What's new

Orchestral Tools: Junkie XL Brass—new update for solo horn and horn sections available

The question is: How will it blend with libraries from other companies?

Honestly: This library sounds awesome, but I still want to use my other libraries (SCS/BBC etc...)

Lovely sound and great options with the mic positions. But in the walkthrough I also see a lot of switching between different articulations to make it sound believable. I have come to love the more performant patches of certain developers (you know who I mean). So I wonder if it would be possible for OT to also add some kind of performance patches with some clever scripting.

THE WALKTHROUGH HAS ARRIVED!!! Although some of you guys already noticed...

The first Junkie XL Brass WALKTHROUGH is live and we can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

This Walkthrough delves into the mic positions, mic mixes (including some by Tom and Alan Meyerson), and you can really hear the 5 dynamic layers.

What a great sounding brass library! Also in this vid we all can see and listen how important the different mic positions are. Very good!

From 6.41 on ..., 7.00 till 7.17 I hear some tuning issues, but I like it as is. This makes the library more lively. (good meant)

Congrats!

-G

Lovely sound and great options with the mic positions. But in the walkthrough I also see a lot of switching between different articulations to make it sound believable. I have come to love the more performant patches of certain developers (you know who I mean). So I wonder if it would be possible for OT to also add some kind of performance patches with some clever scripting.

in most cases the recurring theme is the same, requires recording in dry/close rooms and all sorts of phase aligning.

There are plenty or playable libraries, and the two paths dont really intersect.

either the sound is great but takes some articulation management to make phrases, or its playable but sounds dull and flat so you spend all your time trying to make it sound good.

pick your poison

What a great sounding brass library! Also in this vid we all can see and listen how important the different mic positions are. Very good!

From 6.41 on ..., 7.00 till 7.17 I hear some tuning issues, but I like it as is. This makes the library more lively. (good meant)

Congrats!

-G

I though that was an intentional pitch bend at first?

Surely pitch change at the end of the phrase is intentional....? If not, that is poor.

in most cases the recurring theme is the same, requires recording in dry/close rooms and all sorts of phase aligning.

There are plenty or playable libraries, and the two paths dont really intersect.

either the sound is great but takes some articulation management to make phrases, or its playable but sounds dull and flat so you spend all your time trying to make it sound good.

pick your poison
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Performance Samples or Musical Sampling. Highly performant patches without key switching and a great sound.
Something like these as performance patches in JXL Brass would win me over.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Performance Samples or Musical Sampling. Highly performant patches without key switching and a great sound.

those aren't really realistic sounding in the first place. None of those have legato, and they are just attacks layered with sustains, something you could likely build with many kontakt brass libraries if you can get under the hood to adjust the asdr and stack a few articulations

to clarify, it's simply limited in the types of phrasing it can play - although the various attack type sustains are also available in other libraries that use articulations - and the lengths of shorts again are all often provided. These shorts are also much more natural as well, because no matter how good your mod wheel game is, you're probably not going to produce the same difference between an 8th and a 16th played in live vs an actual recorded staccato vs staccatissimo.

I do very much enjoy playable libraries, but if you were going to try to produce a finished product - it'll be a massive headache to get it to sound good unless you spend a mountain of time getting it to sound right. Caspian/adventure brass are a little easier to get sounding full/decent but again - they can't really do pretty common techniques.

Last edited:

Like the Spitfire performance patches? Yeah, would be nice and maybe a future addition?
I don't think the player is capable of it in it's current release, might see different in later videos?
Using Vienna Instruments it's relatively easy to do this, as you can setup different articulations by velocity or speed. So you can go from legato -> trem -> pizz for eg within one pass just by velocity. But it has years of development over sine, but future updates n all?

That looks exactly like it :)
I much prefer this when writing, as I'm hopeless with keyswitches. Nice find!
all you have to do is write with a sustain patch and then change the articulations afterwards - you're overthinking it. I'm terrible at keyboard even without keyswitches being involved :P

Reactions: JW
all you have to do is write with a sustain patch and then change the articulations afterwards - you're overthinking it. I'm terrible at keyboard even without keyswitches being involved :P

lol, I have 10 thumbs so I feel your pain. I prefer performance patches though, it write differently. If I even stick with legato I'll write the same old crap over and over. These help me make more fancy crap... over and over.
But these Poly maps seem to be the ticket :)

those aren't really realistic sounding in the first place. None of those have legato, and they are just attacks layered with sustains, something you could likely build with many kontakt brass libraries if you can get under the hood to adjust the asdr and stack a few articulations

to clarify, it's simply limited in the types of phrasing it can play - although the various attack type sustains are also available in other libraries that use articulations - and the lengths of shorts again are all often provided. These shorts are also much more natural as well, because no matter how good your mod wheel game is, you're probably not going to produce the same difference between an 8th and a 16th played in live vs an actual recorded staccato vs staccatissimo.

I do very much enjoy playable libraries, but if you were going to try to produce a finished product - it'll be a massive headache to get it to sound good unless you spend a mountain of time getting it to sound right. Caspian/adventure brass are a little easier to get sounding full/decent but again - they can't really do pretty common techniques.
Well, to each his own. Playable patches like the ones I mentioned are huge timesavers for me. It's so tedious to put in the keyswitches while on the other hand it's so easy to just play in a line with a breath controller and be done with it. And they do sound great when they are used in the right context. But then again I like to play in stuff live. Anyway it was a suggestion/question towards OT. It would be a selling point for customer's like me.

@OrchestralTools Donno if this has been asked before but,

Now that you have your own player and I assume future libraries will be built in this player, will you allow license transfers and refunds?

Also, how many round robins do the shorts have? And do we have different attack options for the legato/sustain?

Last edited:
Has any owner of the Inspire series been able to use their discount vochers on the new website? Mine only gives me "Invalid voucher" error.

Tried to contact support but not received an answer yet.

Has any owner of the Inspire series been able to use their discount vochers on the new website? Mine only gives me "Invalid voucher" error.

Tried to contact support but not received an answer yet.

Tobias at support seems rather busy these days, but so far no inquiry of mine has gone unanswered.
As I wrote in another thread, I was told the discounts are still valid, but the website doesn't support them at the time being. Support has ways of activating the discount for you so that the website accepts it. Tobias did so with my -50 one. I'm still waiting for my -100 one to be activated, though. (I'm strongly considering Berlin Strings and already dreaming of making string arrangements... no kidding!)

Tobias at support seems rather busy these days, but so far no inquiry of mine has gone unanswered.
As I wrote in another thread, I was told the discounts are still valid, but the website doesn't support them at the time being. Support has ways of activating the discount for you so that the website accepts it. Tobias did so with my -50 one. I'm still waiting for my -100 one to be activated, though. (I'm strongly considering Berlin Strings and already dreaming of making string arrangements... no kidding!)

Awesome, thanks for the info :)

Top Bottom