What's new

Orchestral Tools Mockup: "Ride" by Samuel Hazo (Arr. for Symphony Orchestra)

dhmusic

An actual volleyball
Oh boy.

This track really pushed my libraries to their limits but I think I pulled it off alright. The string solo/soli in the middle of the piece was a bit of a hurdle but I just took it one note at a time and pushed through. I didn't have any saxophones so I adapted those parts across the rest of the orchestra. Added strings too - going for a somewhat retro vibe. Let's call it "Disco Bernstein"

I'd love to hear what you all think. Anyone else play this in their school days?

---
Here's a recording of the original for reference in case anyone is curious:
---

Last edited:
Awesome work! Wow, I haven't heard the name Samuel Hazo since high school concert band! There are so many composers that must have made a fortune from wind band royalties (like Robert W. Smith, Frank Ticheli, probably nowadays its John Mackey...)

Congrats on a great mockup!

Yeah, I also haven't heard of this piece/composer since high school band... in all honesty it wasn't a big hit with us, but this is a cool treatment of it and I hear it a bit differently now.

great track

few things I noticed with the mix -
top end is very hot (eq)
the mix is very centre heavy
I appreciate the feedback! It's kind of funny, I was going back and forth on those two qualities a few hours ago based on some reference tracks I was listening to and was like "yeah, this sounds like the 70's to me" - as imagined (the track was written in the early 2000's) I might dial it back a bit though, particularly in the cymbals.

As long as it sounds a bit like ABBA in the end I'll be happy

Oh boy.

This track really pushed my libraries to their limits but I think I pulled it off alright. The string solo/soli in the middle of the piece was a bit of a hurdle but I just took it one note at a time and pushed through. I didn't have any saxophones so I adapted those parts across the rest of the orchestra. Added strings too - going for a somewhat retro vibe. Let's call it "Disco Bernstein"

I'd love to hear what you all think. Anyone else play this in their school days?

Libraries used:
100% @OrchestralTools - I'll post the breakdown of the libraries here in a bit. It's a broad range of their libraries.

PS @Hendrik-Schwarzer
Thank the gods for Ark 4. Can't wait for the SINE release.

Oh yeahhhhh ……..this is great stuff …

Fantastic! This must have been a LOT of work!
Thanks man! Yeah it really was haha... I think it took me about 40-50 hours over the course of like 3 or 4 days. It was pretty much all I did in that time. Been trying to work on stuff that's a stretch for my current skill, but not totally impossible. I think this was a good one for that.

Oh boy.

Libraries used:
@OrchestralTools -

Strings:
Berlin Strings Main (Violin I and II, Measured Trills)
Miroire (Basso Continuo)
Metropolis Ark 4 (High Strings, Mid Strings)
Nocturne Soloist Violin (Substituting Alto Sax Solo)
Nocturne Soloist Cello

Woodwinds:
Berlin Woodwinds Main - Piccolo, Flute I+II+III, Oboe I+II, English Horn, Clarinet I+II, Bassoon I+II
BWW Exp A - Bass Clarinet
BWW Exp B - Oboe, English Horn
BWW Exp C - Bassoon, Bass Clarinet
Metropolis Ark 4 - All Mixed "Elite Ensembles"

Brass:
Berlin Brass Main (Trumpets I+II+III+Ens, Horns I+II+III+IV+Ens, Trombones I+II+Bass+Ens, Tuba)
Tom Holkenborg Brass (Bass Trombones a3)
Metropolis Ark IV - All mixed "Elite Ensembles"

Percussion:
Berlin Percussion Main - Piccolo Snare, Dresden Snare w+w/o snare engaged, Xylophone, Tubular Bells, Glockenspiel, All Cymbals, Piatti 20", Tam Tams, Concert Bass Drum
Berlin Percussion Exp A - Timpani Baroque Mallets
Metropolis Ark IV - Timpani/Tom Ensemble, Xylophone/Piano/Marimba Ensemble, Kick Ensemble
Metropolis Ark I - Drumset (Rides)
Orchestral Grands - Steinway Model D

No external reverb used, all ambience is Teldex proper.

PS @Hendrik-Schwarzer
Thank the gods for Ark 4. Can't wait for the SINE release.
---
Here's a recording of the original for reference in case anyone is curious:
---

Wow! This is just... fantastic. Brings back some good memories

It sounds fantastic - I'd daresay I like your mockup better than the original recording. But there's one big issue - why did you get rid of the alto sax solo? 😟 That was one of my favorite parts.

Also, I've got a minor question. What genre is this considered? The only way I can describe it would be calling it a jazzy symphonic piece.

It sounds fantastic - I'd daresay I like your mockup better than the original recording. But there's one big issue - why did you get rid of the alto sax solo? 😟 That was one of my favorite parts.

Also, I've got a minor question. What genre is this considered? The only way I can describe it would be calling it a jazzy symphonic piece.
Thanks for listening! And that's really flattering I appreciate it :)

Haha no sax because
1. I'm broke and don't have a good one
2. I botched the fast part of the solo my senior year in high school
3. I was in a JRPG mood
4. I wanted to feature more strings since they aren't in the original piece

I've always loved the piece though. I wanted to give it my own personal touch since it's been on my mind for many years.

I think "Jazzy Symphonic" is a good way to describe it! I'm sure someone around here has a suggestion too

Last edited:
Top Bottom