What's new

Orchestral Tools: Junkie XL Brass—new update for solo horn and horn sections available

JXL Brass doesn't have the separate instruments, I can live with that. However, they must have had a reason to not do it and a solution for people like me who like to write one line per separate instrument.

I imagine composers that want to write out each individual horn part on separate instruments are in the very small minority and it isn't really a use case they've made the library for. This seems like more of a "hold down four notes on a sustain patch for chords" library, like most others.

I imagine composers that want to write out each individual horn part on separate instruments are in the very small minority and it isn't really a use case they've made the library for. This seems like more of a "hold down four notes on a sustain patch for chords" library, like most others.
Well with the new Sine player that OT has it will be fairly easy for them to add an extra horn or two if there’s a lot of desire from the community for it.

I would love to answer questions if you have one!

Its very kind of you to chime in!

I'm sure the demos and walkthroughs will speak for itself, so I'd like to hear/watch them ASAP.

Aside from that, some other people are also asking about how efficient the SINE player is.
I am also curious/concerned how the SINE Player is performing compared to Kontakt. (e.g. is the CPU usage around the same when playing the same amount of voices, etc.)

We can only download the SINE Player right on the day the preorder is going to end.
So the only way to get performance/efficiency information of the SINE player is through you or OT.
But if you are under NDA or something, I understand.

(But to be honest, I also had some thoughts in the back of my head that you might have a special edition tailored for you that runs on Kontakt :emoji_grin:
Because I know you've mentioned many times in your videos that you love Kontakt.)

P.S.
Love your Youtube channel!
Really appreciate you spending the time to create content for us to watch, even though you are a very busy person.

EDITED: Just noticed the news JXL Brass thread on the Sample Talk section. Reading through it right now :)

Last edited:
I would like to hear some tight and fast rhythms to see how they can perform repetitions... So far it seems like at least the Crossfade is excellent

No easier than if it were a Kontakt library.
The problem is doing it that way means you either have to pay for extra licensing and cluttering up someone's Library View, or you have a very easy to Pirate product that requires someone to have the full version of kontakt in order to even use

If orchestral tools wants to add a horns a2 to the shop they can just take a good pair Alcorn players and track it in an evening, and throw it up on the shop

And yes orchestral tools, I am absolutely suggesting an A2 French horn patch

Yeah! But A4 is for three part writing against A12.

C1z7Wtd.jpg

Hello Guffy,

It may work for you, but it will not work just fine for some others. I can go on and explain why it is not ideal having the same solo instrument playing all the parts, but this has been extensively elaborated here. Yes, I am aware that Berlin Brass has that separate lay out, but again, we are talking about the JXL Brass. I own a few Brass libraries, and I like them all for certain things, and no one's perfect.

JXL Brass doesn't have the separate instruments, I can live with that. However, they must have had a reason to not do it and a solution for people like me who like to write one line per separate instrument.

Tom did mention that he's replaced all other brass libraries he has with his new library. The interest here is to have him hopefully share his thoughts on how he uses it or suggests using it in regards to separate voices / divisi, and such.

I Usually record 12 horns in my live recordings so the way that I write is the following; A single 12 horn line like for instance a big heroic melody will be programmed on the a12 patch. A 3 part harmony will be programmed on 3 a4 patches. A 2 part harmony will be programmed on a 2 a6 patch...

For the people that write in smaller sizes like 4 horns etc. You can program a single line on the a4 patch.

When your horns play 4 individual lines the 4 times solo horns works excellent. When you program 4 solo patches as a Unisono line you might get phasing and you will miss the quality of 4 horns playing unisono because they are recorded one by one if that makes sense...

what about 4-part harmony? 16 horns then? (4 x a4)*

better solution: get us a2 and we layer the top note with a4

done: 12 horns; if you insist on a12 being your full section

* I know that's not how sample-math works, but you got the point

I Usually record 12 horns in my live recordings so the way that I write is the following; A single 12 horn line like for instance a big heroic melody will be programmed on the a12 patch. A 3 part harmony will be programmed on 3 a4 patches. A 2 part harmony will be programmed on a 2 a6 patch...

For the people that write in smaller sizes like 4 horns etc. You can program a single line on the a4 patch.

When your horns play 4 individual lines the 4 times solo horns works excellent. When you program 4 solo patches as a Unisono line you might get phasing and you will miss the quality of 4 horns playing unisono because they are recorded one by one if that makes sense...

Tom, this is immensely appreciated -- thank you for your time!

I’ve just released our 3rd episode on youtube, this one goes into articulation management in more detail, key switches, and a few more features (with a little look at Junkie XL Brass).

Demos & walkthroughs for Junkie XL Brass are coming really soon, but also we’re going to put out some more videos on the SINE player so you can get a closer look at it.

Let me know your thoughts, I really want to hear your feedback on this!

Best,
Hendrik

I’ve just released our 3rd episode on youtube, this one goes into articulation management in more detail, key switches, and a few more features (with a little look at Junkie XL Brass).

Demos & walkthroughs for Junkie XL Brass are coming really soon, but also we’re going to put out some more videos on the SINE player so you can get a closer look at it.

Best,
Hendrik

This looks so awesome, seriously. But I'm curious as to the purpose of being able to extended the range of instruments?

Best,
Hendrik

First of all, the quality of life features shown here look amazing. It looks like - if the gamers amongst us would forgive me for saying this phrase - it just works. :P

But I do have a question: How would cross fading between articulations work in this player?

Last edited:
The customizability, various settings under the hood you could change seems really nice.
A lot of settings you can change but intuitive at the same time.

One feature I would appreciate is a Time Machine feature.
Not sure how long it will take to develop one for SINE, but it would be really handy and would be a must if you are going to import all of your Berlin, MA series, since there are TM patches within those libraries.

The shorts in the video sound amazing btw.

Top Bottom