What's new

Orchestral Tools: Junkie XL Brass—new update for solo horn and horn sections available

First of all, the quality of life features shown here look amazing. It looks - if the gamers amongst us will forgive me for saying this phrase - it just works. :P

But I do have a question: How would cross fading between articulations work in this player?

I wish Bethesda still made good games... hopefully Starfield is a return to form, nobody wants this online trash out of them!

Sorry... off topic...

That French Horn patch sounds pretty aggressive and it's only the a4, can't wait to hear how crazy the a12 is!!

When your horns play 4 individual lines the 4 times solo horns works excellent.

The problem is the fact that it's quite usual in 4-part horn voicings that occasionally two instruments share a note. With using the same sample one has to use workarounds to avoid phasings.
That's why having more than 1 solo horns is quite essential.

The problem is the fact that it's quite usual in 4-part horn voicings that occasionally two instruments share a note. With using the same sample one has to use workarounds to avoid phasings.
That's why having more than 1 solo horns is quite essential.

You are absolutely right about this... Here is a good trick that has helped me many times before... To avoid phasing while using two of the same instruments do this;

Load instrument one eg. solo horn... this is your principle horn... Load the instrument again and tune it a half step down on the sampler. In your midi track settings transpose one half step up for your midi track...

When you now play a g4 concert pitch on both horns your principle horn will be play the recorded sounding pitch g4... The second horn ACTUALLY plays the PLAYED note Ab 4 concert pitch but tuned down half step...

This will avoid phasing...

Its the best trick around until we would release 4 separate horn player solo patches..

Good luck!

You are absolutely right about this... Here is a good trick that has helped me many times before... To avoid phasing while using two of the same instruments do this;

Load instrument one eg. solo horn... this is your principle horn... Load the instrument again and tune it a half step down on the sampler. In your midi track settings transpose one half step up for your midi track...

When you now play a g4 concert pitch on both horns your principle horn will be play the recorded sounding pitch g4... The second horn ACTUALLY plays the PLAYED note Ab 4 concert pitch but tuned down half step...

Its the best trick around until we would release 4 separate horn player solo patches..

Good luck!
Also the midi in your edit or score window will show the correct notes because of the track header midi modification

That's how i was doing it 15 years ago :) But it's really not a workflow i liked...

Therefore my advice for further versions of Junkie Brass would just be to take a second solo horn into consideration...

Good luck!
I gave this a try, but both Inside ans SPAN tell me it's even more out of phase if I do that. But i'm no audio expert.

I gave this a try, but both Inside ans SPAN tell me it's even more out of phase if I do that. But i'm no audio expert.

If you only detune by 1 semi tone, you need libraries that sampled every semi tone and not stretched samples accross 2 semitones to cut their workload in half like most do. You need to detune by 2 semi tones to make sure you're getting different samples on some/most libraries.
Trust your ears what sounds better. I'm not sure SPAN is the right tool to make a decision here.

This looks so awesome, seriously. But I'm curious as to the purpose of being able to extended the range of instruments?
Sometimes you just need to edge out of the playable range, this is a feature in some libs like Jaeger and Metro Ark. It's also beneficial for sound design. I do it MA2, where you can drop the basses by a semitone or two.

Sometimes you just need to edge out of the playable range, this is a feature in some libs like Jaeger and Metro Ark. It's also beneficial for sound design. I do it MA2, where you can drop the basses by a semitone or two.

Interesting, could be fun to mess around with!

Good luck!

But it is recorded in wholetone anyway. So basically both come from the same sample^^

The one thing from the videos that I'm still not seeing so far is how you would you save your own settings and presets as in a Kontakt Multi so the next time you load up your instruments, the keyswitches and settings are the same. When working with templates and presets, you need consistency. I always set my keyswitches to the same keys for all libraries being used (depending on instrument range of course). I'm not seeing much point in having the app automatically assign keyswitches for you every time you load up an instrument's articulations (unless maybe your loading an instrument for the first time).

Top Bottom