What's new

Orchestral Tools - Metropolis Ark 4 - New Demo online!

I'd decided to give this a miss after MA3 (not used it in a year - too niche for most regular orchestral uses) but this has blown me away! I especially like the fact that each section has full dynamics and great articulation options. This will be hard to ignore. So musical - sounds phenomenal. Well done OT!!

I'd decided to give this a miss after MA3 (not used it in a year - too niche for most regular orchestral uses) but this has blown me away! I especially like the fact that each section has full dynamics and great articulation options. This will be hard to ignore. So musical - sounds phenomenal. Well done OT!!
Oh those other power legatos....Great Great...Great Melody lines in my head!!!

I am not so sold on woodwinds combos, but brass, strings and female choir is enough for me to justify owning it... Also, I am sucker for new articulations.

@OrchestralTools @OT_Tobias --

Can you please clarify which trills intervals are available for instruments that include the Single Trills TO articulation? In the video I see different intervals for each instrument (e.g. +1 and +7 for Flute/Piccolo, +2 +3 +4 for Flute/Oboe/Clarinet) but it also seems possible that each instrument includes every interval from +1 to +7.

Last edited:
Glad they included the extra close mics on this. Seems like you can actually get pretty close and dry! That was always my only critique with the Arks: too much reverb. I suppose it being a much smaller section also helps.

Last edited:
@OrchestralTools @OT_Tobias --

Can you please clarify which trills intervals are available for each instruments that include the Single Trills TO articulation? In the video I see different intervals for each instrument (e.g. +1 and +7 for Flute/Piccolo, +2 +3 +4 for Flute/Oboe/Clarinet) but it also seems possible that each instrument includes every interval from +1 to +7.
Oh didn't see there are 10 trills orchestrator sections... Great!...

biggest disappointment so far in watching the screencasts is that there is no power legato for cellos alone. All the low strings are in 8ves with the bass. This drives me absolutely insane when the cellos are recorded in 8ves with the basses by default in certain ensemble libraries. Yes, cellos very often double the basses but how are you going to provide a killer, anguished, screaming legato for violins and then not provide the same for the cellos. How heart-wrenching it would be to hear the cellos wailing up there like the violins...but no...you can only use them for bass lines. a real mistake, IMO.

oh and also the 3 kick drum ensemble...what?

biggest disappointment so far in watching the screencasts is that there is no power legato for cellos alone. All the low strings are in 8ves with the bass. This drives me absolutely insane when the cellos are recorded in 8ves with the basses by default in certain ensemble libraries. Yes, cellos very often double the basses but how are you going to provide a killer, anguished, screaming legato for violins and then not provide the same for the cellos. How heart-wrenching it would be to hear the cellos wailing up there like the violins...but no...you can only use them for bass lines. a real mistake, IMO.

Would pairing BS First Chairs with this solve that problem?? Too bad that package isn't on sale too. Might those be a really good fit together??

Would pairing BS First Chairs with this solve that problem?? Too bad that package isn't on sale too. Might those be a really good fit together??
YES that's it. I bought MA4 with First Chairs. This will really well fit together. I love the FC sound, it goes from very dry to very wet.
I think that 's what we will be able to do with MA4 . Going fro very dry and close and intimate to wet and wide and powerful....

Reactions: JW
I just wish OT would put First Chairs on sale now too!! I think I read they did it last May as part of a "completion" sale? Please OT, do your own "wish list" and make this Christmas "Complete"!!

Oddly, the walkthroughs for Ark 4 aren't yet on the OT website. Instead you have to know to go to YouTube to find them. Still only one demo as well.

This has actually happened with few other of their libraries as well, Where you'd have to go elsewhere to find the videos. I always found that odd.
I suppose OT figures most people who would buy on preorder know what to do. Still, given that they undoubtedly picked up a lot of new customers from the NI sale, this one seems like it's a bit of an oversight...

Top Bottom