What's new

Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

Thanks for the examples. They are most welcome! The flute/piccs sounded pretty restrained there. They sound good for the passage, I just mean that I was expecting something a bit rougher and forced for POWER LEGATO. In fact, the woodwinds in the second example accompanying the illustration of the big low end struck me as more interesting.

Yeah, well, I mixed them a bit restrained also..they have no soloing stage position with my mixing approach here in fact, they could have mixed a bit more with some more close miced approach, I think here I used the AB, Tree and Surround more like. But yeah..they are not that aggressive, but look..at the other patches..like the overblown shorts and stuff, there you will find the more in your face things..

Yeah, well, I mixed them a bit restrained also..they have no soloing stage position with my mixing approach here in fact, they could have mixed a bit more with some more close miced approach, I think here I used the AB, Tree and Surround more like. But yeah..they are not that aggressive, but look..at the other patches..like the overblown shorts and stuff, there you will find the more in your face things..
Yes, that makes sense. I mean they sound good on the passage and I recognize that you were shaping the sound for the passage not to show off the POWER LEGATO. (Sorry, that articulation name still cracks me up, and I can't help but capitalize it.) In any case, thanks very much for sharing. It really helps me get a better sense of the potential of the library.

Well, this thread has been remarkably quiet for a major library that just dropped.
You know, I had some big rant typed out in response to this but in the end, it's not worth the argument I'm sure would ensue. Here's the bullet points: The marketing was terrible. Pressure marketing is even worse. The demos gave no reason for most of us to buy this. The lack of information is a huge cause. The fact that most people feel this library isn't really a need for their arsenal combined with the high cost doesn't help.

I'm really disappointed. I was hoping for something special with a new Ark since the past 3 have been real gems. Guess you can't win em all. I'm also irritated at myself for passing up on Afflatus for Ark. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
You know, I had some big rant typed out in response to this but in the end, it's not worth the argument I'm sure would ensue. Here's the bullet points: The marketing was terrible. Pressure marketing is even worse. The demos gave no reason for most of us to buy this. The lack of information is a huge cause. The fact that most people feel this library isn't really a need for their arsenal combined with the high cost doesn't help.

I'm really disappointed. I was hoping for something special with a new Ark since the past 3 have been real gems. Guess you can't win em all. I'm also irritated at myself for passing up on Afflatus for Ark. Won't happen again.
Well, I'm most sorry to hear this.

like the other Arks, this may grow on me.

i will definitely use it.

and since many didn't bite, i'll have a tonal advantage.

;)
The more i use it, the more i discover things :
The power legato strings and winds give an excellent ethnic touch ...They are more portamento than legato. Ethnic lines...

And the winds combos can go towards jazzy things.!!! Really.
And once more, the chamber strings sound ......chamber strings.

The low strings, if you go with close 2 mics, you hear more the 2 cellos than the bass. So you can have the cello lines with a little touch of bass. Great.
The woman legato can be very soft if you disable the high velocities. Very effective for magical moments...
Flute picolo lines, great.
The horn lines have a superb accented legato. My go to for epic lines . Better than the a9legato horns of ark1...Surprised....

The crescendo tremolo are great for rapid short ostinatos. Better than the upbeat triplet.
The trills orchestrator is polyphonic and very effective. You can play it with two hands...

Really a great addition for me to the Ark series. And i don't even tell you about blending them together !!!

Have a great Christmas day all of you vst lovers !!!

The power legato strings and winds give an excellent ethnic touch ...They are more portamento than legato. Ethnic lines..

That’s interesting.

The low strings, if you go with close 2 mics, you hear more the 2 cellos than the bass. So you can have the cello lines with a little touch of bass. Great.
The woman legato can be very soft if you disable the high velocities. Very effective for magical moments...
Flute picolo lines, great.
The horn lines have a superb accented legato. My go to for epic lines . Better than the a9legato horns of ark1...Surprised....

these are great. Most surprised by your statement about the accented legato being better for epic lines than a9 horn patch.

And i don't even tell you about blending them together !!!

Do tell us about blending!

Yes, I hear you and my wallet feels a bit more secure as well. I do like libraries to be successes and people to be reasonably satisfied with their purchases.

I think this might be the poorest reception of any OT instrument....in fact, I'm almost positive this is an anomalous reception among the Arks...initial responses to the other Arks were overwhelmingly positive...and quite fast.

I think this might be the poorest reception of any OT instrument....in fact, I'm almost positive this is an anomalous reception among the Arks...initial responses to the other Arks were overwhelmingly positive...and quite fast.
That's my sense too. From the general lack of comment, I'm pretty sure the library is at least showing itself to be a bit of an enigma so that folks are needing to figure out what it is and what it adds before commenting. @zimm83 seems to have an angle on it and the second excerpt from @AlexanderSchiborr showed some distinctive potential for the library. So far, though I'm not seeing or hearing anything that makes me think I made the wrong decision to hold off buying.

Well, this thread has been remarkably quiet for a major library that just dropped.

Not really. Most people (including me) probably have other things on their minds than doing demos of this new library right now close to christmas and all. Sorry, but just because I buy a new sample library, my first goal isn't normally to go out and do a demo of it.

Frankly, I see your post more as a way to try to provoke people to do demos, using the device of implying that people are dissatisfied with the product they bought, and therefore don't post demos made with it.

Sorry, that tactic won't work for me, and probably not many others. I know what this library is and what it isn't and it was pretty clear from the demos/screencasts as well. It's a brilliant library by the way. Not something I will use for every piece I do, far from it, but it does certain things very, very well, and adds new possibilities just like the other ARK libraries.

Not really. Most people (including me) probably have other things on their minds than doing demos of this new library right now close to christmas and all. Sorry, but just because I buy a new sample library, my first goal isn't normally to go out and do a demo of it.

Frankly, I see your post more as a way to try to provoke people to do demos, using the device of implying that people are dissatisfied with the product they bought, and therefore don't post demos made with it.

Sorry, that tactic won't work for me, and probably not many others. I know what this library is and what it isn't and it was pretty clear from the demos/screencasts as well. It's a brilliant library by the way. Not something I will use for every piece I do, far from it, but it does certain things very, very well, and adds new possibilities just like the other ARK libraries.
He was making a simple observation, no need to get defensive :).

Glad to hear you enjoy the addition to your collection. Have a great holiday!

While I would certainly like to hear demos and comments, no, that is not my motivation. I'm just noting an asymmetry between the amount of posting here compared to Afflatus, CSB, SStB, Glory Days, or Time Macro after those libraries were released. Given the frenzy of comments leading up to the release, the lack of commentary since has been a bit strange.

While I would certainly like to hear demos and comments, no, that is not my motivation. I'm just noting an asymmetry between the amount of posting here compared to Afflatus, CSB, SStB, Glory Days, or Time Macro after those libraries were released. Given the frenzy of comments leading up to the release, the lack of commentary has been a bit strange.
Two factors, likely:
  1. Holiday season has members preoccupied with other things: travel prep, family time, et al.
  2. Have a hunch there's a lot less early adopters for Ark 4 compared to Arks 1-3, Berlin, and Time Macro. So less sample size to hear from.
Cheers.

Two factors, likely:
  1. Holiday season has members preoccupied with other things: travel prep, family time, et al.
  2. Have a hunch there's a lot less early adopters for Ark 4 compared to Arks 1-3, Berlin, and Time Macro. So less sample size to hear from.
Cheers.
That would make sense, though with respect to (1), the conversation on SStB and CSB is still going reasonably strong. The smaller sample size would, however, probably be enough to explain it, especially if the library is indeed a bit of an enigma—sounds great, lots of potential but not entirely sure how to tap it. I know if I was in that position, it would be hard to formulate a cogent comment.

Oh dear.

Top Bottom