Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Fry777, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I'm sure they will release some walkthroughs and more demos before the pre-order period is over, but they cut it very close with the Glory Days walkthroughs and I suspect we'll see similar timing here. The big problem for me is that I'm just not yet seeing the concept holding this library together and it makes it hard for me to decide whether it will be a useful addition. I really need a lot more data.

ChazC and Mystic like this.
  2. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

OT’s marketing is definitely different compared to most companies. I’d love to have a walkthrough on the day of the trailer release, but I think the reason they don’t do it is because they want the word to spread and discussion to build around what the product could possibly be about. I do think they missed the mark on Glory Days where they uploaded the final part of the walkthrough on the day of release, but that’s quite atypical and I don’t expect that here.

3. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    This is one thing that truly pisses me off about how some of these companies are doing things now and I hope OT sees this thread and takes the hint for future releases because it seems to be the same thing every time. Get your walkthrough done before you put it up for sale so we can see exactly what we're paying a substantial amount of money for rather than hoping we rely on the brand. In many cases when I see companies do the whole "walkthrough coming later" spiel, I end up asking myself what the company doesn't want us to see and hopes we spend the money before we see it. This is a practice that absolutely needs to stop. The minute a company asks a person to spend money, they need to show what we are spending money on rather than asking us to trust them. Especially when it comes down to the final day or so of special pricing.

ChazC, Kony, lumcas and 2 others like this.
  4. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    To me, the concept is:

-Instruments with full dynamic range, legato, staccs (previous Arks handicap each instrument, either with dynamics, no legato, or shorts but no longs). So more useful and self-contained, rather than having to go to Ark 1 for loud, Ark 2 for quiet, Ark 3 for shorts/repetitions.

-Chamber-ish strings - VLN1, VLA, VLC + CB, each with an emphasis on accents (martele, overpressure, upbeats, trills). Each with slurred stacc too!

-Blended winds/brass - I think the key to understanding this is that OT wants us to think of each of these as one new instrument, rather than a blend of x + y +z instruments. From their marketing: "All performed and mixed in such a way that the listener perceives them as a single sound." There are only so many wind and brass instruments they can sell us, which is why they might be trying to expand into selling these cocktails. The importance of the small section is so that it actually comes across as if it's from a single new instrument.

The choir sounds like Ark 2, but with shouts. Power staccato.

Agreed. Also, please give Chris Siu a pre-release copy to do a video walkthrough while pre-release pricing is still available.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    So is the idea supposed to be to use the front row players as the glue to hold Arks 1 and 2 together better? I mean the strings from Arks 1 and 2 have so many other issues that I don't see how this will accomplish that. That's not really a knock on the strings from Arks 1 and 2, it's just that they are limited (which is what you'd expect from a library that is not a dedicated string library). And I see something more like a very aggressive chamber sound, yielding the possibility, I suppose, of a kind of POWER DIVISI as a complement to Arks 1 and 2 and the POWER TUTTI you get from some of the Ark 3 multis. We'll see what they do with the softer dynamics.

Two big sounds lacking from the Arks so far were upper woodwinds and muted brass. So we kind of get that here in odd but intriguing combination, though I'm surprised they didn't follow the concept of the rest of the series and do large ensemble versions of flutes, clarinets, and oboes. They could have done some really interesting things with muted brass, which I think is generally neglected in sample libraries, but they were probably trying to avoid direct competition with their Berlin Brass muted brass. Still I would have welcomed a very aggressive muted ensemble brass.

Hopefully there is more coherence to the choir here than this and that it offers something usefully distinct from the choirs in Ark 1 and 2.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  6. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Me neither.

7. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I think they want us to consider these new instruments, rather than combos. Obviously, we'll need to hear them first to be sold on that, since the articulation lists PDF can't really convey a new sound.

Ironically, they stopped giving the ensembles goofy names like they did in Arks 1 & 2 (e.g. PFARRACKER STRINGS) but it would make the most sense to use those invented names for blends if they really want them to come across as new instruments. Rather than a cocktail of, say, Contrabassoon + Euphonium + Tuba, call it OZYMANDIAS LOWS or somesuch.

Kony, Zoot_Rollo and whiskers like this.
  8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    But we are getting POWER LEGATO, so there's that!

I actually miss the goofy names. It was part of the charm of Arks 1 & 2. Also OZYMANDIAS LOWS sounds so much cooler than Contrabassoon + Euphonium + Tuba.

9. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

I think it sounds amazing! Very clean, focused sound.

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  10. Breaker

Breaker Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I think they ran out of street names around Teldex, hence no more goofy names.

11. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Honestly, I'm surprised at all the breathless admiration for the trailer's sound. I think it's a B-plus at best.

The writing is very engaging, though -- a nice composition.

whiskers and storyteller like this.
  12. JW

JW Member

Dec 28, 2013
    B-plus at best? Describe what you feel is lacking.

richardt4520 likes this.
  13. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I think the trailer is fine for what it is, just not especially revealing about the potential of the library.

14. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I don't like to disparage anything, but I am quite surprised at the enthusiastic response. Sonically, it reveals itself over and over as fake / sampled. I do think it's pretty good -- I don't regard a B-plus as failing; quite the opposite.

That said, I think Andy Blaney's demos for Spitfire blow the doors off this trailer, nice though the composing is.

15. dodecabilly

dodecabilly New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I am on a fence to buy this one, although I already have BHCT. I think it would actually complement BHCT, in a way. I am waiting for the walkthrough as well in order to make a final decision, but only if they show it before the release...

16. lumcas

lumcas Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    The history keeps repeating itself over and over. If I remember correctly the thread about Ark 3 was very similar to this one. We also had to wait for a proper walkthrough.
    Each and every post in this thread be it a negative or a positive one (including mine) says: “This has caught my attention, will they make it again or will they fail? What’s it gonna be like?” I might not like this marketing approach but judging from the number of posts in this thread, just a short teaser works for OT and helps to build that inevitable hype quite well.

17. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I bet someone at OT's headquarters is telling the rest of the team right now "See guys, I told you it was a great idea to call it that!"

Lee Blaske, jbuhler and dzilizzi like this.
  18. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Maybe. I think it's silly and a bit precious that has given all the citations of it an edge of satire.

19. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don't recall the sequence of release of walkthroughs for Ark 3, but I do remember thinking I had a good idea what the library was aiming at. The same was true of Time Macro. This one, not so much. That's not a bad thing in itself, but it means it will likely take some time to sort out whether this is something I will find useful.

20. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

The demo sounds good to me (as OT demos always do). What I'm scratching my head about, though, is that considering this is a pretty big grab bag things, are these articulations markedly different than what we may already have in the Berlin series instruments?

I may be interested in this library, but I wonder if this scattering of resources in so many places for similar instruments really complicates the process of composing. I may already have a template with Berlin series instruments loaded, but if I want to go louder, I need to rummage around in file folders and locate these louder samplers. I kind of thinking of it like having a socket wrench set in the basement, but then when I'm working on a project, I realize that the size I need is out in the garage, and I have to go search for that. ;)