What's new

Orchestral Tools NKS offer 2019

There are reasons to spend. And if you are like me and have the money, it is great to be able to support the companies that make my hobby fun and keep them in business to make more great products. If you don't have the money, none of this is really worth going into debt for. Especially if you have other just as good libraries to play with.
I find that difficult. Even though I have the money to buy every library I want, it's not necessarily that every new library gives me more inspiration, or makes my music better.
I ask myself similar questions to kgdrum, and I've never fought with myself as long as I have with the BBCSO. It is not the value of money it costs.

One day I think I need it, the next day I think I don't really need it.
I now have enough libraries to do everything I want to do. I think anyway.
BBSCO could make things easier, but as soon as I add more elements I'm faced with the same challenge as now, how do I bring that together in the mix?

So far I preferred rather dry librarys, with the Arks I got a new room element which causes headaches every now and then. So I have to improve my mixing skills.

When it comes to pure instrumentation, BBCSO doesn't offer me anything I don't already have. The possibilities to adjust it spatially are the new element for me. The Arks have something special that I can't easily do with a standard orchestra library. Not everything, but a few very special articulations are already included.

And I keep thinking I should spend a lot more time on what I already have, because I've only scratched the existing potential.

And then again they are these GAS thoughts ...

How many models of cars are on the road?
How many cars can we drive at the same time, and does it make sense to own several cars at the same time, when in principle they serve the same purpose? They take us from A to B.

And then there are the following considerations:

1. I need an SUV to get through difficult terrain
2. I need a sports car to not be faster in a traffic jam, but to look better
3. I need a station wagon to transport my extended family
4. I need a small car to find a parking space in town
5. I ride a bicycle because I don't have a driver's license
6. I drive a bus, even without a driver's license because I'm crazy about it
7. None of this, I go on foot

It's a wonderful philosophizing to do.

I find that difficult. Even though I have the money to buy every library I want, it's not necessarily that every new library gives me more inspiration, or makes my music better.
I ask myself similar questions to kgdrum, and I've never fought with myself as long as I have with the BBCSO. It is not the value of money it costs.

One day I think I need it, the next day I think I don't really need it.
I now have enough libraries to do everything I want to do. I think anyway.
BBSCO could make things easier, but as soon as I add more elements I'm faced with the same challenge as now, how do I bring that together in the mix?

So far I preferred rather dry librarys, with the Arks I got a new room element which causes headaches every now and then. So I have to improve my mixing skills.

When it comes to pure instrumentation, BBCSO doesn't offer me anything I don't already have. The possibilities to adjust it spatially are the new element for me. The Arks have something special that I can't easily do with a standard orchestra library. Not everything, but a few very special articulations are already included.

And I keep thinking I should spend a lot more time on what I already have, because I've only scratched the existing potential.

And then again they are these GAS thoughts ...
I tend to buy a lot of weird low cost libraries on sale. I may never use them but they are usually fun to play with and give me some ideas. They just don't always make it into the final version. Like some of the Soundiron libraries or 8Dios' wrenchenspiel.

Then you have things like Afflatus Strings. I am not good enough to make that any where near worth buying. But I got SSO on sale last year. I do like wet libraries because they are less work to mix for me, if you use ones that are recorded in place spatially. Use more room mic with some close and it sounds pretty good. I like my VSL SE, but it never sounds quite right. I'm not good enough yet to understand how to make them sound right spatially.

This is where BBCSO comes in. If you use just BBCSO - and it is supposed to be a complete product - everything should be in its proper place, using a mix of close and room (and some spill) mics. With my current products, I am not sure it is worth it to me to get it now. I can wait for a wishlist sale.

But if you like dry libraries, I can see most of these will not be of interest to you. The whole point of the BBCSO is to have an entire orchestra that has worked together many years and are comfortable playing together, know what the other sections sound like and can play to that and is in proper position in a room that they normally record in. It should just blend easily together. At least that is the hope.

This is where BBCSO comes in. If you use just BBCSO - and it is supposed to be a complete product - everything should be in its proper place, using a mix of close and room (and some spill) mics. With my current products, I am not sure it is worth it to me to get it now. I can wait for a wishlist sale.

But if you like dry libraries, I can see most of these will not be of interest to you. The whole point of the BBCSO is to have an entire orchestra that has worked together many years and are comfortable playing together, know what the other sections sound like and can play to that and is in proper position in a room that they normally record in. It should just blend easily together. At least that is the hope.
I'm with you on that!

I've gotten used to EWHO and the VSL Package, so I can handle it quite well.

But I don't use any of these libraries exclusively, I always mix several things together. And I wonder if BBCSO really makes my life easier.

When I have a good day I like to play with the Elven Choir and exchange the choirs I have created with EWSC or whatever. Just because I'm mad. ;)

I usually rarely write purely classical pieces, and when I do, I always find something I need. I don't have the pressure to convince a customer of my work, which fortunately I don't have to do anymore.
If I would earn my money exclusively with music it would be something else, then I would probably have a different attitude to it.

Like you, I sometimes just enjoy fiddling around with something. Nevertheless, I also have a demand on myself that I would like to fulfill.
Music makes me happy, and that is the most important thing for me. It doesn't have to be perfect, it has to please me and be fun. And if others also like that, then that is also a good feeling.

BBCSO looks to be not only interesting, but fun challenge as well ! Some GAS involved .....

New Ferrari SUV, and Mercedes Pickup cover most bases, and also fit in most garages ! :cool:

Top Bottom