Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Fry777, Dec 6, 2018.

1. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Having Ark1, many posts /comments over time make adding Ark2 very comfortable ….as enhancing /complementing Ark1.
    Ark3 has been less clear …… in terms of how it enhances /rounds out the Ark concept.
    With Ark4 now here, I'm finding it tougher now to go from 2-to-3 vs 2-to-4 ...
    ( Now using: Ark1; BO_Inspire 1 & 2; Time Macro )

Is this more obvious to those who have 1-2-3 and considering Ark 4 ?

2. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don't think the concept of Ark 4 is at all obvious other than being oriented around smaller forces, perhaps a kind of POWER CHAMBER ORCHESTRA with POWER LEGATO. But that's just an inkling and I really have little idea what Ark 4 even is at this point, especially how it will complement/supplement the other Arks. It does look like Ark 4 will be more flexible than Ark 3, and so potentially more useful for me (though many say they use Ark 3 all the time, I haven't found I turn to it often).

Jonas Hallstrom and sostenuto like this.
  3. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    There’s a sense that Sasha’s demos almost define the OT sound for me, insofar as I’ve got my head around exactly what the OT sound is. Ark is always a bit too epic for me, although Time Macro, which I thing we can reasonably understand as a conceptual descendent of Ark 3, is something I’m really coming to love, although after quite a lot of effort to figure out what it’s even about. This new Ark - no idea what it’s meant to be about. Even less than my during my initial near total puzzlement over Time Macro. But I’m very curious about what the vision behind it is. (Ie, accepting that super aggressive chamber ensembles is a thing now - what the hell kind of is it, actually? Should be fun to find out).

OT have had some dreadful, if stylish and usually kind of fun, marketing buzzwords lately, that I thing is, like any marketing really , entirely worth mocking at least a little. But none of this diminished the quality of their work.

A nice thing about spitfire demos is that after a while you can really get a sense of the the library from knowing their approaches. Andy is always hyper virtuosic. While Christian’s demos are virtuosic, not so much in the the complexities of their harmonies and such, but in the way he crafts the sonority (I don’t want to say sound design, because it’s more than that, and it’s a dimension hugely important to libraries like Time Macro and, well, most spitfire libraries). Demos by Oliver and Paul come in at varoius points on the Christian to Andy spectrum. And then there’s Homay’s demos ... and I particularly love her sense of texture, which isn’t quite the same as Christian’s deep sense of sonority, but it has singlehandedly sold on libirares like LCO (though it still took me a long time to get my head aroud exactly what it’s about).

I’d love to see what kind of demos Sasha and the OT team could come up with for things like the Olafur Evo. But if OT really wants to sell me on Ark2 - which is the one I’m most intrigued by, then, well I suppose it would be too much to hope that the spitfire team might all contibute demos? And an Andy demo for Ark4 would be amazing as well.

Looking forward to the actual OT demos of this particular OT product also, of course :)

4. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Oh I'm sure almost no one here thinks it's a great idea, but everyone is talking about it, and it has become an instant meme that gets brought up in other threads as well. "There is no bad PR" or something like that. Undecided people tend to buy the familiar brand...

jbuhler likes this.
  5. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    8Dio's Wrenchenspeil is still available at $8. It should have all the wrenches you need without going to the garage :D

6. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    reserving judgement until walkthroughs :)

7. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Well, the problem with putting contrasting pairs of instruments together, beyond simply forcing me into instrumentation options, is that it also makes it very difficult to stem projects correctly.

I am mostly writing library music, where these things can become very problematic if a potential client wants just the brass or woodwinds...

SimonCharlesHanna likes this.
  8. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    From their marketing: "All performed and mixed in such a way that the listener perceives them as a single sound."

See what I'm saying? My understanding is that they want us to see "green" instead of "yellow+blue".

dzilizzi and MartinH. like this.
  9. Brian Nowak

Jan 9, 2018
    Well... I'm not certain a prospective client wanting to license my track will feel the same way if I tell them "Oh it's not a mix of bassoon and horn... it's a... BASSOONANDHORN. You see I put them together so it's different!"

LOL

10. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah I personally am not a fan of forced orchestration. Even the 8ves shit me off quite a bit.

11. Brian Nowak

Jan 9, 2018
    I can get on with octave strings since they are so ubiquitous with powerful string writing. In fact, I only wish they made all the Ark 1 high string articulations were available in octaves, as the string range doesn't go high enough to double octaves on the unison patches.

It becomes a bit different when you start talking about instruments within different families altogether, though.

12. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Great point Lee! You've articulated exactly how I feel about all of these "designer" libraries.

The solution? Color-code your socket wrenches. Works great. But for libraries, I'm a bit less sure of an answer.

13. ChazC

ChazC Cryogenically frozen in 1986 and just thawed out

Jun 8, 2015
    Melbourne
    I wrote a pretty long post about this very thought process yesterday but deleted it as it turned into quite a bit of a rant! Not putting up detailed info from the outset immediately makes me think "what are they trying to hide?".

We're not talking small change with these libraries and having only a day or so to decide will 9 times out of 10 result in me giving it a miss.

I fancied Glory Days - not because I would necessarily get my money back for it (it took me two years of owning Swing! before it paid for itself) but it was a "want" library rather than "need". Because of the lack of a walkthrough up front I lost total interest in it & didn't buy it.

Now, had a walkthrough with a really good example of it being used in context been shown more or less straightaway then I very probably would have dropped for it there and then. I'm in pretty much the same boat with MA4 now.

I like all my OT stuff but the way they go about marketing new stuff really hacks me off - it's not just OT either, a lot of developers seem to think it's the way to do things. Personally, I disagree but they obviously make their money so who am I to argue?

14. lumcas

lumcas Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up on the Wrenchenspiel, will just be noodling with it tomorrow. It might help me to decide which new OT libraries will I get during the sale. The Wrenchespiel is an ideal library, works well for my needs... decisions, decisions

dzilizzi likes this.
  15. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    It is much easier to decide to buy an $8 library than a 350 euro one. No matter how good. :)

lumcas and MartinH. like this.
  16. Naro

Naro New Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Please forgive me if I'm off track in logic here; it’s late and I should’ve taken my brain to bed hours ago. I have, as yet, no OT libraries, and are only just now beginning to seriously look into them since becoming aware of the current sale at NI (and now the ARK 4 pre-order special). As such, I’m barely familiar with the OT philosophy, or method to their products' production. But I've read through this thread thus far and have noticed recurrent expressions of curiosity and/or occasional bemusement at the terms “Power Legato,” and “Power Sustains.” At first thought I’m assuming that they refer to something in principle akin to what is commonly referred to in guitar music as power chords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord#Analysis

“. . . in a power chord, the ratio between the frequencies of the root and fifth are very close to the just interval 3:2. When played through distortion, the intermodulation leads to the production of partials closely related in frequency to the harmonics of the original two notes, producing a more coherent sound. The intermodulation makes the spectrum of the sound expand in both directions, and with enough distortion, a new fundamental frequency component appears an octave lower than the root note of the chord played without distortion, giving a richer, more bassy and more subjectively 'powerful' sound than the undistorted signal. Even when played without distortion, the simple ratios between the harmonics in the notes of a power chord can give a stark and powerful sound, owing to the resultant tone effect."

17. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    For those that were curious, part 1 of 2 is here:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  18. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    well we found out what Power Legato is - rough and loud sounding transitions. How anticlimactic :)

19. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    sounds nice but not seeing anything here that's really grabbing me (personally).

The choirs are interesting, though.

dzilizzi likes this.
  20. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    A lot more detail in the strings than the other Ark libraries. I haven't got a good sense of the range of expression in the strings yet and whether it can help fix the issues I have with other Ark string patches or blend usefully with other string libraries.