What's new

Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

MartinH.

Well the thing is it's one thing for it to happen on the walkthroughs for the first Ark let's say, but the fact that the mistake keeps repeating? It would almost make one think that the OT guys are even watching the vids before releasing ... which wouldn't really make any sense. I mean it's not a big deal of course, but it's just ... bizarre.
Or maybe they said "fuck it, it's good enough" because it would cause a delay of 1 or 2 days to get the voice actor to re-record a couple of errors he made, re-edit and re-upload the video while the vi:c thread is wrecking havoc and screaming for a walkthrough? I'd rather have such a video sooner than have it more polished, so I'm willing to cut them lots of slack there.

Satorious

Not been following in too much detail, but just watched/listened to the walk-throughs. From what I heard I'm slightly relieved, it didn't demonstrate enough to properly sway me. There were some parts I liked but it ultimately came down to getting $400 of value out of this library (either in terms of offering something amazing/new, something versatile or speeding up my workflow). I got the sense that a number of these patches aren't going to work well on faster passages. I need to save some money after all these Black Friday/Christmas deals, so I'll tune back in after it's released to see if I missed something obvious. For the money, I'd rather pay a little more to know it's a good choice than to rush into it...

sekkosiki

Not been following in too much detail, but just watched/listened to the walk-throughs. From what I heard I'm slightly relieved, it didn't demonstrate enough to properly sway me. There were some parts I liked but it ultimately came down to getting $400 of value out of this library (either in terms of offering something amazing/new, something versatile or speeding up my workflow). I got the sense that a number of these patches aren't going to work well on faster passages. I need to save some money after all these Black Friday/Christmas deals, so I'll tune back in after it's released to see if I missed something obvious. For the money, I'd rather pay a little more to know it's a good choice than to rush into it...
I have similar thoughts. I've watched the trailer and walkthroughs, and I haven't heard anything for which I would pay the price. I like some parts of it a lot, e.g. strings, but I wouldn't need the combinations for my writing style at least for now. They sound great, but I think I'd like to separate the parts in some passages. The choirs especially men sound weird in higher dynamics.

I'll wait for the next year's black friday :).

aelwyn

Not been following in too much detail, but just watched/listened to the walk-throughs. From what I heard I'm slightly relieved, it didn't demonstrate enough to properly sway me...
Good — it's not just me, then. I'm normally seduced by everything OT does and I've loved Arks 1-3, but this one isn't moving me for some reason. I wish I could buy the strings portion separately, frankly. I hardly spent anything on libraries for this year's crop of Black Friday sales, so I'm not even struggling with guilt about overspending... but Ark 4 sort of seems overpriced. Even with the pre-order discount. I'm surprised to feel that way, given my past enthusiasm for the series.

tim727

Or maybe they said "fuck it, it's good enough" because it would cause a delay of 1 or 2 days to get the voice actor to re-record a couple of errors he made, re-edit and re-upload the video while the vi:c thread is wrecking havoc and screaming for a walkthrough? I'd rather have such a video sooner than have it more polished, so I'm willing to cut them lots of slack there.
Perhaps. And yeah if it's between correcting it or a delay then I probably agree. I'm just saying that if it were my company ... after the mess-up on the first Ark 1 walkthroughs I would have notified the guy of the mistake and before he recorded himself for the Ark 4 walkthrough I would have been like "Hey Joe, remember what I told you about the pronunciation of those words a couple years ago? Let's be sure to get it right this time." Apparently that didn't happen though :laugh:

tim727

On a completely separate note it looks like a lot of people on this forum are not particularly psyched about this lib. If this forum is a representative population of their users (which I actually believe it is, though I could be wrong) then it would appear that their sales of this Ark will fall far behind the others (or at least 1 and 2).

Forecheck

Good — it's not just me, then. I'm normally seduced by everything OT does and I've loved Arks 1-3, but this one isn't moving me for some reason. I wish I could buy the strings portion separately, frankly.
As a quasi-noob trying to decide on this (I love the tone compared to my only library EWSO Gold, which I dislike because of the wetness) what might be good alternatives to get a similar powerful, present tone?

BHCT? MA 1/2? SCS? LCSO? BS FC? What about MA 4 with one of the Inspires? MA 4 with L&S CS? Or some other combination (looking for dry and present, with an emphasis on strings). Thanks!

Last edited:

Kony

Bad ape
As a quasi-noob trying to decide on this (I love the tone compared to my only library EWSO Gold, which I dislike because of the wetness) what might be good alternatives to get a similar powerful, present tone?

BHCT? MA 1/2? SCS? LCSO? BS FC? What about MA 4 with one of the Inspires? MA 4 with L&S CS? Or some other combination (looking for dry and present, with an emphasis on strings). Thanks!
LASS for dry strings

jbuhler

I wonder if their huge sales lately are having an impact on peoples perception of value on this latest Metropolis Ark?
We'll see how their sales go. I suspect they miscalculated, and were too clever by half trying to avoid duplicating and/or competing with their own other libraries.

I think if they'd offered ensemble upper woodwinds in sections (mf to power legato, with all the overblown stuff) and muted brass (done however they needed to distinguish them from the muted Berlin Brass) they'd have had a real winner. As it is, other than the strings, the picc/flute patch, the woodwind ensemble patch, and the choral shouts I'm just not sure what I'd use. And I already have several woodwind ensemble patches that do the flute, oboe, clarinet thing, so I'm not even sure that would get any use. Is that enough to justify the cost? Well, if the strings were going to become my go-to string library, maybe. But I don't see that happening. I'm always open to modifying my current impression as I learn more, so we'll see.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Do the current Previews /Videos provide solid enough content and presentation to have a fair sense of what the release will actually be ?
Hate like heck to pass on this Intro cost and then have early adopters rave about most of Ark4 …. :unsure:

jbuhler

Do the current Previews /Videos provide solid enough content and presentation to have a fair sense of what the release will actually be ?
Hate like heck to pass on this Intro cost and then have early adopters rave about most of Ark4 …. :unsure:
I think reasonably, but we don't have a good sense of how it works contextually, since there is only one demo. I suspect the high volume choral sounds might cause some issues with voices popping out in annoying ways, but it's hard to say from what we saw. It's really hard to know what to make of those novel combination patches until you see someone sit down with it and try to make it work. It will be most interesting to see someone build a track with the library, which will be most revealing about its real capabilities and limitations, but that won't happen until after the pre-release price expires to the introductory price.

richardt4520

I think if they'd offered ensemble upper woodwinds in sections (mf to power legato, with all the overblown stuff) and muted brass (done however they needed to distinguish them from the muted Berlin Brass) they'd have had a real winner. As it is, other than the strings, the picc/flute patch, the woodwind ensemble patch, and the choral shouts I'm just not sure what I'd use.
You hit the nail on the head. +1
Maybe Ark5? Lol The sounds i do like are so good though that i'm still considering...

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Now questioning my personal, evolving mindset …. re. top tier providers. One side trusts their talent and capabilities. Other side wonders if they could stumble hugely … especially coming from recognized successes with Arks 1,2,3. Not saying flawless; and not expecting flawless.

If 'comfortable' purchases included Arks 2, 3, 4, then easy to just trust and move forward.
'Comfortable' purchases actually include one or two Arks. Asking 'what do I need' does not help, as expectations are longer-term. Ark 2 is a done deal _ 3 or 4 is still foggy as heck.

Seems like many feel a solid complementary relationship with Arks 1 & 2.
One 'fuzziness' here is whether there is any such tie with 2 & 3, or if itis more 3 & 4 ?

Kony

Bad ape
Now questioning my personal, evolving mindset …. re. top tier providers. One side trusts their talent and capabilities. Other side wonders if they could stumble hugely … especially coming from recognized successes with Arks 1,2,3. Not saying flawless; and not expecting flawless.

If 'comfortable' purchases included Arks 2, 3, 4, then easy to just trust and move forward.
'Comfortable' purchases actually include one or two Arks. Asking 'what do I need' does not help, as expectations are longer-term. Ark 2 is a done deal _ 3 or 4 is still foggy as heck.

Seems like many feel a solid complementary relationship with Arks 1 & 2.
One 'fuzziness' here is whether there is any such tie with 2 & 3, or if itis more 3 & 4 ?
I think Ark 1-3 are a tie-in package - not sure about 4 and it feels like OT were not sure what to do for this release which may explain some of the weird combinations. OT probably should have focused on a choir library, or made choir the focus for Ark 4.

jamwerks

Most of these combos sound great to me. And I've come to realize that real combos sound so much better than separate instruments. The 2Trp, Fl-Picc, & the Fl-Ob-Cl combos here make it worth the price on their own.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Monday, Dec 17, drives the Ark3 selection. Close tug-o-war vs Ark4.

…… and now @ jamwerks and @ Alex Niedt grease the Ark 4 gears ……….;)

Last edited:

Mike Fox

I think Ark 1-3 are a tie-in package - not sure about 4 and it feels like OT were not sure what to do for this release which may explain some of the weird combinations. OT probably should have focused on a choir library, or made choir the focus for Ark 4.
Exactly. OT absolutely kills it with their choirs, and I have no idea why they haven't made a full fledged choir library yet.

Ark 4 seems a bit unnecessary and out of place, especially when everyone is dying for OT to make a choir library.

tim727

Exactly. OT absolutely kills it with their choirs, and I have no idea why they haven't made a full fledged choir library yet.

Ark 4 seems a bit unnecessary when everyone is dying for OT to make a choir library.
It really is bizarre. They even admitted in the first Ark 4 walkthrough something to the effect of "we know everyone loves our choirs" ...

zimm83

It really is bizarre. They even admitted in the first Ark 4 walkthrough something to the effect of "we know everyone loves our choirs" ...
ARk 4 is the upront of the Arks. When you have ark1 2 and 3 you can add the "chamber size " detailed sound you won't find in the other arks. Detail and combos is what you get. And some artics fit with ark3 artics.
We all know that 2 walkthroughs don't show what the library is capable of....Think of DJ's reviews of arks. Much more detailed and....in action.
And with all the mics, you can get whatever sound you like....
They haven't shown us the orchestra mix sections...and the rest of the multis.
We will see.....but i have never been disappointed by Orchestral Tools.

I think next year we will have Berlin Choirs...

Top Bottom