprehensive studio (Neve, Shadow Hills MC blah blah!) to use this in.

Im about to buy Ark x 4 + macro and given Inspire is " In order to make life easier for users, Orchestral Tools created the Berlin Orchestra Inspire library, featuring sections and solo instruments culled from the company’s larger collections and streamlined for fast creation on less powerful systems and laptops. " is it worth getting Inspire x 2 as well??? I think its better suited as a novice but given the above " is it overlap (i.e. redundant once im up an running), yet dont want to miss the ridiculous prices.

Yes im a shameless software addict :rolleyes:
Hi, welcome to the forum. If you work on a strong enough PC, which you should so or so when using big sample libraries in big compositions, you DON'T need Inspire on top of 4 Arks as a starting point! What the heck dude, that's already more than you could try out and learn using in a couple of months as a bloody beginner. In fact, I would even recommend to ignore the Ark deal and just go for both Inspires in your case, but that's up to you and your bank account. Just saying you will be overwhelmed by the possibilities, in a positive and negative way. That's the best advice I can give.

Orchestral Tools did 40% off all of the Berlin Main Collections (no expansions) for Black Friday 2018. So it is reasonable to guess that they'll do something similar again in 2019.

Also, there's a good chance they'll release Metropolis Ark 5 around the holidays, and launch the a la carte store some time before the end of 2019.

Hope for this to happen again, or the new shop to be released before Black Friday. really want those Berlin Woodwinds! And if they are as good as people say then maybe look into Berlin Brass as well, but we shall see.

Also, might be a silly question, but in regards to Berlin Woodwinds, I can see that they split the players into individual patches, so you have Flute 1, Flute 2, and Flute 3. Doesn't that mean that's 3 different solo flute players in separate patches? If so, what is the point of Berlin Woodwinds Exp B with soloists? It has a solo flute, but if Flute 1 from BWW is already a solo flute then what is the difference?

Thanks Blue

We are running an Imac Pro 8 core Xeon so machine OK

I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of overkill. I can put through the business so cash ok but time is the issue. You cant buy time. Again the quandary is losing the deal. I had lined up Spitfire Studio Orc Pro or Symphony Complete. In a perfect world I'd like one set to hit and learn. The more I research the more I appreciate that's never going to happen. Yet I still need a starting point and as you elude Inspire may suffice....will i then regret missing the Ark deals though!

Thanks Blue

We are running an Imac Pro 8 core Xeon so machine OK

I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of overkill. I can put through the business so cash ok but time is the issue. You cant buy time. Again the quandary is losing the deal. I had lined up Spitfire Studio Orc Pro or Symphony Complete. In a perfect world I'd like one set to hit and learn. The more I research the more I appreciate that's never going to happen. Yet I still need a starting point and as you elude Inspire may suffice....will i then regret missing the Ark deals though!

Hmm. Well, I suggest you do some research on Orchestral Libraries in general first. It seems you have a 1TB SSD and 32GB of RAM. This requires some RAM management as RAM is pretty much the most important factor during composing with lots of libraries.

The biggest difference between Spitfire Studio Orch and the Orchestral Tools products on offer is that OT has a lot of combination patches, especially in the strings. SSO splits things up more between Ensembles. On the other hand, the ARK's are character libraries which basically means ARK I is very suitable for a certain type of music. As is ARK II. The SSO lib will cover more bases but require more skill and expertise to make sound a certain desired way.

Personally, my plan is getting ARK I and II now, and SSO later. The two ARK's should be able to keep me busy for quite a while and I'd rather get the dedicated OT libraries (such as Berlin Woodwinds) later than invest in the Inspire libraries, which are frankenstein'd from other OT libs.

Also, might be a silly question, but in regards to Berlin Woodwinds, I can see that they split the players into individual patches, so you have Flute 1, Flute 2, and Flute 3. Doesn't that mean that's 3 different solo flute players in separate patches? If so, what is the point of Berlin Woodwinds Exp B with soloists? It has a solo flute, but if Flute 1 from BWW is already a solo flute then what is the difference?

The BWW soloists exp has more "soloist" sounding instruments. They only have one dynamic layer, but they sound very nice for cantabile passages. The regular ones might sound a bit robotic if exposed solo, especially the oboes.

Hope for this to happen again, or the new shop to be released before Black Friday. really want those Berlin Woodwinds! And if they are as good as people say then maybe look into Berlin Brass as well, but we shall see.

I would wait until the JXL Brass comes out to be honest.

Just between Spitfire and OT if anyone's interested,

As someone who has more Spitfire products than OTs, I dare say that the Inspires are standing on uncontested grounds in terms of their versatility and low RAM footprint. Masse definitely can't compare to the BOIs. (correct me if I am wrong) The BOIs were initially created as the mobile sketching / foundation layer tools for OT users who would then go home to their desktop rigs to layer the main library patchers on top (or even replace). There seems to be no Spitfire equivalent for this...Albions vs Ark, SSO (and the likes) vs Berlin Series...etc

And this makes the BOI the perfect entry point into the OT Berlin series.

If you are running on 16GB of RAM, I suggest the BOIs...aas they give you enough and run on way lesser RAM than Albion. If you are running more than that, you can just get the Arks (or Albion series) and progress straight into the main Berlin (or SFA symphony/studio) libraries.

Last edited:
Yet I still need a starting point and as you elude Inspire may suffice....will i then regret missing the Ark deals though!
There is no doubt about the great price of this sale. It never was cheaper before, but we had a very similiar sale in last December, so not too long ago. First I thought this was a one-time oppertunity, but now as it happend twice, there will sure be a third time. As you say, time is key and using libraries with a similar workflow and interface is a good idea. Another oppertunity would be to just buy the Ark 1 + 2 bundle. 3 + 4 are a little more some sort of a niche product and can wait until your confidence in orchestral scoring grew. In the end, all up to you :)
The two ARK's should be able to keep me busy for quite a while and I'd rather get the dedicated OT libraries (such as Berlin Woodwinds) later than invest in the Inspire libraries, which are frankenstein'd from other OT libs.
This, lol!

Just between Spitfire and OT if anyone's interested,

As someone who has more Spitfire products than OTs, I dare say that the Inspires are standing on uncontested grounds in terms of their versatility and low RAM footprint. Masse definitely can't compare to the BOIs. (correct me if I am wrong) The BOIs were initially created as the mobile sketching / foundation layer tools for OT users who would then go home to their desktop rigs to layer the main library patchers on top (or even replace). There seems to be no Spitfire equivalent for this...Albions vs Ark, SSO (and the likes) vs Berlin Series...etc

And this makes the BOI the perfect entry point into the OT Berlin series.

If you are running on 16GB of RAM, I suggest the BOIs...aas they give you enough and run on way lesser RAM than Albion. If you are running more than that, you can just get the Arks (or Albion series) and progress straight into the main Berlin (or SFA symphony/studio) libraries.

I think this is my problem, the music I want to write is so out of my reach, theory and technology/budget wise. I've only a 16gb RAM MacBook, but trying to organise a template with things like CSS, CSB, BWW, Truestrike/Spitfire Percussion is a bit ambitious for this machine. I do love the sound of the inspires but feel like I should focus on getting these dedicated libraries because it'll be more worth it in the long run, when I am able to write music for those libraries, and can afford a machine with more RAM.

I think this is my problem, the music I want to write is so out of my reach, theory and technology/budget wise. I've only a 16gb RAM MacBook, but trying to organise a template with things like CSS, CSB, BWW, Truestrike/Spitfire Percussion is a bit ambitious for this machine. I do love the sound of the inspires but feel like I should focus on getting these dedicated libraries because it'll be more worth it in the long run, when I am able to write music for those libraries, and can afford a machine with more RAM.

Well, it all depends on your workflow, and if you are willing to commit to the rest of the OT product range. When starting out, just commit to 1 and take it from there. The upgrades usually only come after 2-3 years (with a disciplined mind and wallet) when listeners/clients start to feel that your tracks 'sound the same'. And of course there's the matter of community support and price that adds into the value equation. If you don't want to spend on new libraries (you seem to already have all you need - just the wants getting in the way), perhaps you can consider getting Cubase as it has the 'disable track' function which I find very useful for portable rigs.

I sketch with BOI on my MBP and take them home for replacing/layering with Spitfire orchestral patches. I am only using BOIs till Spitfire comes out with a comparable alternative; since I am already heavily invested in them.

Top Bottom