Orchestral Tools - Junkie XL Brass - Pre-Order Started!

Chungus

I’ve just released our 3rd episode on youtube, this one goes into articulation management in more detail, key switches, and a few more features (with a little look at Junkie XL Brass).

Demos & walkthroughs for Junkie XL Brass are coming really soon, but also we’re going to put out some more videos on the SINE player so you can get a closer look at it.

Let me know your thoughts, I really want to hear your feedback on this!

Best,
Hendrik
First of all, the quality of life features shown here look amazing. It looks like - if the gamers amongst us would forgive me for saying this phrase - it just works. :P

But I do have a question: How would cross fading between articulations work in this player?

Last edited:

Raphioli

The customizability, various settings under the hood you could change seems really nice.
A lot of settings you can change but intuitive at the same time.

One feature I would appreciate is a Time Machine feature.
Not sure how long it will take to develop one for SINE, but it would be really handy and would be a must if you are going to import all of your Berlin, MA series, since there are TM patches within those libraries.

The shorts in the video sound amazing btw.

KEM

First of all, the quality of life features shown here look amazing. It looks - if the gamers amongst us will forgive me for saying this phrase - it just works. :P

But I do have a question: How would cross fading between articulations work in this player?
I wish Bethesda still made good games... hopefully Starfield is a return to form, nobody wants this online trash out of them!

KEM

Sorry... off topic...

That French Horn patch sounds pretty aggressive and it's only the a4, can't wait to hear how crazy the a12 is!!

Living Fossil

When your horns play 4 individual lines the 4 times solo horns works excellent.
The problem is the fact that it's quite usual in 4-part horn voicings that occasionally two instruments share a note. With using the same sample one has to use workarounds to avoid phasings.
That's why having more than 1 solo horns is quite essential.

Real JXL

The problem is the fact that it's quite usual in 4-part horn voicings that occasionally two instruments share a note. With using the same sample one has to use workarounds to avoid phasings.
That's why having more than 1 solo horns is quite essential.
You are absolutely right about this... Here is a good trick that has helped me many times before... To avoid phasing while using two of the same instruments do this;

Load instrument one eg. solo horn... this is your principle horn... Load the instrument again and tune it a half step down on the sampler. In your midi track settings transpose one half step up for your midi track...

When you now play a g4 concert pitch on both horns your principle horn will be play the recorded sounding pitch g4... The second horn ACTUALLY plays the PLAYED note Ab 4 concert pitch but tuned down half step...

This will avoid phasing...

Its the best trick around until we would release 4 separate horn player solo patches..

Good luck!

Real JXL

You are absolutely right about this... Here is a good trick that has helped me many times before... To avoid phasing while using two of the same instruments do this;

Load instrument one eg. solo horn... this is your principle horn... Load the instrument again and tune it a half step down on the sampler. In your midi track settings transpose one half step up for your midi track...

When you now play a g4 concert pitch on both horns your principle horn will be play the recorded sounding pitch g4... The second horn ACTUALLY plays the PLAYED note Ab 4 concert pitch but tuned down half step...

Its the best trick around until we would release 4 separate horn player solo patches..

Good luck!
Also the midi in your edit or score window will show the correct notes because of the track header midi modification

Living Fossil

That's how i was doing it 15 years ago :) But it's really not a workflow i liked...

Therefore my advice for further versions of Junkie Brass would just be to take a second solo horn into consideration...

Uiroo

Good luck!
I gave this a try, but both Inside ans SPAN tell me it's even more out of phase if I do that. But i'm no audio expert.

MartinH.

I gave this a try, but both Inside ans SPAN tell me it's even more out of phase if I do that. But i'm no audio expert.
If you only detune by 1 semi tone, you need libraries that sampled every semi tone and not stretched samples accross 2 semitones to cut their workload in half like most do. You need to detune by 2 semi tones to make sure you're getting different samples on some/most libraries.
Trust your ears what sounds better. I'm not sure SPAN is the right tool to make a decision here.

Peter Satera

Hungry Member
This looks so awesome, seriously. But I'm curious as to the purpose of being able to extended the range of instruments?
Sometimes you just need to edge out of the playable range, this is a feature in some libs like Jaeger and Metro Ark. It's also beneficial for sound design. I do it MA2, where you can drop the basses by a semitone or two.

KEM

Sometimes you just need to edge out of the playable range, this is a feature in some libs like Jaeger and Metro Ark. It's also beneficial for sound design. I do it MA2, where you can drop the basses by a semitone or two.
Interesting, could be fun to mess around with!

Nils Neumann

Good luck!

But it is recorded in wholetone anyway. So basically both come from the same sample^^