What's new

Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

Good — it's not just me, then. I'm normally seduced by everything OT does and I've loved Arks 1-3, but this one isn't moving me for some reason. I wish I could buy the strings portion separately, frankly.

As a quasi-noob trying to decide on this (I love the tone compared to my only library EWSO Gold, which I dislike because of the wetness) what might be good alternatives to get a similar powerful, present tone?

BHCT? MA 1/2? SCS? LCSO? BS FC? What about MA 4 with one of the Inspires? MA 4 with L&S CS? Or some other combination (looking for dry and present, with an emphasis on strings). Thanks!

Last edited:
As a quasi-noob trying to decide on this (I love the tone compared to my only library EWSO Gold, which I dislike because of the wetness) what might be good alternatives to get a similar powerful, present tone?

BHCT? MA 1/2? SCS? LCSO? BS FC? What about MA 4 with one of the Inspires? MA 4 with L&S CS? Or some other combination (looking for dry and present, with an emphasis on strings). Thanks!
LASS for dry strings

I wonder if their huge sales lately are having an impact on peoples perception of value on this latest Metropolis Ark?
We'll see how their sales go. I suspect they miscalculated, and were too clever by half trying to avoid duplicating and/or competing with their own other libraries.

I think if they'd offered ensemble upper woodwinds in sections (mf to power legato, with all the overblown stuff) and muted brass (done however they needed to distinguish them from the muted Berlin Brass) they'd have had a real winner. As it is, other than the strings, the picc/flute patch, the woodwind ensemble patch, and the choral shouts I'm just not sure what I'd use. And I already have several woodwind ensemble patches that do the flute, oboe, clarinet thing, so I'm not even sure that would get any use. Is that enough to justify the cost? Well, if the strings were going to become my go-to string library, maybe. But I don't see that happening. I'm always open to modifying my current impression as I learn more, so we'll see.

Do the current Previews /Videos provide solid enough content and presentation to have a fair sense of what the release will actually be ?
Hate like heck to pass on this Intro cost and then have early adopters rave about most of Ark4 …. :unsure:

Do the current Previews /Videos provide solid enough content and presentation to have a fair sense of what the release will actually be ?
Hate like heck to pass on this Intro cost and then have early adopters rave about most of Ark4 …. :unsure:
I think reasonably, but we don't have a good sense of how it works contextually, since there is only one demo. I suspect the high volume choral sounds might cause some issues with voices popping out in annoying ways, but it's hard to say from what we saw. It's really hard to know what to make of those novel combination patches until you see someone sit down with it and try to make it work. It will be most interesting to see someone build a track with the library, which will be most revealing about its real capabilities and limitations, but that won't happen until after the pre-release price expires to the introductory price.

I think if they'd offered ensemble upper woodwinds in sections (mf to power legato, with all the overblown stuff) and muted brass (done however they needed to distinguish them from the muted Berlin Brass) they'd have had a real winner. As it is, other than the strings, the picc/flute patch, the woodwind ensemble patch, and the choral shouts I'm just not sure what I'd use.
You hit the nail on the head. +1
Maybe Ark5? Lol The sounds i do like are so good though that i'm still considering...

Now questioning my personal, evolving mindset …. re. top tier providers. One side trusts their talent and capabilities. Other side wonders if they could stumble hugely … especially coming from recognized successes with Arks 1,2,3. Not saying flawless; and not expecting flawless.

If 'comfortable' purchases included Arks 2, 3, 4, then easy to just trust and move forward.
'Comfortable' purchases actually include one or two Arks. Asking 'what do I need' does not help, as expectations are longer-term. Ark 2 is a done deal _ 3 or 4 is still foggy as heck.

Seems like many feel a solid complementary relationship with Arks 1 & 2.
One 'fuzziness' here is whether there is any such tie with 2 & 3, or if itis more 3 & 4 ?

Now questioning my personal, evolving mindset …. re. top tier providers. One side trusts their talent and capabilities. Other side wonders if they could stumble hugely … especially coming from recognized successes with Arks 1,2,3. Not saying flawless; and not expecting flawless.

If 'comfortable' purchases included Arks 2, 3, 4, then easy to just trust and move forward.
'Comfortable' purchases actually include one or two Arks. Asking 'what do I need' does not help, as expectations are longer-term. Ark 2 is a done deal _ 3 or 4 is still foggy as heck.

Seems like many feel a solid complementary relationship with Arks 1 & 2.
One 'fuzziness' here is whether there is any such tie with 2 & 3, or if itis more 3 & 4 ?
I think Ark 1-3 are a tie-in package - not sure about 4 and it feels like OT were not sure what to do for this release which may explain some of the weird combinations. OT probably should have focused on a choir library, or made choir the focus for Ark 4.

Most of these combos sound great to me. And I've come to realize that real combos sound so much better than separate instruments. The 2Trp, Fl-Picc, & the Fl-Ob-Cl combos here make it worth the price on their own.

Monday, Dec 17, drives the Ark3 selection. Close tug-o-war vs Ark4.

…… and now @ jamwerks and @ Alex Niedt grease the Ark 4 gears ……….;)

Last edited:
I think Ark 1-3 are a tie-in package - not sure about 4 and it feels like OT were not sure what to do for this release which may explain some of the weird combinations. OT probably should have focused on a choir library, or made choir the focus for Ark 4.
Exactly. OT absolutely kills it with their choirs, and I have no idea why they haven't made a full fledged choir library yet.

Ark 4 seems a bit unnecessary and out of place, especially when everyone is dying for OT to make a choir library.

Exactly. OT absolutely kills it with their choirs, and I have no idea why they haven't made a full fledged choir library yet.

Ark 4 seems a bit unnecessary when everyone is dying for OT to make a choir library.

It really is bizarre. They even admitted in the first Ark 4 walkthrough something to the effect of "we know everyone loves our choirs" ...

It really is bizarre. They even admitted in the first Ark 4 walkthrough something to the effect of "we know everyone loves our choirs" ...
ARk 4 is the upront of the Arks. When you have ark1 2 and 3 you can add the "chamber size " detailed sound you won't find in the other arks. Detail and combos is what you get. And some artics fit with ark3 artics.
We all know that 2 walkthroughs don't show what the library is capable of....Think of DJ's reviews of arks. Much more detailed and....in action.
And with all the mics, you can get whatever sound you like....
They haven't shown us the orchestra mix sections...and the rest of the multis.
We will see.....but i have never been disappointed by Orchestral Tools.

I think next year we will have Berlin Choirs...

Yes their choir sounds are among the best and also a really strong selling point for IV. I could see them purposely never doing a dedicated choir, and doing several more arcs, little by little completing their "choir library" with each arc!

Regarding the Berlin series, after listening to the strings,
I feel like they might make Berlin Chamber Strings. If they are, they need to implement that aggressive bowing they have in Ark 4 and of course power legato as well.

The strings sound nice in this library, although I'm not ready to spend $400 just on strings.
But I would be interested in a dedicated string library which sounds like this. (and I thought I had enough string libraries....)

I listened to both walkthrus and it sounds awesome to me. Don't understand the criticism, but that's me. Compared to BHCT i also have, it seems they sound very different. Between ark 1, 2, 3, Spitfire symohonic orchestra, chamber strings, BHCT, tundra etc - can't think of any of my libraries that can duplicate the sounds coming from ark 4.

I listened to both walkthrus and it sounds awesome to me. Don't understand the criticism, but that's me. Compared to BHCT i also have, it seems they sound very different. Between ark 1, 2, 3, Spitfire symohonic orchestra, chamber strings, BHCT, tundra etc - can't think of any of my libraries that can duplicate the sounds coming from ark 4.

I guess it just depends on what kinds of sounds interest different people. To me I do think it all sounds really good ... but I just personally don't see the utility in just about any of the "combo" patches. The strings and the choirs are what seem like they'd be really useful to me. I think many others feel similarly. As such I think the criticism by and large is less about the sound itself and more about the utility of that sound for one's personal use, if you get what I'm saying.

I guess it just depends on what kinds of sounds interest different people.
I really agree. The strings are versatile and the combo patches within the sections (combinations within woodwinds or within brass section) also seem useful, but the blends I think really would depend on the user.
But I understand their direction.
If they keep on doing simple combinations within the woodwind/brass sections, they're eventually going to clash against their Berlin series. (which they obviously would want to avoid)

As such I think the criticism by and large is less about the sound itself and more about the utility of that sound for one's personal use, if you get what I'm saying.
Yes, my concern is also with the utility of the combo patches. I'm also concerned about some of the louder choral patches. I'll be curious what people think as they start working with them. I also dislike the sound of the power legato, but that's likely a personal thing.
If they keep on doing simple combinations within the woodwind/brass sections, they're eventually going to clash against their Berlin series. (which they obviously would want to avoid)
I don't know, constructing peculiar combinations doesn't strike me as a good way to avoid the problem of competing with their own library. Here again, I'll be interested in what people make of the combinations once they start working with the library.

Top Bottom